• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AC OP Vision Requirements

Klinkaroo

Inactive
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a repost, I did a search and it turned up nothing for me. If someone got something feel free to share.

I heard some rumors running around that they we're going to bring down the vision requirement for AC OP. That is really my first choice but because of my eyes (-3.5 in right, -3.0 in left) I can't. I am a V4 and I am perfect for everything else (wanted to be a pilot originally but again eyes...). Is there a wee bit of truth to the standard going from V3 to V4 and also if I get laser eye surgery (now before someone talks I know it's at my risk and my cost but if it means I can get into my trade... why not...) and my refraction error would be within the V3 or V2 standards will they accept it. I know they don't for pilots but what about the rest of the trades out there.

Thanks
Klink

You'll have to talk directly with the CFRC about your specific trade. When I went in to talk to them (I have a V4 correctable to V2) they told me that if I had surgery I would qualify for any trade except for pilot. From what they said, the military does accept laser surgery for all the trades except for pilot now, but again, check with the CFRC for a definite answer.

I am an AC Op and had laser surgery before I remustered to the trade.  I am currently a V2 and had no problem meeting the requirements.  As for the standard for the trade changing?  I haven't heard anything about it, but I will ask around at work next week and get back to you if I hear anything.

Just curious what the final outcome on this topic was.  Did it get changed from V3 to V4 or was that only a rumor?

See attachments for definitive answers to all things visual...

Certain types of Laser Eye surgery are permissible even for aircrew. However, minimum standards still apply. Currently V3 is required for AC Op.

Back