• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A couple of questions

H

herr_scooter

I have a couple of questions as I have been out of the "Army Loop" for a little while.

First of all a little biography:

I have just recieved notice of a possible posting in my civvie job. I enrolled in the Militia in 1992. I served with various Militia Infantry Regiments until 1997 when I moved to Yellowknife, NWT. I served for on a one year attachment to 440 Air Reserve Augmentation Flight (Don‘t ask...I‘m still in therapy, but the word PURGATORY comes to mind). I submitted my request for release to the Sup. Reserve in 1998 upon moving to Iqaluit, Nunavut and recieved it in March of this year at the Rank of Mcpl. Bearing this in mind.

1. What is the process one undertakes in my situation when one wishes to get back into the Primary Reserve?

2. Upon transferring back to the Primary Reserve should I expect to loose any Rank, Time in Rank, or Qualifications?

3. Would anyone on this forum care to share their impressions of the Royal Regina Rifles?

4. Does anyone know if the Royal Regina Rifles still have a Mortar tasking?

Thanks in advance for your time and input.

Scoot

I haven‘t worked with the Royal Regina Rifles, but I met some of their troops at RV a while back, they seemed checked out. I knew of one very good officer from the Rifles from my "school" days.

I think you‘ll have to call the recruiters on this query, but also contact the gaining unit. There‘s always some possible horse trading.

As far as I know you keep trade quals for 5 years, after that, sometimes people have to re-do crses. Work it, and don‘t delay! Qualified MCpls are very valuable, as are all troops.

I‘ve met some of their officers while on course - one I liked very much eventually became their CO.

By the way, even if you don‘t transfer in your civvie job, I wonder whether there would be any way for you to work with the Canadian Rangers while you‘re in Iqualit ... ?

Dileas Gu Brath
M.A. Bossi, Esquire

All the Regina Rifles that I have worked for are outstanding troops. Good, hard working and decent. Not the typical Militia "chip-on-my-shoulder" troops. They have some excellent Mcpls: Knibbs, Bird, and "Gunny" come to mind pretty quick.
As for the mortar tasking, I think that all the miltia units have lost there taskings in Western Area. Too bad, but that is just another idiotic government thing. (and they wonder why troop retention is so low!)
--The Rev.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunatley the individual Ranger Patrol‘s vote on who they enroll. As there are limited strengths for Patrols it can be difficult to get in. In some communities (Iqaluit, rumour has it is one) if you are not Inuit you‘re out of luck. As for working on a tasking as a Pri-Res NCO, unfortunatley I was SOL as my father was (until last month) the CO of the Patrol Group.

As for the points about the militia losing its support taskings, I agree that wasn‘t the brightest move. I know that when I was in the PLF the Mortar Platoon there did the BC fire planning course twice and we were able to offer our Mcpl‘s and above the opportunity to attend the Advanced Mortar Course (which made for a pretty big carrot when necessary). It also allowed our troops to get a better appreciation of the Infantry Bn in battle.

Back