• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A-10 Warthog Markings / Afghanistan

RHFC_piper

Reaction score
I figured this was probably the best place to put this, since it has to do with modeling...

I'm looking for pictures/information on the A-10 Wing/Squadron which was operating in Afghanistan in Fall 2006... specifically, the A-10s supporting Op Medusa.
I realize that this may be an OpSec issue, so if this information is available but should not be made public on a forums, I would appreciate a PM with a link or some info.. if the info is just 100% OpSec, then never mind... I know the score.  But, please realize, my intentions are fairly harmless...

Why do I want this info?  As odd as it sounds, coming from a person who has had a close encounter with one of these aircraft, I have a model of an A-10 which was given to me as a gift... from my father... real sensitive, eh?  Anyway, I figure if I'm going to build a model of an A-10, I think it would only be fitting to give it the markings of the wing that covered my ass during combat, and shot it up after breakfast.  Seems strange, I know... But I like the irony.

Anyway, there it is.  Need to know markings to accurately build a model.  If anyone can help out, it would be much appreciated.

I like your idea piper...nothing like staring the devil in the eye ( so to speak)

by Maj. David Kurle
455th Air Expeditionary Wing Public Affairs

8/17/2006 - BAGRAM AIRFIELD, Afghanistan -- This summer's rotation of A-10 pilots here is almost a 50-50 mix of active duty from the 81st Fighter Squadron, Spangdahlem Air Base, Germany, and Air Force reservists from the 303rd FS, Whiteman Air Force Base, Mo.

Both sets of pilots have come together as a single team to employ the A-10 in the close-air-support role it was made for, protecting U.S. and Coalition forces on the ground in the fight against extremists in Afghanistan.

The active-duty pilots tend to be younger, with less time in the A-10, while the Air Force Reserve Command pilots are more seasoned.

"I relied heavily on the reservists' experience to help my younger pilots gain combat experience," said Col. Keith McBride, 81st EFS commander and a squadron commander back at his home base of Spangdahlem.

To foster a single team, he added the two units' numbers together and took to calling the unit the 384th EFS.

"It doesn't really matter if you're an active-duty guy or a Reserve guy," said Col. Tony Johnson, 455th Expeditionary Operations Group commander here and a reservist from the 442nd FW. "An A-10 pilot is an A-10 pilot no matter where you go."

Another common trait to all A-10 pilots is the extensive training in the aircraft, the only one of its kind, specially designed for its primary mission of close-air support.

"It's amazing how the training we do back home has been validated by the execution of the mission here," said Capt. Rick Mitchell, a pilot from the 442nd. "Our training back home is so intense that it really serves us well here." (AFRC News Service)

http://www.afrc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123025309

Not sure if this is the correct timeframe but..... looks like this was a hybrid squadron

Wow... I honestly didn't think I'd get any kind of response... Thanks a lot guys.

CDN Aviator said:
I like your idea piper...nothing like staring the devil in the eye ( so to speak)

To be quite honest, I want to find out the markings of "THE" A-10...  Sounds morbid, but I figure it's some kind of weird tribute.
I looked through the BOI papers again, but all the names are censored (obviously)... 

Either way, I don't mean to put the pilot in an odd situation, honestly, as I've said before, I'd like to meet him and let him know I hold no grudge. Accidents happen, even on the battlefield... but that's a discussion for another thread.

Gunner said:

Thanks a lot... lots of good pics.

geo said:
Not sure if this is the correct time frame but..... looks like this was a hybrid squadron

Looks like the right time frame to me; August-Sept 06.  And my understanding from the BOI is that he was a reservist.

Anyway, thanks a lot guys... I'm starting on the model tonight.  May take me a while, but I'll post pics when I'm done.

20001.jpg

An A-10 Thunderbolt II moves into position behind a KC-135 Stratotanker on a combat mission over Afghanistan. The A-10 is deployed from the 442nd Fighter Wing, an Air Force Reserve unit based at Whiteman Air Force Base, Mo., to Bagram Airfield in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.
© US Air Force photo/Lt. Col. Marcel Dionne

pic100.jpg

tomahawk6 said:
An A-10 Thunderbolt II moves into position behind a KC-135 Stratotanker on a combat mission over Afghanistan. The A-10 is deployed from the 442nd Fighter Wing, an Air Force Reserve unit based at Whiteman Air Force Base, Mo., to Bagram Airfield in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.
© US Air Force photo/Lt. Col. Marcel Dionne

Awesome!  thanks for the pics and the confirmation of the deployed unit.  Found lots of good pics from the 442nd.  That'll really help.

Now keep in mind, I'm no tiking... My models don't come close to the level of detail seen in some of his "modern Builds" (which are absolutely amazing... especially since most of them are scratch built)... I just like tinkering with model kits and doing my best to put them together without the canopy glass fogging up from the glue, or losing pieces when I get interrupted mid-build. Don't expect anything spectacular... It's just going to be an A-10, kit built.

Anyway, thanks again for all the info. 

Cheers

The wing has one combat squadron -  303rd Fighter Squadron.

Back