• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Request from Teacher Rick Boon to Accompany his Father to Liberation Ceremony

Loachman

Former Army Pilot in Drag
Staff member
Directing Staff
Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.stratfordbeaconherald.com/2015/04/21/a-request-from-teacher-rick-boon-to-accompany-his-father-to-liberation-ceremonies-in-holland-has-been-denied-by-the-school-board

To Laura Cudworth:

I attended Hamlet (the original), King Lear, and Northwestern Secondary Schools in the 1960s and early 1970s. Many of my teachers in all three schools were Veterans, and Art Boon was the Company Sergeant-Major in T Company, Fourth Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment in Stratford when I joined as a Reserve (part time) Infantryman in March 1973, while still attending Northwestern. All of those men have played significant roles in my life, and none greater than Art Boon. I still see him on Remembrance Days, as I always return to Stratford for that occasion. Only a couple of the other Stratford Veterans that I know are left now.

Those who have never met Art, or those others now gone, have truly missed something.

He continues to support the people of Stratford to this day, especially Stratford's younger citizens. He cared enough to go to war so many decades ago, and he still cares about their futures today.

Northwestern Teacher Christine Ritsma, whom I know from my participation in Remembrance Day Services at Northwestern in recent years, and her colleagues there, work hard to ensure that their students are well aware of Canada's place in our world, earned by such men as Art, and, increasingly, by women. I am proud and gratified to see that my old School still maintains the Spirit, Values, and Standards that it held when I attended, even if its parent board does not.

Loreena McKennitt also understands, and I am greatly pleased (and unsurprised) to see her involvement in this matter.

I thank you, as well, and deeply, for writing this article and providing the links therein.

To Superintendent of Education Jodie Baker:

Denying Rick Boon's request to accompany Art on this trip is unbelievably shameful and small-minded. I cannot even begin to comprehend the thought processes that led to that extremely poor decision.

The Dutch government invited Art to the 70th anniversary of their liberation.

The Dutch government invited Art to the 70th anniversary of their liberation.

The DUTCH GOVERNMENT ...

Why do you suppose that they did that?

Do you have any idea at all what his presence means to the Dutch people, even after SEVENTY years? Do you have any idea at all what this invitation means to Art, who is willing to make this trip even at the age of ninety - NINETY - despite the toll that that will take on him? Do you have any idea at all what this honour means to his family?

Do you have any idea of the magnitude of the offence that you have offered to a still-grateful nation, whose school children lovingly tend the graves of those of Art's comrades who never returned to their homes and families? To Art? To Rick? To a large number of Stratford citizens and other Canadians? To me?

Yes, I take this matter personally.

A few lines from a poem by Robert Abraham come to mind: "Some men die by shrapnel, and some go down in flames, but most men perish inch by inch, in play at little games."

Art risked shrapnel, flames, and a multitude of other nastiness that you cannot fathom, and the Avon Maitland District School Board, well, the last half of that is thine.

It is not too late, however, to wake up and correct this.

Let his son go, but NOT unpaid as he requested. Pay him for his time. It is a small, small price compared to what Art has done for you, seventy-one years ago, and still today.

Please see to it, and quickly.

Loachman
formerly of Stratford

Yes, awesome.  The good citizens of Dalen in Northern Holland have not forgotten my uncle Walt and his crew who are buried in the Protestant graveyard of this town.  They tend to their graves and pay them the honours and respect of a grateful people. 

I do wonder at how many small minded people there are in today's society who only view such men as Mr. Boon as warmongers and current veterans and members as little better than war criminals.  At times it makes me wonder why I bother doing what I do for these ungrateful bastards of which they seem to spring forth like the Hydra of myth and legend as they multiply. 

I do hope that the members of this school board don't have those types amongst their number.

A sad commentary that Canadians are so overshadowed by the Dutch in paying respect towards those who liberated not only the Netherlands, but Europe, from they yoke of Nazi tyranny.  A sad commentary on a School Board who show no compassion towards an aging Veteran travelling, probably for the last time, to be so honoured by a grateful nation, and not having his son, a History teacher no less, accompany him.  A sad commentary that these small minded people are empowered with educating our youth.

