• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Reserve Application in Hamilton

I'm sorry to hear that, Hotspur. Good luck with your next application.

Oh yeah not to worry, I'm commited to going forward  :)

The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada just doesn't need me, at this time, so my candidacy will not be pursued.  That's a far cry from being deemed unsuitable to join the military.  I'm certain that I will be successful when another round of applications are accepted by the regiment.

And hey, they left the door open that I still 'may' be contacted based on this application, I don't see that as being too likely, but at least I've got hope.  Thanks Kruggle

Just make sure to contact them every few months... you don't ask you don't get.

Did you try any of the other Reserve units in Hamilton like the RHLI, 23 Svc Bn, Arty or the Medical Coy?

I have previously contacted the RHLI, who informed me they had just done a large recruitment and would not be taking applications in the near future.  Truth be told though, now that I've gone through the process of applying to the Argylls, meeting some of their officers, seeing their mess, researching their history, I'm still really determined to join that regiment especially because of it's continued use of highland dress.  That may seem like a silly reason to continue to apply to one group over another, but the connection to my own history and heritage is a large motivating factor for me in this whole endeavor.

As for other trades besides infantry, I have spent a great amount of time perusing this forum as well as various recruiting websites and studying the available occupations.  There are others that interest me in varying degrees but it is infantry that I wish to pursue at this time.

So I'll probably be contacting the Argylls alone for a while, pursuing my desire to be a part of that regiment is foremost at this point.  If in the next few attempts that does not work out then I will begin to consider other occupations including NCM with the Argylls, or positions in the other fine units in Hamilton you have described.

Well, forward 3 months and here's where we are,

I decided I was not doing myself a favour by continuing to pursue an Officer position.  Everyone's advice seems to be to take some time as an NCM, see how you handle it, and use that experience to make you a better officer if you do end up going that route later one.  Well I have heeded that advice and now have my application in and being processed to be an NCM in the Argylls.

I'll post again once I heard more, the WO told me I would be contacted in 1 or 2 weeks and I would likely begin my first course at the John Foote Armouries at the end of October, assuming everything goes according to plan with the physical and medical etc.

I'm very happy to be moving forward on this and hope the paperwork side of things is swift, thank you to everyone so far who has offered their advice.

Good for you. 

Not to insult anyone, but it looks like you were joining at a late date, and this is a better time to be entering the process........in the Fall.  Applying in June or July really cuts down the chances of being accepted into a Reserve Unit.  The choice to go NCM is also a good one, as there are more opportunities for employment, the officer route is a lot more selective.  As a NCM you will be able to be recognized for your abilities, and if they have the qualities that the Regiment wants in their officers, you may still be pushed in that direction.  Now you have your foot in the door, and now you must become "Your own best Career Manager".

Good luck.

i do alot of the same training as you. i live in hamilton and do the wentworth stairs alot and run the paths. i run about 12k right now and ride my bike everyday to work and back which is 16 km for a day. keep at it it feels great to get in shape. good luck!

Hey hotspur, I have just read through this whole thread and I have gone through the similar situation when it comes to applying as an officer.  I have tried to apply as an officer at a reserve unit in Toronto, as suggested by my recruiter but I did not get a favourable outcome from the officer board.  In fact, I didn't even know I was going for an officer board selection when they called me to come in to the Unit.  Obviously, they find me not suitable to be an officer which did not surprise me as I was not given proper instructions. Anyway, to make the long story short, I went around the reserve units in Toronto and found 709 Comms Regiment as very welcoming.  I realized that it would better and more fun I guess if I go in as a NCM.  A year and a half since my initial application, I finally got sworn in and I only have 56 days till I start my BMQ. I definitely feel that you will end up the same way!
Good luck.

Back