• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Adventure Training

Blackadder1916 said:
Also, don't be surprised, even if everything works out and it is a go, that it could take up to a year before it happens.

I will add to the fine post of Blackadder. 

1. Gone are the days of pots of money for adventure training at the higher formation HQs.  As such the CO must budget for this.  Business planning occurs (at least) a year in advance.  A such you are looking to:
      A. get your adventure training plan into the business plan for execution in the following cycle, or
      B. grab some end of the year money that was not spent and that the CO feels is well spent on your adventure training.

2. Read DAOD 5031-10.

3. Find a competent junior officer / WO to latch on to in order to get some horsepower.  Sell the idea to them and offer to do as much of the leg work as possible for them. 

Adventure training is good fun, valuable for leadership development, promotes teamwork, and enhances morale.  Good on you for running with it.

MC

Blackadder1916 said:
Since no currently serving members have replied yet, I'll provide you with some advice gleaned from personal experience.  If you are looking for some magic checklist or fill in the blanks form, you probably won't find it.  Simpliest way to start is to write a memo proposing what you have in mind and send it up your chain of command.  Include as much detail as possible about what you want to do (e.g type of activity, possible time frame, number of participants, previous experience in the activity, estimated costs . . . ).  You should be able to informally propose the idea to someone higher up the food chain who could assist in drafting your proposal and may be better versed in operational planning process.  Not knowing the type of unit (reg/res, static/field, army/navy/air force . . .) that you are in, I can't comment on any bde/area/comd orders or directives that may contain further instruction about staffing adventure training requests.

Do not be surprised if your commanding officer shoots you down (there could be factors beyond his control) or if he appoints a junior officer to run with it (that's what they are trained for and expected to do - it also provides an opportunity for the CO to observe his performance) but try to remain involved in the process, you will learn about how things get done (or get FUBARed).  Also, don't be surprised, even if everything works out and it is a go, that it could take up to a year before it happens.

We're doing an adventure training exercise right now where we have no Officers available to set it all up (apart from old farts like me) so I found a keen Sergeant to git 'er done. He's doing  a great job. So don't assume that you can't lead one of these things.

I do agree that it's a very good idea to get a senior level sponsor for your plan, like a Major or something, so you can go forward with a more thoroughly thought out concept of ops. Don't ignore the RSS staff (if you're in the reserves) or the Ops staff. They have lots of good advice about what can and can't work out.

If your unit hasn't done one of these before, I'd also try to pitch a 'phased' approach to an ultimate goal over a longer period of time. For example, 'to summit Mt Everest' is probably not a good idea for your mountaineering focused adventure training plan on your first try. However, if you propose a work up phase consisting of a couple of progressively more challening hikes/ climbs leading to a summit bid on something more local and realistically achieveable, then that is generally much better received.

Good luck and keep pushing. You will carry it by force of passion! (and some reasoned common sense)

PM me your e-mail address, and I can forward you the OP Order from an avalanche survival training and mountaineering course we did as part of adventure training. It may help you frame things as you put a proposal together.

Thank you all for the great replies! I followed your adviced, found a WO willing to point me in the right direction. I am currently doing the leg work and hoping it leads somewhere.

Does anybody know of any funding available, through CFMWS perhaps, for unit adventure training to offset the cost to members?

Thanks!

DAOD 5031-10 Adventure Training is the bible on that.

Budgetary Support

5.9 Maximum materiel, transportation and financial support may be given for adventure training, provided it is not at the expense of operational training. Support shall be allocated as part of command and unit budgets, and shall be included in training plans.

5.10 In addition to command and unit financial support, voluntary contribution of funds or loan of equipment by participants is encouraged. The expedition leader shall inspect and ensure that equipment loaned by participants or other third parties:
a.meets all applicable safety standards;
b.is in satisfactory condition; and
c.is appropriate for the expedition.

5.11 Providing that the approving authority determines that there is no conflict of interest (see DAOD 7021-0, Conflict of Interest and Post Employment), commercial sponsorship should be considered, particularly for major expeditions.

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/corporate/policies-standards/defence-administrative-orders-directives/5000-series/5031/5031-10-adventure-training.html

Back in the day our adventure training was either a death march of say 50 miles or a week at an Army recreation facility where we could fish or boat. The Army paid for the later from non appropriated funds that came from user fees from the bowling alley or movie theater. The so called adventure training that were really long marches paid out of operating funds. No matter its name we stayed fit. Through a normal week we did road marches and daily runs of a couple miles. Not hard for a bunch of 18 year olds to stay fit.

MartyMonster said:
Does anybody know of any funding available, through CFMWS perhaps, for unit adventure training to offset the cost to members?

Thanks!

What costs to members?

Back