As mentioned in the article, there is a petition to sign in the hope that this uncompassionate decision be overturned/reversed.  Hopefully saner heads prevail.

George Wallace said:
A sad commentary that Canadians are so overshadowed by the Dutch in paying respect towards those who liberated not only the Netherlands, but Europe, from they yoke of Nazi tyranny.  A sad commentary on a School Board who show no compassion towards an aging Veteran travelling, probably for the last time, to be so honoured by a grateful nation, and not having his son, a History teacher no less, accompany him.  A sad commentary that these small minded people are empowered with educating our youth.

As mentioned in the article, there is a petition to sign in the hope that this uncompassionate decision be overturned/reversed.  Hopefully saner heads prevail.

Why rely on the government? Crowd source the cash and eff 'em all in Ottawa....

It has nothing to do with Ottawa or money. The problem is the local school board, which will not even allow Art's son unpaid time off to accompany him.

Read the article, and sign the petition please. They may yet bend to pressure, but there isn't much time left.

I have been in contact with Loreena McKennitt's staff. Loreena's website has more information at http://loreenamckennitt.com/veteran/

The latest Stratford Beacon-Herald article is below.

Please sign the petition at the link at the end of the article. There is not much time left.

http://www.stratfordbeaconherald.com/2015/04/24/-loreena-mckennitt-will-present-petition-letters-to-amdsb-on-monday

Loreena McKennitt will present petition, letters to AMDSB on Monday

Laura Cudworth

By Laura Cudworth, The Beacon Herald

Friday, April 24, 2015 10:11:57 EDT AM 

Art Boon deserves more from school board

With just one week left before a 90-year-old veteran is supposed to depart for The Netherlands to mark the 70th anniversary of the liberation, his trip is clouded with uncertainty.

Art Boon, a decorated Second World War veteran, was invited to attend the commemoration services by the Dutch government. His son Rick Boon, a history teacher, is his companion on overseas trips.

When Rick requested an unpaid leave from human resources staff at the Avon Maitland District School Board that request was denied.

In response, international singer/songwriter Loreena McKennitt started an online petition and invited citizens to write a letter in support of the Boon family.

"Although this particular instance may involve a World War II veteran, I believe the principle involved is a much greater one, around which more and more Canadians are becoming aware and concerned... that of supporting their Canadian Forces members, past and present, and their families," she wrote in an open letter.

The public reaction has been swift but it appears the school board might not to budge.

Steve Howe, manager of communications for the board couldn't speak specifically about Rick's request for unpaid leave or the board's reasons for denying the request. In general terms, it would be up to human resources staff to reverse the verdict.

"Once a decision is made on an employee request it's rare that decision is reconsidered," he noted.

Stratford trustee Alyson Kent said the trustees can't overturn a staff decision but they do have a role to play.

"My role is to make sure the board office is aware the community is upset and they're behind the Boon family," Kent said.

She said she's in the process of doing that now.

If there's any doubt about the community's feelings, board staff will see it for themselves on Monday. McKennitt will present the board with letters and a petition at 12:30 p.m. at the board office in Seaforth. She's inviting any members of the public who are able to attend at the office as well.

The sacrifices made by Boon should be honoured and repaid, she suggested. This campaign is a call to action.

"It's one thing to be sympathetic but we must move to be soldiers of democracy."

Neither Boon or his son have spoken publicly about the human resources decision.

Board chair Randy Wagler said he couldn't comment on whether or not staff might have a change of heart.

"The issue isn't so much about Art Boon but his son and what the board can or can't do for his son," Wagler said.

But that's not the way many in the community see it. By denying Rick's request, the board automatically denies Boon the opportunity to travel abroad with his son by his side.

"The man fought for everything that we enjoy today. Do what is right. What will it cost the board? Show some class," one reader wrote on The Beacon Herald website.

Boon's contributions and generosity are well known in Stratford. He's spent countless hours in AMDSB classrooms educating students about the Second World War through his personal experience.

"I would like to say, as a Canadian, I'm grateful for all veterans including Art Boon. And also, as a parent of students in the board and a trustee in the community, I'm thankful for the time (Boon) has spent speaking to students in our board about the war," Kent said. "I think it's really important."

