• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Advice on RMC/am I good enough?

HaydenHugh1

Inactive
Reaction score
I know this is probably a question that gets asked a lot on here and there is really no definitive answer. However, I'm wondering if I can compare my current accomplishments to somebody attending/attended RMC or ROTP program.

For context I'm in grade 11 and applying for the pilot trade to hopefully fly Griffin, Chinook, or Hornet, I currently haven't decided on a specific degree program.

Grades
my 10th grade overall average was 89% and I'm fairly sure I can keep my grade 11/12 grade above 85%

Extracurriculars
I'm the Drum major (leader) of a marching band that travels around the world for competition (I was handpicked out of 115 people). I consider myself to be a good trumpet player and hope to someday join the RMC band. If you'd like to look more into the band I'm in its called the Burlington Teen Tour Band. Within the organization I am also a former section leader and fanfare trumpet team member.

Sports
no competitive sports but I love snowboarding and mountain biking and consider my self fairly proficient in both. Also, not that its worth much but I used to be a boxer from ages 10-14.

Volunteer hours
I have over 100 volunteer hours.

within my achievements I feel I have demonstrated good academic performance and leadership skills, the only thing I'm worried about is not having anything to prove my athletic capability.

Does anyone have any advice on things I should be doing to increase my chances of acceptance?

Thanks in advance.

I know this is probably a question that gets asked a lot on here and there is really no definitive answer. However, I'm wondering if I can compare my current accomplishments to somebody attending/attended RMC or ROTP program.

For context I'm in grade 11 and applying for the pilot trade to hopefully fly Griffin, Chinook, or Hornet, I currently haven't decided on a specific degree program.

Grades
my 10th grade overall average was 89% and I'm fairly sure I can keep my grade 11/12 grade above 85%

Extracurriculars
I'm the Drum major (leader) of a marching band that travels around the world for competition (I was handpicked out of 115 people). I consider myself to be a good trumpet player and hope to someday join the RMC band. If you'd like to look more into the band I'm in its called the Burlington Teen Tour Band. Within the organization I am also a former section leader and fanfare trumpet team member.

Sports
no competitive sports but I love snowboarding and mountain biking and consider my self fairly proficient in both. Also, not that its worth much but I used to be a boxer from ages 10-14.

Volunteer hours

within my achievements I feel I have demonstrated good academic performance and leadership skills, the only thing I'm worried about is not having anything to prove my athletic capability.

Does anyone have any advice on things I should be doing to increase my chances of acceptance?

Thanks in advance.
The one thing I know about ROTP is that the applications need to be in surprisingly early, so if you haven’t done so already it’s a good idea to talk to your local recruiting centre.

Grades

Extracurriculars

Sports

Volunteer hours

Thanks in advance.
My best advice is to start studying for the aptitude test (CFAT)... it's going to have significant weight on how your application is compared. There is a practice test on Forces.ca, use it as a guide for what to study, you're going to want to score close to perfect to get proceesed for Pilot. Good luck.

Grades

Extracurriculars

Sports

Volunteer hours

Thanks in advance.
This is a solid resume. I got accepted to RMC with less.

If you want to go into an engineering degree (which I HIGHLY advise against if you want to go to RMC and not a civilian university. my roommate is in eng and he hates his life) or a science degree, make sure you have taken the required prerequisite classes according to the RMC website. If you want to go into arts, maintain a minimum 75% in all your core classes.

you will most likely be accepted around the summer following your grade 12 graduation and attend BMOQ mod-1 that summer.

as for athletics: start running. you don't have to run every day but atleast a kilometer 1-3 times a week to make sure your cardio is in good shape for the RMC physical performance test. the rest of the ppt is fairly easy to pass and even if you don't you'll be doing supplementary training for a semester. (SPT isn't fun)

the hardest components of the PPT are the 2.4 km run at a minimum of 10:34 minutes, and the flexed arm hang (90 degree elbow chinup position) for 54 seconds.

start going to the gym, go on runs, and you will make it in

edit:
as for the pilot trade, it's pretty hard to get.
i'd recommend considering other trades you think you'd enjoy in the case you dont get accepted

Back