• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Accept Sig Op Position, Or Wait For Comm Rsch?

mc876898

Inactive
Reaction score
I was offered a position as a Signal Operator today.
Unfortunately the trade I wanted to join as the most was a Communicator Research Operator.

At this point I'm not sure what I should do.
I can either decline their offer and hope to get accepted as a Communicator Research Operator later, or follow through with the Sig Op option.

The thing I'm afraid of is that if I decline the Sig Op position, I might be waiting indefinitely for a position in Comm Rsch.

The recruiting office couldn't tell me when they're going to recruit more for Comm Rsch, or where I stand in the merit listing.
So even if they recruit more people into the trade I'm not sure if I'll make the cut. This is especially disconcerting because I was told only 10 Comm Rsch positions are currently available.

I think I'm pretty high on the merit listing, considering I was offered a position just one week after my application was finalized, but I'm not really sure...

Can anybody here give me some advice on what I should do?

You'll be waiting indefinitely for a position in Comm Rsch if you join as a SigOp, we're a red trade and the OT outcap is 8 a year (out of 1800 people).

Why did you even put Sig Op on your choices list in the first place?

While I do think I would enjoy the Sig Op trade, the Comm Rsch trade is far more interesting to me.

You'll be waiting indefinitely for a position in Comm Rsch if you join as a SigOp, we're a red trade and the OT outcap is 8 a year (out of 1800 people).

Ouch.

The problem with comms research is that you will be waiting several years until you can get your security clearance to go on course. I know some guys who have been in 3 years and are still waiting to get qualified. Sure they'll find work for you in the mean time, just don't expect it to be meaningful. As well if you try to join another trade in the mean time, they might not let you leave, take sig op for example right now.

Back