Boon and his son have also been instrumental in organizing Remembrance Day services in Stratford.

Boon was a gunner in a tank and landed at Normandy on D-Day. In 2005 he was awarded The National Order of the Legion of Honour - the highest award given by the French government. Recently, Boon made sure other local veterans entitled to the honour were granted the award.

McKennitt will collect letters and signatures until 9 a.m. Monday. To sign the petition go to

http://www.activism.com/en_CA/petition/veteran-finds-obstacles-in-attending-commemoration-in-netherlands/65303

laura.cudworth@sunmedia.ca

An earlier article, before the school board discovered stupidity...

Art was "younger than most" because he lied about his age in order to join - twice, I believe.

And he's not one to complain about much, but "you can't even buy a drink over there" would be typical.

http://www.stratfordbeaconherald.com/2015/04/08/local-veteran-art-boon-headed-to-holland-for-the-70th-anniversary-of-the-liberation-of-the-country-in-may

Local veteran Art Boon headed to Holland for the 70th anniversary of the liberation of the country in May

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 5:44:14 EDT PM 

'They were our heroes'

For Second World War veteran Art Boon it doesn't seem like 70 years have passed since the liberation of Holland.

He was just a kid when he signed up with the Perth Regiment and then moved to the 19th Field Regiment. He was a gunner in a tank and landed on the beaches at Normandy, like thousands of other young men, on D-Day. He made the trip back to France to mark the 70th anniversary of the ambitious battle last year.

He thought that might be his last. But he was encouraged to attend this year and it's a privilege he couldn't turn his back on.

He will pack his uniform again and make the trek back to Holland in a few weeks to represent both regiments at commemoration events marking the milestone anniversary of the liberation in May.

"It'll be quite the experience," Boon said.

"You run into the children now of the people who were there when we liberated it."

Ceremonies will take place at Canadian war cemeteries and in key communities from May 2-9.

"It's a privilege to go and have the country invite you back," he said.

In 1984, there were 85 Perth vets who travelled back to Holland, Boon recalled. It's likely this time around he will be the only one.

"When I look at the ages, now the average age is 95. I'm only 90 because I was younger than most," he said.

He knows how gruelling the trip can be but he's urging any local veterans who are able to travel to apply for up to $2,000 of travel assistance from the federal government by calling 1-866-522-2122.

During the war, Boon and Canadians like him would find themselves in Belgium and northern Holland as the Allies advanced through Europe.

Before reaching Holland, the Canadian First Army fought hard battles to push the German occupiers from the shores of the Scheldt River to ensure a steady stream of supplies for the Allies.

By the time Canadian troops crossed into Holland in the fall of 1944 the Dutch people were in desperate straights. The country had been occupied since May 1940 and food supplies were exhausted. That winter of 1944-45 was known as the Hunger Winter.

"Many Dutch in the north starved. They were down to eating tulips," Boon said.

The advance on the western part of the country came to a temporary halt in late April and a truce was called. Canadians dropped food supplies. To show their gratitude many civilians painted “Thank You Canadians” on their rooftops.

More than 7,600 Canadians died to liberate the Netherlands. It was flat and difficult to find cover. There wasn't a lot of air support either because of the risk to civilians, Boon added.

The gratitude Dutch citizens felt then, has been passed down from one generation to the next. It's evident in the way Canadian war cemeteries are cared for and by the enthusiasm in which Canadian veterans are received.

Boon himself has been on the receiving end of that enthusiasm. On one trip back to mark the liberation some of the Canadian veterans stopped into a bar for a drink after a parade. They were the centre of attention.

"Sometimes it gets embarrassing, you can't even buy a drink over there," he said.

Finally, the Canadians asked them to stop and insisted on buying a round, he added.

Boon plans to visit some of the families he's gotten to know over the past 50 years between official ceremonies. He plans to go to the province of Friesland and the capital Leeuwarden as well as Sneek were The Perth Regiment was bilotted.

German soldiers in Holland surrendered on May 5, 1945. All German forces surrendered May 7.

Thanks - and to anybody else who signed.

Loachman said:
Thanks - and to anybody else who signed.

The petition has been circulated within The RCR Association ~ it's getting traction, I think.

