• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Deeply Fractured US

If Trump had kept a senior official investigating his son in place despite them being an Obama appointee, and upon being charged the extent of his reaction was to release a press statement through his staff, as follows:

“The president and first lady love their son and support him as he continues to rebuild his life,” White House spokesman Ian Sams said in a statement. “We will have no further comment.”

It would have been notable as the first time he'd handled bad news in a mature way in the past 77 years.

I'm glad that Hunter Biden got charged in a "nobody should be above the law" way. To argue that this was some sort of grand fix put in by the White House is nonsense.

To argue that this was some sort of grand fix put in by the White House is nonsense.
Sure, but who is arguing that here? My position has long been that there aren't any grand conspiracies; there are just motivated people using their position and authority. Political appointees are usually not apolitical.

To get a straightforward "customary" handling of Hunter Biden's misdeeds, the people pulling on threads would have to be confident none of the threads would unravel Joe Biden. As long as no-one can firmly and plausibly deny that companies owned by Biden family members have received millions of dollars from foreigners, or equally strongly explain what it is those companies and the Biden family members do that is worth that kind of money, people who don't know the truth have to wonder about what happens if they dig.

Sure, but who is arguing that here? My position has long been that there aren't any grand conspiracies; there are just motivated people using their position and authority. Political appointees are usually not apolitical.

To get a straightforward "customary" handling of Hunter Biden's misdeeds, the people pulling on threads would have to be confident none of the threads would unravel Joe Biden. As long as no-one can firmly and plausibly deny that companies owned by Biden family members have received millions of dollars from foreigners, or equally strongly explain what it is those companies and the Biden family members do that is worth that kind of money, people who don't know the truth have to wonder about what happens if they dig.
You could easily drop some Trump family into that equation too.

You could easily drop some Trump family into that equation too.
Jared Kushner, certainly. Democrats want an investigation into his Saudi Arabian connections. That's politically difficult unless an investigation into Hunter's Ukrainian and Chinese connections is pursued with equal vigour. I doubt any Democrats are willing to trade an investigation that probably ends with Jared for one that might not end until it reaches Joe.

Jared Kushner, certainly. Democrats want an investigation into his Saudi Arabian connections. That's politically difficult unless an investigation into Hunter's Ukrainian and Chinese connections is pursued with equal vigour. I doubt any Democrats are willing to trade an investigation that probably ends with Jared for one that might not end until it reaches Joe.
I don’t honestly think that Democrats will need to do that. I suspect that JK will get run down his father in law’s bus on the Secrets for Sale tour…

• Humorous
Reactions: QV
There is no doubt 45's handling of material labelled with classification markings raises concerns, but do you really think he was selling the USA's most sensitive secrets to the biggest bidder? Come on...

There is no doubt 45's handling of material labelled with classification markings raises concerns, but do you really think he was selling the USA's most sensitive secrets to the biggest bidder? Come on...
He clearly sold some Pardons at the end, so no I don’t think that is past him at this point.

I think the election loss caused him to have a break with reality and his no longer the same person that he was before.

"I am sitting here with my father and we would like to understand why the commitment made has not been fulfilled. Tell the director that I would like to resolve this now before it gets out of hand, and now means tonight" Biden wrote. "And, Z, if I get a call or text from anyone involved in this other than you, Zhang, or the chairman, I will make certain that between the man sitting next to me and every person he knows and my ability to forever hold a grudge that you will regret not following my direction. I am sitting here waiting for the call with my father."

- Jared Kushner probably.

We’ve gone from a president falsely accused of being entangled with a hostile foreign power to a president whose family has been financially entangled with a hostile foreign power.

The same people who assured us, constantly, that the walls were about to close in on Donald Trump in the Russia investigation have endorsed, promoted, and defended Joe Biden, a man whose family business involves taking money from shady foreign actors.

The latest revelation is a shocking alleged WhatsApp message from Hunter Biden to one Henry Zhao, an employee with the Chinese firm CEFC Infrastructure Investment, threatening him to pay up or face the music because Hunter was “sitting here with my father.” Hunter helpfully explained, “I will make certain that between the man sitting next to me and every person he knows and my ability to forever hold a grudge that you will regret not following my direction.”

To be faaaaair, he hasn’t contradicted himself. Trump’s alleged crimes took place after his administration, and he’s very definitely not above the law with thirty seven title 18 felony charges going to court.

Prosecution has requested a trial date in December. Very unlikely that the CIPA proceedings are done and defence ready that fast, but the matter appears set to proceed apace. Ideally this wraps before the primaries so that both the accused and the public have the benefit of this no longer hanging over a significant candidate, one way or another.

Back