• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Academic transcripts - Questions [MERGED]

Thanks guys. I actually just called my CFRC to double check and he said that the transcripts don't have to be in a unopened envelope or whatever. That's good for me because I have my official Ontario Student Transcript and Official College transcript next to me right now. However maybe some other CFRC's operate differently and do require sealed unopened transcripts so it's always good to give them a call and check.

Bartan said:
Thanks guys. I actually just called my CFRC to double check and he said that the transcripts don't have to be in a unopened envelope or whatever. That's good for me because I have my official Ontario Student Transcript and Official College transcript next to me right now. However maybe some other CFRC's operate differently and do require sealed unopened transcripts so it's always good to give them a call and check.

Transcripts are transcripts.  As long as they are official, they don't need to be in a sealed envelope.

DAA said:
Transcripts are transcripts.  As long as they are official, they don't need to be in a sealed envelope.

Trouble is that some institutions will not issue official transcripts to students.  Whenever I needed one from U of T, I was required to contact the Registrar, pay the fee and tell them to whom I wanted it sent and they would send it.  The only thing the Registrar would be give me was an unofficial transcript - same information, just not the same "continuity of evidence."  This was the common practice of many institutions in years past, but things may be more relaxed now.

Pusser said:
Trouble is that some institutions will not issue official transcripts to students.  Whenever I needed one from U of T, I was required to contact the Registrar, pay the fee and tell them to whom I wanted it sent and they would send it.  The only thing the Registrar would be give me was an unofficial transcript - same information, just not the same "continuity of evidence."  This was the common practice of many institutions in years past, but things may be more relaxed now.

That is true.  It's funny though, they are "your" transcripts.

DAA said:
That is true.  It's funny though, they are "your" transcripts.

They're not hiding the information.  They'll readily give that to you.  However, the idea of sending "official" transcripts directly to the organization requesting it (vice the student) is that it prevents the student from altering it.

For those who still ask about what to enter in the box provided asking for your current level of education:

Master Corporal Steven said:
Good day,

When filing out the section on school include your current level. There is a section that asks if you are still enrolled in school full time. Your graduating in June so I assume that your currently in school full time. When asked for your official education school transcripts the classes that you are currently enrolled will show as in progress.

You can apply now and begin the application process and your file will be updated with your completion of high school once you graduate and provide proof via an updated transcript.

What is the protocol for submitting SAT scores? Would I need to contact Collegeboard and have them send my scores?

Hey, my son is going for the CFAT and they asked him to bring his high school transcripts. He contacted his high school only to be told that they don't keep transcripts beyond 5 years (this is in Ontario).  So what is he supposed to do now? He graduated high school in 2007.  Don't tell me he is now prevented from going to RMC just because of this!! 

Any advice would be appreciated!  I'd hate to see him miss this opportunity.  Thanks so much. 

In the Province of Quebec, you can call at the ministry of education office to get your transcript of highschool years (last two years only, because they are what you need for college admission). I suppose that you can do the same in Ontario. By the way, my school has the same rule. They don't keep transcript after 5 years.

YesMom said:
Hey, my son is going for the CFAT and they asked him to bring his high school transcripts. He contacted his high school only to be told that they don't keep transcripts beyond 5 years (this is in Ontario).  So what is he supposed to do now? He graduated high school in 2007.  Don't tell me he is now prevented from going to RMC just because of this!! 

Any advice would be appreciated!  I'd hate to see him miss this opportunity.  Thanks so much.

You should contact the school board that the high school is part of. They should be able to help you out. Good luck!

JaiAlysa said:
You should contact the school board that the high school is part of. They should be able to help you out. Good luck!

Thank you for this. Yes I did that already (Halton District School Board) ... they just told me to contact the high school.  Maybe I should try the Ministry of Education for Ontario.  *sigh*

*EDIT* Just looking on the Ontario Ministry of Education website and their advice is to contact the school board if you want transcripts from more than 5 years ago. So back to the school board I go ... oh man!!

Hello everyone,

I'm a bit nervous because my 20's were pretty rocky. I was dealing with depression due to lack of direction and purpose. I've spoken with my local recruiter and he said as long as I'm off my antidepressants for at least 6 months, then I can take the medical.

My big concern now is that I passed highschool (modestly) and I've taken Information Technology twice at my local college, doing very well my first year, but petering out near the end of the second year. I gained a lot of F's on my transcript. I also had a lot of jobs during my 20's. I've been with my current job for almost 3 years, and another for 3 years before that, but I'm really concerned this is going to cause huge issues.