And these people are in charge of moulding our youth, and thereby setting the future course of this Nation for which CWO (Retired) Art Boon fought:

http://www.stratfordbeaconherald.com/2015/04/27/avon-maitland-district-school-board-stands-by-decision-to-deny-unpaid-leave-to-teacher-hoping-to-accompany-veteran-father-art-boon-to-70th-anniversary-celebrations-of-the-liberation-of-the-netherlands

Avon Maitland District School Board stands by decision to deny unpaid leave to teacher hoping to accompany veteran father Art Boon to 70th anniversary celebrations of the liberation of the Netherlands

Beacon Herald staff

Monday, April 27, 2015 1:49:52 EDT PM

Despite a petition with more than 2,000 signatures and an impassioned speech from renowned musician Loreena McKennitt, the Avon Maitland District School Board will not be reversing its decision to deny unpaid leave to a teacher who wanted to accompany his veteran father to the Netherlands.

The decision denies teacher Rick Boon the requested two-week leave to accompany father Art Boon, a veteran who was part of D-Day and the liberation of the Netherland, to the Netherlands. Art Boon has been invited by the Dutch government to take part in the 70th anniversary celebrations of the liberation of the Netherlands. His flight is scheduled to leave Friday.

A statement from director of education Ted Doherty, dated Sunday, was released just hours before McKennitt delivered the petition support the Boons.

The statement from the board reads:

At the Avon Maitland District School Board, our first priority is to ensure the best learning environment for our students. When something distracts us from this mission, is causes concern.

Recently there has been public discussion regarding Mr. Art Boon Sr., who has been an important contributor to our learning environment for a number of years. Mr. Boon has worked closely with the Board, our teachers and our students to share his experiences in the Second World War. A recent decision on a leave of absence request for his son, who is one of our teachers, was never intended to be a slight against Mr. Boon or the important role he has played both in serving our country and in preserving history for our students.

The issue of in-year leaves of absence for school-based staff, particularly for teachers, is one that the Board takes very seriously. We feel strongly that the best environment for students is one where there is consistency in teaching.

We receive a number of requests for these leaves each year, many based on compelling circumstances. As was the case in this decision, a number of factors were considered. These include:

1. How many previous leaves have been requested by and granted to an employee, and how recently have these leaves occurred?

2. Has the employee chosen to use other kinds of leave to attend ceremonial events on past occasions?

3. How long is the requested leave, where are we in the school year, and what impact will the requested leave have on the students in the classroom and other staff?

4. Has discussion taken place and have expectations and mutual understandings been clearly expressed regarding future requests from the employee?

There is no question that our teachers and the life experience they bring to the classroom play key roles in the lives and development of our students. However, we are committed to ensuring that all decisions with regard to human resource issues, such as in-year leaves for school-based staff, take into account our need to ensure the best learning environment for our students and fairness and respect for all of our employees.

The issue of in-year leaves of absence for school-based staff, particularly for teachers, is one that the Board takes very seriously. We feel strongly that the best environment for students is one where there is consistency in teaching.

Ya right find that hard to believe especially when they are on strike. Consistency doesn't matter then. I wish there was another way for Arts son to attend. Was hoping for a better outcome.

WOW!  The Avon Maitland District School Board really are in-compassionate bores.  I sure hope that the population that they serve remember these actions in the near future and turf the lot of them.

And yet if a teacher, any teacher, were out of action for an extended period for say, a medical condition like mononucleosis, a supply teacher would be brought in from the available pool to cover the sick teacher's portfolio.  The Board has set its jaw and is trying to save face.  Too bad we can't crowd source Boon Jr.'s salary, so that he can give his notice and tell the board he is resigning on principle. 

G2G

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/musician-petitioning-for-ont-teacher-to-attend-wwii-ceremony-with-elderly-father-1.2346239?hootPostID=b1984a227fb0b0235dd632a9a18507b4

Musician petitioning for Ont. teacher to attend WWII ceremony with elderly father

Sonja Puzic, CTVNews.ca
Published Monday, April 27, 2015 6:49AM EDT
Last Updated Monday, April 27, 2015 12:44PM EDT

An Ontario teacher who was denied unpaid leave to take his 90-year-old father to a Second World War ceremony in Holland is getting support from strangers across the country thanks to the efforts of a Canadian musician.

