• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Hunting Thread- A Swerve from The Global Warming Thread

Saying no one needs a pick up truck is the environmental equivalent of saying everyone should just get their meat from the store so we don't have to kill animals for it......

As a guy who supplants a good portion of his families proteins intake with wild game I harvest myself, I always love when people who buy meat from a grocery store are put off by hunting. The only thing I don't do, yet, is butcher. Its just a matter of space.

The only two groups I will entertain in a discussion about anti hunting are vegans and vegetarians (and their derivatives). I can respect a person who has made their choices. That's a tough row to hoe if you ask me.

As a guy who supplants a good portion of his families proteins intake with wild game I harvest myself, I always love when people who buy meat from a grocery store are put off by hunting. The only thing I don't do, yet, is butcher. Its just a matter of space.

The only two groups I will entertain in a discussion about anti hunting are vegans and vegetarians (and their derivatives). I can respect a person who has made their choices. That's a tough row to hoe if you ask me.
Well I'm put off by hunting and fishing, but only because I'm a sadsack about killing stuff,....I'll catch flies in my hand and walk them outside to release them, but I know exactly where my Big Mac comes from, and every taste bud I have is glad that not everyone's a pussy like me.

EDIT....took this off topic, my bad.
:rolleyes:

I was looking at reviews for one of the hunting stores here, at first glance it looked terrible, then I started reading and realized that it was 50% 5 star from their customers and 50% 1 star from Karen bitching that hunting is bad.

I was looking at reviews for one of the hunting stores here, at first glance it looked terrible, then I started reading and realized that it was 50% 5 star from their customers and 50% 1 star from Karen bitching that hunting is bad.

Which one ?

I opined that, in my view, for certain people in certain situations, I think owning one is impractical.

You opined that people who don't own one, should.

This getting tiresome.

I agree. You should leave others alone an take a nap :)

season 13 GIF

3 stars, but as far as I can tell, anyone who has shopped there gave them 5.

Chesher's Outdoor Store

I'm from the Kingston area, but I've lived in Halifax for 22 years. Check out Bronson and Bronson in Kingston.

I know the owner, we played football and rugby together growing up. Good cat. Small and local. With what I found were reasonable prices.

Another local and vet owned is SFRC. Good spot and huge selection.

I can't imagine being a meat eater but also anti hunting. Is that a real stance that some people have, beyond just being repulsed by the acts of killing and butchering?

I think it might make even less sense than being a flat earther.

I think it might make even less sense than being a flat earther.
Really? Well let me explain it to you.

There's a legal concept called mens rea, meaning having a guilty mind, which is one of the two elements required to be guilty of a crime. We have this because we recognize that as humans, the same actioned can be viewed and treated differently depending on the state of mind of the individual.

So, what's this have to do with meat eaters and hunting? Well, we recognize that humans are animals, and more specifically we are omnivores. So, we farm animals and slaughter them in the most humane way possible. We aren't doing it because we WANT to "kill" animals, but because we recognize that eating meat is a core aspect of our species, and we need to survive. Hunters on the other hand kill animals because they find it "fun" to hunt and kill animals. That's a completely different state of mind. Sure, you might "use" all of the animal you killed so it doesn't go to waste, but you could have much more easily just bought butchered meat; you decided to do it old school because you WANTED to.

So, yea. There's nothing complicated about the idea that some people might be fine with eating meat, but object to the idea of killing animals out of "fun" as opposed to necessity.

There's a legal concept called mens rea, meaning having a guilty mind, which is one of the two elements required to be guilty of a crime. We have this because we recognize that as humans, the same actioned can be viewed and treated differently depending on the state of mind of the individual.

So, what's this have to do with meat eaters and hunting? Well, we recognize that humans are animals, and more specifically we are omnivores. So, we farm animals and slaughter them in the most humane way possible. We aren't doing it because we WANT to "kill" animals, but because we recognize that eating meat is a core aspect of our species, and we need to survive. Hunters on the other hand kill animals because they find it "fun" to hunt and kill animals. That's a completely different state of mind. Sure, you might "use" all of the animal you killed so it doesn't go to waste, but you could have much more easily just bought butchered meat; you decided to do it old school because you WANTED to.

