• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A rank question which is from a ND news. Pte vs Cpl.

Hay

Inactive
Reaction score
I learned that everyone would be the rank of Pte after recuriting. And then, they could be Cpl after 4 years service.

How come Mr. Rickey Krszwda could be Corporal  within 3 years?
He might be Cpl after a short time after recuriting, though.

Anyone has an idea about this?
Thank you!

Supply technician begins CF career at 34
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/commun/ml-fe/article-eng.asp?id=1917

The Cpl in question is a reservist. Reservists typically reach corporal more quickly than regular force soldiers, however the rank doesnt necessarily transfer if a reservist cpl wanted to switch to regular.

Normal progression to Cpl in the Reg F is 48 months.  COs may advance promote some of their top performers no earlier than 36 months, IAW CFAO 49-4, and within restrictions based on local or formation policies.

Ive seen people get there Cpl's (MP's are a good example) and Pte(T) right after BMQ, it depends if you have formal civilian trg, whether the CF recognizes the school etc.

We used to call them shake and bake.  Skilled Entry Plan, I think it was called.  We had LCIS Techs come in right from College with an electronics certificate who didn't know how to shoot a rifle.

I've seen Musicians handed their Grad Cert and Cheverons on Pde in Cornwallis for skilled entry positions.

(then she marched over and fell in with the band as it was her first posting)

Sapperian said:
The Cpl in question is a reservist. Reservists typically reach corporal more quickly than regular force soldiers, however the rank doesnt necessarily transfer if a reservist cpl wanted to switch to regular.

Correct.

A reservist can get promoted to Cpl after two years providing they have the other qualifications.

I was a leading seaman (= corporal) in the Naval Reserve at 18 years old, after only nine months in.  Even I thought that was ridiculous!  They've changed the rules since then.

Back