Loreena McKennitt, a Celtic musician from Manitoba, started an online petition on behalf of Rick Boon, who had asked for time off to take his veteran father, Art Boon, to the ceremony. The event will be marking the 70th anniversary of the liberation of Holland from German occupation.

Boon had travelled with his father to other commemoration events in the past and he is the only family member available to accompany him, according to the petition.

But the Avon Maitland District School Board in Stratford, Ont., denied Boon’s request for unpaid leave because “they have supported (Boon) and his father sufficiently in past years,” the petition says.

Art Boon told CTV Kitchener by phone Sunday that he’s very upset. He said he wants his son to accompany him to Holland because it may be his last trip overseas.

As of Monday afternoon, more than 1,600 people had signed the petition. Many of them slammed the school board’s decision as “unpatriotic” and disrespectful to veterans and their families.

“I am appalled about the lack of respect that this shows for Mr. Boon and his son,” Glen Miller from Vancouver wrote. “Do you not have substitute teachers?”

The petition, along with dozens of letters of support, is being delivered to the school board on Monday.

According to The Beacon Herald newspaper, Art Boon fought on the beaches of Normandy on D-Day. He is known in Stratford for speaking to students in classrooms and at Remembrance Day assemblies.

In a statement, the school board said denying Boon’s request for unpaid leave “was never intended to be a slight” against his father.

“The issue of in-year leaves of absence for school-based staff, particularly for teachers, is one that the board takes very seriously,” the statement said.

The board said a number of factors are considered when a teacher requests a leave of absence, such as how many previous absences had been granted, how long the teacher will be away and how that will impact the students.

The school board confirmed to CTV News that Boon had been granted several previous absences. The board said he agreed that last year would be the final one. But when his father was invited to attend the ceremony in Holland, he requested another leave.

The ceremony the Boons planned to attend will take place from May 1 to 10.

With files from CTV Kitchener and CTV’s Peter Akman

http://www.stratfordbeaconherald.com/2015/04/24/dutch-canadian-woman-who-survived-nazi-occupation-calls-on-avon-maitland-district-school-board-to-allow-teacher-to-accompany-veteran-father-art-boon-to-liberation-celebration

Dutch-Canadian woman who survived Nazi occupation calls on Avon Maitland District School Board to allow teacher to accompany veteran father Art Boon to liberation celebration

Friday, April 24, 2015 6:35:33 EDT PM

Wilma Van Bussel was 10 years old when Art Boon and other Canadian troops liberated her town of Rotterdam in The Netherlands. She is dismayed that Rick Boon's employer, the Avon Maitland District school board, has denied his request for unpaid leave to accompany his 90 year old father Art Boon on a trip to The Netherlands mark the 70th anniversary of the liberation. She was photographed at her home in Ilderton, Ont. on Friday April 24, 2015. (Derek Ruttan/The London Free Press/Postmedia Network)

When Canadian tanks rolled through Rotterdam and the Nazi stranglehold finally lifted, one of the soldiers asked 10-year-old Wilma Van Bussel for a kiss.

He pulled a picture out of his pocket of a little girl about the same age, likely the daughter he was missing.

Van Bussel regrets she'll never know who he was. But all Canadian veterans have come to represent the man who risked everything for the liberation of her family and the Netherlands.

“They were our heroes. Even though we were so hungry and desperate, we danced in the street,” she said.

“I'll be forever, forever so grateful.”

That's why the 80-year-old proud Dutch-Canadian offered $100 to cover any losses the Avon Maitland District School Board might incur if they allow one of their teachers, Rick Boon, to accompany his veteran father Art Boon to the Netherlands to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the liberation.

“This is something that's very dear to my heart,” said Van Bussel of Ilderton, who was moved by Boon's story in the news.

Unfortunately, it's not money that's the issue. Rick asked for an unpaid leave from the school board. His request was denied for reasons the board has not revealed, saying it can`t discuss an individual employee's situation publicly.

“We have supported Mr. Art Boon on a number of previous ventures to ceremonies in Europe,” was all that Steve Howe, manager of communications for the board, would say on Friday.