So, yea. There's nothing complicated about the idea that some people might be fine with eating meat, but object to the idea of killing animals out of "fun" as opposed to necessity.
I’m pretty sure some people think that meat just comes ‘from the factory’ and can’t comprehend that beef used to be a cow.

Thread split time ?

Ive hunted all my life and I still find it surreal when I go to gut and clean a bear, for example, I was watching sometimes for months on camera and in person just mere minutes before.

I would argue that further supports the sentiment that we have become disconnected from our food. The whole Bambi effect.

Its easy to cognitively comprehend that t bone wasn't a living cow when most have only ever seen them in cellophane wrap in the grocery store, or from a distance as they drive by a farm.

Part of hunting is that act of actually doing the job yourself and proving to yourself that you can whether you use a bow or a firearm. Skills and traditions that were used by most people until recently. I dont find it fun to kill the animal even if the experince in its totality is fun. Ive never been with anyone that appeared to enjoy the actual killing and I wouldnt want to. Satisfaction? yes? I can shoot an animal on the farm or what have you and the killing is the same

Part of hunting is that act of actually doing the job yourself and proving to yourself that you can whether you use a bow or a firearm. Skills and traditions that were used by most people until recently. I dont find it fun to kill the animal even if the experince in its totality is fun. Ive never been with anyone that appeared to enjoy the actual killing and I wouldnt want to. Satisfaction? yes? I can shoot an animal on the farm or what have you and the killing is the same

Well said.

Hunting is fun; the kill is depressing. However, the hunter is one up on people who want to raise animals "humanely" - can't get much more "humane" than allowing the animal to live a free life beforehand.

Some people hate hunting because they hate guns and hate "rednecks". Just another bullet point in the culture wars.

I've gone out twice for a deer hunt, and never shot anything - even though one walked right in front of me. It just wasn't really my cup of tea. However, I've had no trouble with fishing for barracuda and marlin in Jamaica. Maybe I have a subconscious hierarchy, and I see mammals as above fish? My only concern is that if I'm going to kill something, it has to be done as quickly as possible, and every hunter I've talked to shares that sentiment. As long as there is overall control on the numbers taken, in order to ensure that our great-great-grandchildren and beyond can enjoy the challenge, then I don't really have a problem.

Hunting is fun; the kill is depressing. However, the hunter is one up on people who want to raise animals "humanely" - can't get much more "humane" than allowing the animal to live a free life beforehand.

Some people hate hunting because they hate guns and hate "rednecks". Just another bullet point in the culture wars.
This exactly. All of it. That's /thread right there.

Couldn't say it in better or fewer words.

But.

@Lumber What in the honey boo boo coffee crisp sunny sunday with a cherry on top is this take? Now, I knew you were left-wing but Jeeeeesus Christ on a bike. This is LEFT left.

Others have already exposed how wrong your perspective on hunting is by contrasting it with theirs, so I'll just add this: Mens rea does not apply to the actions of others, so nothing to do with opposing others' hunting activities. You feeling bad about hunting is not the hunter's problem. I know bringing up legal principles is always tempting when factual arguments are lacking but... they've actually got to be applied properly.

Hunting is a legal activity. I have all the legal requirements to do that legal activity. I respect my kills and use as much of the animal as possible. Growing up, we ate squirrels to supplement the meals of the ten people in my family. Ive been hunting, cleaning and eating game since I was eight. So it really doesn't matter what anyone thinks. I'll hunt if I want.

There's nothing complicated about the idea that some people might be fine with eating meat, but object to the idea of killing animals out of "fun" as opposed to necessity.

Define fun and define necessity.

I enjoy hunting, but I don't consider it or the kill 'fun.'
Nor do I hunt out of necessity anymore.

I legally hunt because it's my choice to do so.
And the outrage from detractors makes it even sweeter.

Back