• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Active Shooter In NS. April 19 2020

I get everything you're saying. Unfortunately the perception of poor management and leadership mixed with a perception of acts of cowardice that night will required the RCMPs actions alone to fix.

I expect we will see a provincial police force in the future. As the province continues to grow its tax base that will become a reality. Right or wrong, good or bad.
it will be neither good nor bad. It’ll just be another smaller police force with little operational experience. It will just be what it is. Nova Scotians should have that so that it’s theirs and so they can point at each other next time something happens. (Although I would rather nothing ever happen like what led to all this ever again. I’d rather they never prove me right or wrong about a different force having the same issues.)

Coffee with Cops outreach events will not change the average mind in NS about the RCMP.

I think the rural folks need someone to blame so they feel like it can be fixed so they can rationalize it and feel safe again. Which I want for them because they are my family too

Last edited:
I get everything you're saying. Unfortunately the perception of poor management and leadership mixed with a perception of acts of cowardice that night will required the RCMPs actions alone to fix.

I expect we will see a provincial police force in the future. As the province continues to grow its tax base that will become a reality. Right or wrong, good or bad.
You may be right, but I don't necessarily subscribe. I'll take your word that the tax base is growing, but is that province-wide or just in the Halifax area? I don't get the sense that the rest of the province is booming along, and rural taxpayers may be ill-disposed to make up the 30% or whatever it is the feds kick in to support the RCMP. Who knows, maybe the feds will stick with their contribution simply as the cost for getting out of the game - for a while.

The province may get their own police service, but that doesn't necessarily translate to they will get a better one. Command and control, local relations and other apparent irritants aside, since I can't comment on them, having your own all-singin'-all dancin' deployed police service isn't cheap.

I think I've mentioned it before, if the Halifax Regional Police assumed all of the Halifax Regional Municipality, it might of sign of political will.

I think I've mentioned it before, if the Halifax Regional Police assumed all of the Halifax Regional Municipality, it might of sign of political will.
interesting point. We re talking about a provincial force when Cape Breton regional and Halifax regional don’t own their AOR’s completely.

I’m sure there is a reason but it’s interesting.

You may be right, but I don't necessarily subscribe. I'll take your word that the tax base is growing, but is that province-wide or just in the Halifax area? I don't get the sense that the rest of the province is booming along, and rural taxpayers may be ill-disposed to make up the 30% or whatever it is the feds kick in to support the RCMP. Who knows, maybe the feds will stick with their contribution simply as the cost for getting out of the game - for a while.

The province may get their own police service, but that doesn't necessarily translate to they will get a better one. Command and control, local relations and other apparent irritants aside, since I can't comment on them, having your own all-singin'-all dancin' deployed police service isn't cheap.

All I know is what I read

The roughly .5 mil that reside in the HRM would be footing the lion's share of the bill for a provincial police force, no doubt about that. It's just where roughly half the tax base lives.

If I can be frank, I don't think the population cares if it's better. They might not admit to that. They just want the RCMP gone, as much as they can be. Unless you live out here I'm not sure you grasp what those 2 days did to the RCMP's reputation. Right or wrong, truthful or imagined.

interesting point. We re talking about a provincial force when Cape Breton regional and Halifax regional don’t own their AOR’s completely.

Expanding CBR to cover the whole cape would be logical. Likewise HRM. Halifax especially is a jurisdictional mess from what I hear.

I'm not familiar with CBR area. We have a couple of similar situations here is Ontario as well, although smaller.

I'm not familiar with CBR area. We have a couple of similar situations here is Ontario as well, although smaller.
My brother and his family live up there. Cape Breton Regional Municipality is an amalgamation of all of the former municipalities in Cape Breton County. Essentially it’s a county-scale regional police force centered on Sydney. Not dissimilar from the regional police services outside the GTA, though much more rural outside of Sydney. The Mounties have the rest of Cape Breton.

My brother and his family live up there. Cape Breton Regional Municipality is an amalgamation of all of the former municipalities in Cape Breton County. Essentially it’s a county-scale regional police force centered on Sydney. Not dissimilar from the regional police services outside the GTA, though much more rural outside of Sydney. The Mounties have the rest of Cape Breton.

CB would be ( or is ? ) hard all kinds of different socio economic levels, cultures, folks. Big area, very rural, some areas almost lawless now, mountainous at times.

I did a non motorized moose hunt up near Meat Cove last year in Dec. Good god, I gained a new respect for infantry who have to fight in mountains. Thank the lord for whiskey and good pot belly stoves.

If I can be frank, I don't think the population cares if it's better. They might not admit to that. They just want the RCMP gone, as much as they can be. Unless you live out here I'm not sure you grasp what those 2 days did to the RCMP's reputation. Right or wrong, truthful or imagined.
I can fully appreciate that. I've visited a friend, retired Ontario municipal copper who moved down a few years ago and before Portapique and experienced the community's 'displeasured' with the RCMP.

The "as much as they can be" part will be the expensive last mile. Outside of federal responsibilities, to me the only viable alternative is a total replacement. You can't keep a bunch of RCMP specialty services around in a 'break glass in case' environment.

‘Policing large, sparse, diverse, rural areas is hard’ is kind of a lot of this thread in a nutshell, no?

Be interesting to know the 9-1-1 call volume in Nova Scotia.

Toronto alone handles 3,000 9-1-1 calls a day.

Back