• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

6 July 2009: MCPL Pat Audet, CPL Martin Joannette, R.I.P.

Occam

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Two Canadian soldiers killed in helicopter crash

Updated Mon. Jul. 6 2009 11:27 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Two Canadian soldiers have died in a helicopter crash in Afghanistan, along with another coalition soldier. Three other Canadians were injured.

The killed Canadians have been identified as Master Cpl. Pat Audet, 38, and Cpl. Martin Joannette, 25.

Military officials say it was a coalition helicopter that crashed at a U.S. base in Zabul province, about 80 kilometres northeast of Kandahar where the bulk of Canadian troops are based.

Insurgents were not involved in the incident.

The latest casualties bring Canada's military death toll in Afghanistan to 124 since the mission began in 2002.

Developing story...

RIP Cplc Audet, Cpl Joannette and the other NATO soldier.  :salute:

Thoughts and prayers to family, friends and comrades and wishes for a quick and full recovery for the other injured members of the crew.

----------

Updated Mon. Jul. 6 2009 11:56 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Two Canadian soldiers have died in a Griffon helicopter crash in Afghanistan, along with another coalition soldier. Three other Canadians were injured.

The killed Canadians have been identified as Master Cpl. Pat Audet, 38, and Cpl. Martin Joannette, 25. Both were based in Valcartier, Que.

Audet served with the 430 Tactical Helicopter Squadron, and Joannette was with the 3e Bataillon, Royal 22e Regiment.

Two of the injured soldiers were able to return to duty, while the third was listed in stable condition.

Military officials say the helicopter crashed at a U.S. base in Zabul province, about 80 kilometres northeast of Kandahar where the bulk of Canadian troops are based.

Insurgents were not involved in the incident, suggesting the helicopter may have suffered from mechanical failure.

"A flight-safety investigation is currently underway to determine the cause of the crash," said Canadian commander Brig.-Gen. Jonathan Vance.

Griffons are used mainly to transport troops, and are part of the Canadian Helicopter Force Afghanistan. They have been used by the Canadian military since the start of this year.

The majority of Canadian soldier killed in Afghanistan have died from IED blasts along Kandahar's dangerous roads. Because of that, helicopters are considered a much safer method of transportation.

"With the arrival of the Griffon and Chinook helicopters in our area of operations, (Audet and Joannette) played a valuable role in reducing exposures to IEDs, and by providing aviation support to combat operations," said Vance.

Audet was on his first deployment to Afghanistan. He is survived by a wife, Katherine, and his parents. Joanette, although younger, was on his third deployment. He leaves behind a wife, Marie-Eve.

"Their contribution here in Afghanistan was incredible, and we will remember their sacrifice always," said Vance.

Canada has now lost four soldiers in as many days. Cpl. Nicholas Bulger died from an improvised explosive device on July 3, and Master Cpl. Charles-Philippe Michaud died the next day, succumbing from injuries he had suffered in a bomb blast the previous month.

"It has been an extremely difficult week here in Kandahar," said Vance. "We all are feeling a great sense of loss."

The latest casualties bring Canada's military death toll in Afghanistan to 124 since the mission began in 2002.

With files from The Canadian Press

High Flight

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air. . . .

Up, up the long, delirious burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or ever eagle flew —
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

— John Gillespie Magee, Jr

Rest in peace my Tac Hel brothers . . .

What a horribly sad week for our troops.

RIP Soldiers.

2 Canadian soldiers die in Afghanistan helicopter crash
Third soldier from NATO coalition also died
Last Updated: Tuesday, July 7, 2009 | 1:05 AM ET
CBC News

audet-dnd.jpg

Master Cpl. Patrice Audet died in Afghanistan on Monday in a helicopter crash in Zabul province, about 80 kilometres northeast of Kandahar city. (DND)

Two Canadian soldiers and another from the NATO coalition in Afghanistan died Monday in a helicopter crash that may have been caused by mechanical failure or human error.

The Canadians were Master Cpl. Patrice Audet, 38, and Cpl. Martin Joannette, 25. Three other Canadian soldiers, whose names weren't disclosed in keeping with military policy, were injured. Two of them have already returned to work while the third one was in stable condition at the hospital at the Kandahar Airfield.

The home country of the third coalition soldier was not identified.

The crash comes after the deaths of two other Canadian soldiers, one of whom died Friday following the explosion of a roadside bomb and another who succumbed Saturday to wounds sustained last month.

"It has been an extremely difficult week here in Kandahar," Canadian commander Brig.-Gen. Jonathan Vance said early Tuesday. "We all are feeling a great sense of loss."

The crash occurred at about 1:50 p.m. local time at an American forward operating base in Zabul province, about 80 kilometres northeast of Kandahar city, and was not related to insurgent activity, the military said.

joanette-dnd.jpg

Cpl. Martin Joannette died in a helicopter crash in Afghanistan that was not the result enemy fire, but may have been caused by mechanical failure or human error. (DND)

The Zabul base is outside Canada's main sphere of operations, but the crew was apparently on a transport mission.

The cause of the crash has not been determined, but enemy fire has been ruled out, Vance said.

"A flight-safety investigation is currently underway to determine the cause of the crash," he said.

Audet served with the 430 Tactical Helicopter Squadron while Joannette was with the 3e Bataillon, Royal 22e Regiment. Both were based at Valcartier, Que.

Vance described Audet as a "charismatic man who always knew the right words to put a smile on someone's face" and as a "big man with a gentle heart."

Joannette had a "heart of gold and a remarkable generosity," Vance said. "He was a proud and devoted infantryman who excelled in adversity."

The latest deaths bring to 124 the number of Canadian soldiers who have died as part of the Afghan mission since 2002.

With files from The Canadian Press

May they rest in peace.

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery to the wounded and for comfort for those who remain.  :salute:

RIP boys and a speedy recovery to the three.

Pat, you always had a smile on your face and an ear ready to listen.  You were a great sounding board and always made me laugh.  You will be missed.

Damn.....

Condolences to the family, colleagues and friends of the fallen, and hopes for a quick recovery for the wounded.

:salute:

RIP Soldiers :salute: My prayers go out for the family, friends. and the wounded.

This, from the UK's Ministry of Defence:
It is with great sadness that the Ministry of Defence must announce that a soldier from 22 Engineer Regiment, Royal Engineers, died in a helicopter incident in Afghanistan yesterday, Monday 6 July 2009.

The incident took place while on takeoff in Zabul province, Afghanistan, yesterday afternoon.

Spokesman for Task Force Helmand, Lieutenant Colonel Nick Richardson, said:

"Today has been a sad day in the history of Task Force Helmand and this death has deeply moved us. The loss of a soldier, friend and colleague is tragic and our thoughts are with his family and friends at this sad time."

Next of kin have been informed and have asked for a period of grace before further details are released.

RIP MCpl Audet and Cpl Joannette.  My condolences to their comrades, families, friends and loved ones.  I hope the rest of the crew recovers quickly, in every sense.

Per Ardua Ad Astra :cdn:

Je Me Souviens :cdn:

Condolences to the family and friends.

Rest in peace.  :salute:

Per Ardua Ad Astra

RIP Troops. You've done your duty, now we WILL do ours.

We WILL remember you.

:salute:

Rest in Peace, troops.My most sincere condolences to the family and friends of our fallen comrades. Speedy recovery to the wounded. Ubique :cdn: :yellow: :cdn: :yellow:

Does anyone know when they will arrive in canada and begin their journey down the highway of heroes? Today, tomorrow....?

Back