Is there anything I can do over the next 6 months to show that I'm not a total screw up? I'm lifting weights and running every day now. I'm teaching myself to speak Esperanto and I want to get into some volunteer work.

This is something I really, but do I even stand a chance at this point? Any and all advice is appreciated. Thank you.

cwright said:
Hello everyone,

I'm a bit nervous because my 20's were pretty rocky. I was dealing with depression due to lack of direction and purpose. I've spoken with my local recruiter and he said as long as I'm off my antidepressants for at least 6 months, then I can take the medical.

My big concern now is that I passed highschool (modestly) and I've taken Information Technology twice at my local college, doing very well my first year, but petering out near the end of the second year. I gained a lot of F's on my transcript. I also had a lot of jobs during my 20's. I've been with my current job for almost 3 years, and another for 3 years before that, but I'm really concerned this is going to cause huge issues.

Is there anything I can do over the next 6 months to show that I'm not a total screw up? I'm lifting weights and running every day now. I'm teaching myself to speak Esperanto and I want to get into some volunteer work.

This is something I really, but do I even stand a chance at this point? Any and all advice is appreciated. Thank you.

To be honest, volunteer work doesn't do much for your application (this may depend on what you are applying for, I have no clue about Officer trades). Your academics won't mean much either, as long as you passed and meet the criteria for whatever trade you're applying for - your aptitude test matters more. I see questions like this a lot and it's kind of amusing. Don't kill yourself doing volunteer work and learning different languages to boost your application - it won't mean much. Meet the criteria for the trade you're applying to and you're good. Don't do drugs or have a criminal record and you're good.

I'd be more concerned about your depression than anything else you talked about to be honest.

cwright said:
Any and all advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Tips on how to become a recruit 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/31044.50.html
3 pages.

How can I increase my chances 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/97201.0/nowap.html

etc...

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of up to date information.

Good luck.

Thanks, that gives me a little peace of mind. My concern came from a webpage stating this:

Applicants are assessed on the following attributes:

Academic Achievement;
Accepting Criticism;
Conformity to Rules;
Initiative;
Motivation towards the Canadian Forces;
Oral Communication;
Performance under Stress;
Perseverance;
Physical Endurance;
Team-work;
Learning Potential; and
Leadership Skills.
When assessing suitability for a particular occupation, military career counsellors will consider an applicant’s:

Motivation;
Work experience;
Education;

Occupation knowledge; and
Interests, likes and dislikes.

But maybe this is more important for Officer roles?

Edit: And thank you mariomike for the links, I'll check them out.

cwright said:
And thank you mariomike for the links, I'll check them out.

You are welcome. Good luck.  :)

cwright said:
Thanks, that gives me a little peace of mind. My concern came from a webpage stating this:

But maybe this is more important for Officer roles?

Edit: And thank you mariomike for the links, I'll check them out.

As far as I know your merit listing position will be affected by education in terms of - Did you graduate high school? Yes? Great. If Jo Schmoe also applies and only has grade 10 then you will be placed higher. As far as languages go, it is important if you know French, as that will affect your career (in a positive way). If you are set on learning a language, learn French. Your employment history has no bearing. Both times I have been in the process for the Forces I had only been at my current job for a few months. You're worrying way too much, the forces needs bodies.

Edit by staff as requested.

EpicBeardedMan said:
To be honest, volunteer work doesn't do much for your application (this may depend on what you are applying for, I have no clue about Officer trades). Your academics won't mean much either

EpicBeardedMan said:
Your employment history has no bearing.

Above statements need to be corrected as they are not entirely accurate.

If you're applying for a position like Infantry (Edit Note: I ONLY use Infantry because there is no civilian equivalent, so previous job experience doesn't help or hinder on the ability to be an Infanteer] , then no your employment has no bearing on the position.  However part of the interview process is determining if you'd be a good fit for a position. 

Assume the 3 people below are all applying for either Human Resource Admin or Financial Services Admin:

1) Take someone that has Office Administration in College and has been working in a Large Office doing payroll, etc for a large company.  They are assigned a score during the interview process.

2) Now lets take someone that has Office Administration in College but no work experience.  They are also assigned a score during the interview process, but not as high of a score.

3) Finally lets take someone fresh out of high school with no work experience.  They are are also given a score but no where near as high as #1 or #2.

Now comes the important part; there is only 1 position is remaining and all 3 score roughly the same on the CFAT & TSD - which one of those 3 do you think the offer will goto?  It will be #1 based on the interview score.

The above information isn't to scare you, it's to manage your expectations.  Part of joining the CAF is like any other job, there's an interview process.  And stating the CAF "needs bodies", last year there was over 40,000 applications for 4,000 (approx) positions.

Back