• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Acronyms & Abbreviations of The CAF

Wow... I was going to start a thread about how confusing all these acronyms are (especially for a complete noobie like myself). I had been using the sites "Military Term Finder" to help me out around the fourms and it's been pretty helpful. Glad to know i'm not the only one who is a tad overwhelmed with all these acronyms!! I'm getting used to them though thank goodness.

With the popularity of Battle Star Galactica there is a new adaptation of an old theme. SNAFU, Situation Normal All Fraked Up .

I noted one error in the main list a few posts (and years) ago.  "TPT" is listed as meaning "Transport".  This is incorrect.  "TPT" stands for "Target Practice - Tracer".  "TN" is the official abbreviation for transport.

EDIT: One more abbreviation to amend.  "RCR" is not the abbreviation for "The Royal Canadian Regiment".  "The RCR" is the correct abbreviation.

Midnight Rambler said:
I noted one error in the main list a few posts (and years) ago.  "TPT" is listed as meaning "Transport".  This is incorrect.  "TPT" stands for "Target Practice - Tracer".  "TN" is the official abbreviation for transport.

My understanding is that TN stood for Transportation as in TN Coy.  Tpt (non-capitalized) stands for transport.  TPT may very well stand for Target Practice - Tracer.  I wouldn't know.  ;D

To carry on; isn't it TP-T for Training Practice - Tracer?  Much the same as SH/T-Prac is Squash Head/Tracer - Practice.

Has all this been cleared with NDHQ/DSNA?

Director Silly Names and Acronyms  ;D

While reading a thread the other day I came across the acronym 'ND' in reference to guns. Instead of asking in the thread, I figured I would ask here instead.

Also, why is it something that someone would not like to get?

ND stands for Negligent Discharge, basically when you fire your weapons by accident.  Soldiers don't like them as they can be dangerous and can get people killed so the military usually charges people that have them. 

Didn't find this one in any of the previous pages, so:

DMTE - Director Maritime Training and Education

Ready Aye Ready

Army Tactical Communication Information System (ATCIS)

bullet resistant plate (BRP)

Michael O'Leary said:
Army Tactical Communication Information System (ATCIS)

bullet resistant plate (BRP)

the ATCIS one sounds about right but I don't think that's what BRP stands for. All I know is ATCIS is a prerequisite for BRP.

SevenSixTwo said:
the ATCIS one sounds about right but I don't think that's what BRP stands for. All I know is ATCIS is a prerequisite for BRP.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/commun/ml-fe/article-eng.asp?id=2107

The Clothe the Soldier (CTS) project recently conducted a size and fit trial for the new fragmentation protective vest (FPV), which will be issued concurrently with the new bullet resistant plate (BRP) to deployed personnel early next year.

Can you provide more details for the context you are referring to?

BRP (1) - Bullet Resistant Plate (Ceramic Armour, Strike Plates)
BRP (2) - Basic Recce Patrolman.  Recce course for 00010 Infantryman normally conducted at unit level.  ATCIS Op is a prereq for the course due to high reliance on Radio equipment to realy / report information gathered by a Recce Patrol.

Continuing Engagement - ref:  http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/dao-doa/5000/5002-1-eng.asp

Back