• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

7 billion - National Geographic

Alea

Inactive
Reaction score
Very interesting article by Robert Kunzig. http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/01/seven-billion/kunzig-text

Extracts:
"And the explosion, though it is slowing, is far from over. Not only are people living longer, but so many women across the world are now in their childbearing years—1.8 billion—that the global population will keep growing for another few decades at least, even though each woman is having fewer children than she would have had a generation ago."

"With the population still growing by about 80 million each year, it’s hard not to be alarmed. Right now on Earth, water tables are falling, soil is eroding, glaciers are melting, and fish stocks are vanishing."

"In the 1970s, Ehrlich predicted, “hundreds of millions of people are going to starve to death,” and it was too late to do anything about it. “The cancer of population growth … must be cut out,” Ehrlich wrote, “by compulsion if voluntary methods fail.” The very future of the United States was at risk."

"Sterilization is the dominant form of birth control in India today, and the vast majority of the procedures are performed on women. The government is trying to change that; a no-scalpel vasectomy costs far less and is easier on a man than a tubal ligation is on a woman. In the operating theater Bortamuly worked quickly. “They say the needle pricks like an ant bite,” he explained, when the first patient flinched at the local anesthetic. “After that it’s basically painless, bloodless surgery.” "

"Eight billion corresponds to the UN’s lowest projection for 2050. In that optimistic scenario, Bangladesh has a fertility rate of 1.35 in 2050, but it still has 25 million more people than it does today. Rwanda’s fertility rate also falls below the replacement level, but its population still rises to well over twice what it was before the genocide. If that’s the optimistic scenario, one might argue, the future is indeed bleak."

And youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc4HxPxNrZ0

Alea

Population-Seven-Billion-picture:-India%20Crowded-Streets.jpg

Edit to add the link to the article ;)

More reason to colonize the moon.

In the mean time, I'll keep doing my thing. ;D

HavokFour said:
More reason to colonize the moon.

As very well explained in the article and the video, space is not the problem - 7 billion of us stand in the city of Los Angeles - balance is the problem.

Alea

I hate to be a wet blanket, but the author is known for his book on the ocean floor, which apparently was excellent. He also wrote the article in National Geographic which trashed the oil sands. My alarm goes off as I feel these days he may be more into activism than science. Having said that, over-population and the rest pose a serious challenge, but let us try to look at both sides.

Back