• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Work in Progress (Advice Welcome)

Just out of curiosity, do you want to join the CAF through the ROTP program (going to the Royal Military College in Kingston Ontario for a full 4 year university degree all expenses paid) or through the DEO programme (you go to university on your own and join the CAF after graduation). Either way, you need a full 4 year university degree before you can become a pilot as it is an officer position.

It sounds as if you may still be in High School grade 11 or 12. If that is the case, you are likely ~16-18 years old in which case you can still join cadets (up to 19 years old). From as early as 17 with parental consent you can also join the reserves but you may not meet the requirements for it yet due to medical issues. Look into it either way. It can be a good way to get experience with military life and is good for some extra income while you are in school or working (usually just 1 evening a week plus training).

You have Medical Officer for your second choice which requires that not only you complete your pre-medical 4-year degree entirely on your own (there is no ROTP plan for medical officer) but you also must at least have unconditional acceptance into medical school (the CAF will pay for your school if you get to that point). Getting unconditional acceptance to med school is no small feat, you need to really work your but off in university to get to that point (and acceptance into med school requires more than just good grades, there are interviews and a very difficult pre-entry test as well, the MCAT).

You have military police as you third choice. That too has a lot of extra requirements and is very competitive. Read around the forums a little, but from what I was seeing, they are looking for candidates with full 4 year degrees in a criminal justice-related field and experience in the police or RCMP as a plus (I am not as familiar with the MP requirements, so someone correct me if I am wrong).

Essentially, you are applying for about the most stressful, competitive and/or highly educated trades in the CAF outside of internal only trades. If this is what you want to do though, definitely go for it, but you ARE going to have to work really hard for any of those jobs and overcome your medical issues to a degree even many people with no previous psychological issues would find overwhelming. Either way, you will need to declare your medical history to the CAF before you join and you need to be honest. They will likely ask for a letter from your psychiatrist (or A psychiatrist) confirming that you have successfully stayed off your medication and have not suffered from depression or any other conditions as a result.

Be sure to go to

http://www.forces.ca/en/jobexplorer/browsejobs-70

and look only at NCM jobs (put a check mark in NCM in the search function) if you do not intend on getting a full 4 year degree before working for the CAF.

Officer jobs (pilot, medical officer, MP officer) pay more, but they ALL require a full university degree (2 or 3 year diplomas do not cut it) and are reportedly much more stressful than NCM trades.

I wish you success in your efforts as it is always a noble cause to strive to improve one's self.

Note: I am just an applicant, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I have been reading these forums everyday for about a year religiously soaking up as much information as I can before I made the decision to join. Go read about the experiences of those who have already joined the trades you are interested in on these forums.

I'm actually 20. I will be applying for ROTP. I've decided against medical officer being my second choice, but instead I'm thinking about Air Combat Systems Officer as my second, then either Military Police Officer or Engineering Officer as my third. All of which I would apply for direct entry if available. I'd rather focus on my first choice for now though, and improve my chances of being accepted as a rotary wing pilot.

If I'm declined for all of the above I'd consider applying to be a NCM, but I haven't found any of those jobs to interest me as much, and again I'd rather focus on improving my resume to be a pilot.

We'll see how the psychological stuff goes, but right now I'm feeling great. This has really motivated me and working towards it has changed my mindset big time. I feel this is right for me, and I feel more comfortable with myself working towards being in the military than my previous plans of being a veterinarian. I've been on the lowest dose of my medication for a while now and it's been going good. Exercise seems to help more than the medication ever did. There's been so much that's changed in my life lately, I feel like a different person.

Hopefully I'll have a good shot at being accepted as a pilot...or even my second or third trade in a couple years. I've missed out on a lot not being in air cadets, now being in sports until now, etc. But I hope it's not too late to change, I hope I'm not at too much of a disadvantage.

I'm getting a degree in Outdoor Leadership, getting involved with multiple non-profit organizations (and plan to lead a mission trip to Africa or Asia in the future), doing multiple sports (lacrosse, hockey, archery, kayaking, kung-fu), and upgrading my high school courses (from 80s to 90s). I'm also working a lot in a job that's hard to get, and I may apply to work in security as well.

I'm getting a degree in Outdoor Leadership

An undergraduate degree is a 4 year bachelor program usually granted by a university. They are always 4 years plus. Are you sure that what you are getting is a degree and not a diploma or certificate? If it is a full 4 year degree, you need not bother with ROTP. As soon as you have your degree in hand, you can apply directly as pilot or ACSO. Keep in mind however that 'Outdoor Leadership' (I have never heard of a bachelor degree with that major though) will not likely let you DEO as an engineering officer nor a military police officer. In both of those cases you will likely need to earn a second degree (either on your own or through the ROTP programme).

I very highly suggest that if you are seriously thinking about being an officer in one of the trades you have listed above that you change your current degree (since you are just starting) to something related to MPO or engineering officer (whichever ones interests you most). Many skills required to pass pilot training (and to a certain extent ACSO as well) are almost impossible to be studied for which means no matter how hard you try, there is a possibility that you lack a certain skill to be a pilot (it is why I personally think it is the hardest trade to get, just working hard is not enough, you need too many natural gifts as well like extremely quick reaction time and great memory). Definitely try for pilot and ACSO as you may posses those natural skills, but since you can have ANY degree for those positions, plan your university degree around the two trades you selected which require specific degrees (something like Bachelor of Applied Science in Civil Engineering for engineering officer or a criminal justice degree for MPO). Also keep in mind that the medical requirements for pilot are WAY higher than any other trade (meaning you could get disqualified for a condition you don't even know you had). All I am saying is keep a plan B... just in case.

If I'm declined for all of the above I'd consider applying to be a NCM, but I haven't found any of those jobs to interest me as much, and again I'd rather focus on improving my resume to be a pilot.

NCM are the hands on jobs. If you want to be an officer you are basically saying you would prefer leading, managing, administering, facilitating and doing desk work rather than doing the hands on work (Pilot, Medical Officer and Legal Officer being a bit special).

My mistake, it's called an associate of arts in outdoor leadership. I'm just taking it for my own benefit while I'm waiting to be medically clear. I understand I'll still have to get a degree, which I plan to get through the military.

The school I'm going to also has an aviation program, but I don't want to spend 75,000$ on that, then apply to the military and not be accepted as a pilot. Then that would go to waste and I'd have to get a different degree anyway.

I would like to do more hands on work, but I do want to lead, I want to stand out, do something special, and I want to be in the air force, but as a NCM there's not much in the air force. I thought about infantry but my dad told me I wouldn't fit in with a bunch of infantry guys. It's not the end of the world if I end up a NCM though.

No matter what my education in outdoor leadership and everything should help make my resume something the military is interested in,

Back