With one week left before Boon is supposed to leave, the board hasn't reversed its decision. Neither Rick nor Art Boon have spoken publicly about the denied request.

The Second World War was brutal for the Dutch people, who were occupied by Nazi Germany in May 1940 and didn't again enjoy their sovereignty until May 1945. It was a dreadful five years. An active underground fought back and, in a past interview, Boon himself praised their effectiveness. Van Bussel's own father was part of that network.

It was a time of misery, particularly during the Hunger Winter of 1944-45. Food was running out, and the population was starving and eating tulip bulbs to survive. In Rotterdam, they didn't have even that.

“I saw people walking on the sidewalk just slumping over, falling into the gutter,” Van Bussel said.

Her own mother wouldn't have lasted another two weeks, she said. She weighed less than 100 pounds by the time the Canadians came through.

She remembers sitting on the roof watching the planes fly over as they were dropping food.

Van Bussel has never met Art Boon but, to her, he represents all the soldiers who camped down by the river in her hometown and shared what they had. A soldier gave her brother a pack of cigarettes for their dad.

As a young man, Boon joined the Perth Regiment but switched to the 19th Field Regiment that saw action in France, Belgium and the Netherlands before finally ending in Germany. He was a gunner in a tank overseas, but at home he's been an advocate for other veterans.

The connection between the Netherlands and Canada will live on because people such as Van Bussel and Art Boon talk about it.

But the number of people here who understand what it is to look into the eyes of starving civilians, standing in the rubble of what was once their homes, is on a steep decline. There will come a day when there are none.

And that is a day Van Bussel dreads because she believes the way to avoid war and suffering is to remember it.

Boon has been a tireless volunteer in AMDSB schools. He has relived his own experiences and answered any questions asked to make sure generations of young people here know what happened over there.

Former Dutch Consul Dirk ter Vrugt describes the relationship between Canada and the Netherlands as “symbiotic.” The Dutch are grateful for the Canadians who served and the Canadians are grateful for the heartfelt recognition.

“It's an emotional situation. I've seen vets cry with the recognition they get in Holland,” he said.

It's recognition London North Centre MP Susan Truppe wants to be sure Boon gets both here and abroad.

“I hope the board does the right thing and allows his son to travel with him. Who's a better companion to travel with him than his son? We'll be watching,” Truppe said Friday.

Stratford is known primarily for its Shakespearean Theatre, but there is a generation of Dutch who knew Stratford as home. A battalion of Dutch conscripts was stationed in Stratford. While Princess Juliana of the Netherlands was in exile in Ottawa, she visited them here.

A reminder of the bond forged back then stands to this day in parkland near the Lions Pool. It's a statue of hands holding a dove with the inscription “To the people of Stratford in grateful memory of their kindness and hospitality to the soldiers of the oppressed Netherlands.”

Many who have taken up Boon`s cause seem to feel that if the Dutch haven't forgotten the sacrifices of Canadians, then neither should we.

A petition started by Loreena McKennitt asking the school board to reconsider can be found at http://www.activism.com/en_CA/petition/veteran-finds-obstacles-in-attending-commemoration-in-netherlands/65303.

http://www.stratfordbeaconherald.com/2015/04/27/avon-maitland-district-school-board-stands-by-decision-to-deny-unpaid-leave-to-teacher-hoping-to-accompany-veteran-father-art-boon-to-70th-anniversary-celebrations-of-the-liberation-of-the-netherlands

Avon Maitland District School Board stands by decision to deny unpaid leave to teacher hoping to accompany veteran father Art Boon to Netherlands liberation celebration 17

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 8:48:17 EDT AM
Veteran Art Boon will be in a high school history class on Wednesday sharing his experiences from the Second World War in spite of his disappointment regarding a school board decision affecting his upcoming trip to the Netherlands.

Boon had hoped his son Rick, a teacher at the Avon Maitland District School Board, would accompany him on Friday to participate in commemoration ceremonies marking the liberation of the country. He was invited back by the Dutch government and will likely be the only representative from this area.

“This being the 70th one, we don't have as many people on the ground now from the Second World War, so it's special," Boon said Monday. "Last year, there were only about 20 from the D-Day landing mainly because they couldn't travel. Age makes an awful difference."

