• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Abu Ghraib Prison Attacked

FGH_Recce_DJ

Inactive
Reaction score
BAGHDAD (AP) - Dozens of insurgents fired rocket-propelled grenades and detonated two car bombs Saturday while attacking the Abu Ghraib prison in western Baghdad, wounding 20 American service members and 12 prisoners, the U.S. military said.

The attack, carried out by 40 to 60 militants, began as darkness fell on the city, 1st Lieut. Adam Rondeau said. Soldiers and marines stationed at the detention facility responded, and the resulting clash lasted about 40 minutes, Rondeau said.

"This was obviously a very well-organized attack and a very big attack," he said.

It was not immediately clear whether any of the insurgents carrying out the attack suffered casualties or were arrested.

Plumes of smoke were seen rising from the area.

Last summer, pictures showing soldiers piling prisoners naked in a pyramid at the prison were turned over to investigators. The resulting scandal tarnished the military's image in Arab countries and around the world and sparked investigations of detainee abuses.

The United States is holding about 10,500 prisoners in Iraq.

I'm sure it's going to take a lot more than a few AK's and cars to effectively raid that complex..

Luckily nobody was kiilled

Another article from the UK.  http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/story.jsp?story=626133

Heavily armed insurgents have launched an audacious attack on the notorious Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq, wounding 44 American soldiers and 12 prisoners, the US military said.
The raid on Saturday night, which the self-proclaimed "al-Qa'ida wing in Iraq" claimed to have carried out, targeted an outbuilding with two suicide car bombs, American officials said, and followed up with small-arms fire and grenades.
In a statement on a website that regularly carries extremist Islamic material, it was claimed that militants detonated suicide car bombs at the main gates after "snipers" fired more than 39 Katyusha rockets at US forces. "Columns of smoke were rising from the crusaders' bases," the statement said. "This battle is part of a series of raids ... which began yesterday across the land of Mesopotamia."

What do they mean series of raids? Anyone heard of anymore activity?

Quiet Riot said:
Another article from the UK.   http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/story.jsp?story=626133

What do they mean series of raids? Anyone heard of anymore activity?
i guess this is a bit of a late reply, but im not on here too often, so thats my excuse.

Abu Ghraib is about a 10 minute drive from where i am currently located, we heard the whole thing, it was quite busy. the attacks came in waves, and was very well organized. the Insurgents have learned a lot and are really starting to put it to use,  as much as i hate the fact they are fighting against the coalition i must give them some credit.

Back