• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

active duty deployments for naval reservists

apostle

Inactive
Reaction score
Hell0

I e-mailed this question to a navy recruiter but never got a reply, so i'm posting it here.  Can NCM's and officers (specifically MARS officers) in the navy reserve volunteer for  active duty deployments on Canadian navy frigates and destroyers?  I know its done in the Royal Navy.

apostle said:
Hell0

I e-mailed this question to a navy recruiter but never got a reply, so i'm posting it here.  Can NCM's and officers (specifically MARS officers) in the navy reserve volunteer for  active duty deployments on Canadian navy frigates and destroyers?  I know its done in the Royal Navy.

You can volunteer for anything and everything your little heart desires.  Now will you receive what you wish and dream for?  Not very likely.  Now that the reserves have their own ships, your seatime will be spent on them.  Not saying it doesn't happen, but the times are few and far apart nowadays.  Besides, if they are going on deployment, they will be looking for working bodies.  As a reserve MARS officer, you are not qualified to stand a watch on a Frigate or Destroyer, therefore you are not really of any use to them.  And for training billets, they will take their own kind first, so to speak.

Now, a question for you: who are you?  A profile that is filled in as much as possible will go a long way on this site to having someone help you out with your questions.

I heard reservists aren't alloud on the heavies because it's a liability. Not sure if it's true; perhaps you can shed some light on that Mich.

SoF said:
I heard reservists aren't alloud on the heavies because it's a liability. Not sure if it's true; perhaps you can shed some light on that Mich.

Maybe you should stick to what you know....and obviously, the navy isn't it........

ALLOWED !!!!!!

Yeah....that's why I specifically mentioned I'm not sure if it's true. :)

SoF said:
Yeah....that's why I specifically mentioned I'm not sure if it's true. :)

so dont speculate and place yourself on receive.......

cdnaviator said:
so dont speculate and place yourself on receive.......

Well from now on I'll be sure to only post actual facts as I really don't want to upset you. :)

It's not so much a liability issue, there are forms and forms to get around that.  It used to happen with fair frequency in the past, but as navymich righty points out, the hiccup isn't the reg force keeping out the reserves, it the reserves putting up barriers.  I have spoken to several RN officers (exchange officers where I was posted), and some years ago the RNR did a reorganisation; they moved from a model somewhat like what we have -- reservists in reservist positions -- to a model based on "here are the needs, here are the people available and their quals, here's where they go".

Now, the RN training is a little different.  One problem in Canada is that we really are training to specific platforms -- reg for a frigate (for the most part), reservist to a MCDV.  The RN's training is a little more generic given the large number of different classes of ships they have.  So a RNR officer could be in a frigate, a landing ship, an aircraft carrier, a staff HQ, a supply depot, etc.  I was at the CF staff college with a RNR officer who was in the Med with a destroyer.

The personnel managers would be very reluctant to send a reserve MARS officer to a frigate, even an ex-reg force "frigate qualified" person (and there's a few out there), as there is a shortage in the MCDVs of watchkeepers right now.

So, the challenge as I see it is that we really have a four-fleet concept: two on each coast, one reg one res.  It may sound funny or silly, but the naval reserve, despite being part of the CMS formation, really acts on its own.  And, despite the MCDVs on each coast belonging to the fleet commanders, sometimes they act like they are in a different government department.  Until we get to a 'one fleet' concept, nothing will change.

You don't get what you don't ask for, but (quite sarcastically) good luck!

Cheers.

SoF said:
Well from now on I'll be sure to only post actual facts as I really don't want to upset you. :)

You're learning...you really don't want to see him when he gets angry.

I've sailed on a CPF with Reserve NAVCOMM's, NCIOP's, BOSN's as well as many of the support trades such as RMS/SUP TECH/COOK's

So lets put that one to bed now!!

As for being able to serve onboard a CPF/280, check the messages as Employment Opportunities are sent out through service messages.

Back