Despite mounting public and political pressure, the request for unpaid leave was denied and will not be reversed the board confirmed Monday.

"We have a great deal of respect for Art Boon and what he's done, not just for our schools, obviously, but for our country. And I think our students and staff really appreciate his work and veterans, but we've never made this about Mr. (Art) Boon.

"We were faced with a decision about one of our employees and that's how we've dealt with it," Ted Doherty, the AMDSB director of education, said in an interview at the board office in Seaforth Monday.

The 90-year-old veteran, in his first interview since a petition and letter-writing campaign started last week, said he wasn't terribly surprised by the decision, which has caused him to lose respect for the board.

"That wouldn't stop me from still going into the schools and talking to the children, who I have great respect for, and the teachers in those schools all through this board are just excellent."

When renowned singer-songwriter Loreena McKennitt heard about the board’s decision, she started the petition and an advocacy campaign asking the board to reconsider.

Monday afternoon, McKennitt and legion Chaplain Lorne Mitchell presented the board with the petition, which had more than 2,000 signatures and letters sent from around the country.

Two vans full of supporters looked on and then applauded as McKennitt and Mitchell spoke in the front of the board offices.

McKennitt expressed her disappointment regarding a statement sent to media by the board on Sunday night, prior to the letters and petitions being presented, suggesting the decision would not be reversed.

"Knowing we were coming, it was my hope and intention, as no doubt it was yours, that our collective voices would stand for something and would be taken into consideration in further deliberations," she said told supporters.

McKennitt has organized a public meeting for 7:30 p.m. Thursday at the Stratford City Hall auditorium so residents can discuss the matter further.

"If they do not grant Rick Boon leave, I think there are lessons to be learned in this. How did we get to a situation like this? How did we get to this situation which seems so obvious to so many other people?"

McKennitt said it was worth the fight, no matter what happens, and she has no regrets. Mitchell called the decision "deeply disappointing" and lacking compassion.

Meanwhile, in Ottawa, Perth-Wellington MP Gary Schellenberger made a statement in the House of Commons calling the board’s decision a "travesty."

"Our government strongly condemns this decision and calls on the Avon Maitland District School Board to allow Rick Boon to travel with his father to be honoured.

"This is about respect for veterans and their families, and our Conservative government stands firmly behind the Boon family," he said

Boon's son has travelled with him in the past, including last year to France for the 70th anniversary of D-Day. The board allowed Rick Boon leave on that occasion. The board said the timing and number of previous leaves are among the considerations when dealing with requests.

It's that past travel experience that makes Art Boon most comfortable travelling with his son.

"He knows what I do. Sometimes in the airport, it's not an easy time and he knows my medical needs," Art Boon said.

Art Boon said he is determined to go to the Netherlands anyway and will work out other arrangements, saying he did have a "Plan B."

"I was hoping I wouldn't have to scramble in the last week," he said.

Though the experience has left a bad taste in his mouth, the outpouring of public support heartened him.

"The thing that amazes me and what you don't realize are the people that support you. I've had phone calls and so has my son coming in from all over the country. Some people on the trip with us last year to Normandy have phoned as well."

Boon landed on the beaches at Normandy on D-Day in a tank and fought his way through France, Belgium and the Netherlands before ending the war in Germany. He recalled sitting in a Dutch home where they were eating tulip bulbs.

"And also just the chaff off the wheat for cereal. They even tried to give us some of that," he said.

He still chokes up when he recalls the Dutch children who were starving to death.

"They got a lot of our food. Naturally, you can't just see a kid starve to death," he said.

There's been nothing but appreciation from the people in the Netherlands ever since, he said.

I was listening to CBC Radio this morning and they had a clip from the Avon school board spokesman who stated " that if you knew the facts behind this, you would agree with out decision" or words to that effect. Of course, nothing about what those actual facts are.

Retired AF Guy said:
I was listening to CBC Radio this morning and they had a clip from the Avon school board spokesman who stated " that if you knew the facts behind this, you would agree with out decision" or words to that effect. Of course, nothing about what those actual facts are.

Of course not, classic "I know something you don't know" line of defense for boneheaded decisions.

Back