• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Advice: Wear Sunscreen

And even if you have never burned before, and decide to tough it out, (which I sincerely sugguest you should NOT do)

WEAR SUNSCREEN FOR CANOE TRAINING.

I have yet to see a person who didn't burn under the doubled sun. Not pretty.

I completely agree...

Ask Golf Company 2006...Platoon 24...Who didn't listen to Sgt. King when she told them to re apply sunscreen continously through out the canoe trip and who ended up with burnt legs? WE LOVE PT SHORTS  ;D

Sunscreen is just smart.

Don't think so?  Well.  Google causes of lip cancer.  Ever think to protect those lips when you put sunscreen on?  Neither did I.

Don't forget the lips...ears...nose.

Daily if outdoors.

I remember being the Crew Commander of a Grizzly AFV one summer oh 10ish years ago...I had a nose burst so bad...it was orange.  Funny then?  Sure.

Now?  nope.

Protect yourselves when/if you can.  When you are on the beach with your grandkids, you will be glad you did...

Yup, I'm like that fellow who wears SPF 50.....and you can now find it on the market without the "water baby" label.  My advice to all of you out there is to wear suncreen ALL THE TIME when outside, especially in the summer.  I'm glad to see Tilley Hats being worn by Air Cadets with PT gear now.  When I was at Camp some 23 and 24 years ago I got absolutely lobstered repeatedly, to the point that it didn't even hurt anymore.  Well, needless to say I have had 2 basal cell carcinomas (skin cancer) by the time I was 35 and the doctors tell me it is not a matter of IF I will have more, but WHEN. 

Damn,

Wear your sunscreen!! Age really has nothing to do with it at all.

Take it from me. I've been there. I've got all the scars to prove it. I was diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma in 2001, I'd have been 32 then. (And just had my 5 years free check-up BTW).

Listen to your moms...

Wear your damn sunscreen (and your hats!!)!!

I don't wear sunscreen unless I absolutely have to. I've only burned a couple times and it's always on my shoulders and then it peels and turns into a tan. The one time I  burned I knew I was going to burn but my uncle didn't even have sunscreen in his house...like a zillion people asked for sunscreen.

CaDeT_SeRgEaNt@2853 said:
I don't wear sunscreen unless I absolutely have to. I've only burned a couple times and it's always on my shoulders and then it peels and turns into a tan. The one time I  burned I knew I was going to burn but my uncle didn't even have sunscreen in his house...like a zillion people asked for sunscreen.

So i figure that if you have cancer, you will not go get medical assistance? if I follow you logic, that should be your course of action. The tools are there to protect you. and you are not using it? If I was you platoon commander...I would not be pleased at it. And I would take measure for you to do it. I have done it in the pass when I was commanding a platoon in Valcartier one summer. the kid did not want to put on. I recommended to be RTU. and I would do it for a staff also.

Think of the example you have to give to the cadet under your command. Leadership by example.

It wont kill ya, only help.

At camp, sunscreen will become gold. The 25 SPF stuff they give out is shit. Bring at least one full bottle of a good, NON-SPRAY sunscreen, depending on your trade (eg, bandies who are inside more than bosns will use much less), if you are out on the water, length of camp, ect. Bring it with you almost everywhere in your bag.

IF BOSN: APPLY APPLY APPLY! It doesn't matter if you tan/burn or not, you still should apply it every two hours minnimum, especially if you are on the water. Water tan consists of: Horrible crew-neck t-shirt tan/burn, RED legs from bottom of shorts to knees, (About 5-3 inch slice of skin on top of thighs), knees and down is lighter burn/tan, and then the oh-so lovely shoe tan.

I still, from last summer, have traces of that tan. Not fun.

Your nose and ears can also blister terribly, taking along time to heal, zinc based sunblocks will help heal that. Some zinc based blocks are clear so you don't have to go to the water park with a blue nose.

Wear your sunscreen!! It is f'n important; really doesn't get much simpler than that.

They found some SPF 80 shit for me last time I deployed. Truly golden. Shout out to the site member here who kept mailing it over to me for 'insurance' sakes!!  :-*

Neutrogena makes SPF 110 although it is pricey at something like $14.00 a bottle, but its worth it.
http://www.neutrogena.ca/en/getProduct.asp?cat=7&sub=57&id=103&display=0

Don't put on a skimpy amount either, if you don't put sunscreen on you could also end up with moles, which may or may not be cancerous.

RemembranceDay said:
IF BOSN: APPLY APPLY APPLY! It doesn't matter if you tan/burn or not, you still should apply it every two hours minnimum, especially if you are on the water. Water tan consists of: Horrible crew-neck t-shirt tan/burn, RED legs from bottom of shorts to knees, (About 5-3 inch slice of skin on top of thighs), knees and down is lighter burn/tan, and then the oh-so lovely shoe tan.

I've seen a few sailors with the ridiculous sunglasses tan, while sailing close to the equator it takes even less time to burn.

Reg Force or Cadets "APPLY APPLY APPLY!"

Get Nautical said:
Neutrogena makes SPF 110 although it is pricey at something like $14.00 a bottle, but its worth it.
http://www.neutrogena.ca/en/getProduct.asp?cat=7&sub=57&id=103&display=0

Don't put on a skimpy amount either, if you don't put sunscreen on you could also end up with moles, which may or may not be cancerous.

I've seen a few sailors with the ridiculous sunglasses tan, while sailing close to the equator it takes even less time to burn.

Reg Force or Cadets "APPLY APPLY APPLY!"

I had previously tried that in-theatre as recommended (I believe it was 23 bucks a tube to get over there), but it caused serious rash on me.

Some thoughts on sunscreen from your helpful Health Service.

With respect to labeling you will see some changes in the future. On 17 June 2011 the US FDA amended their regulations on sunscreen labeling.  Canada is expected to follow suit. One of the proposed regulations falling out of this amended regulation will limit the maximum SPF (Sun Protection Factor) on the label to 50+.  This is because (according to the FDA) that there is not sufficient data to show that products with an SPF higher than 50 provide protection any better than those with an SPF of 50.  An SPF of 30 will absorb 96.7% of UVB versus an SPF of 50 will absorb 98% of UVB. So SPF is important. 

Other things to consider is how they are applied (enough, evenly, everywhere). Temples, ears and neck are often inadequately covered according to a bunch of good studies. If you are factoring how much sunscreen to pack, think for the person wearing combat clothing that they will require about 2-3 g per day (0.07 to 0.11 oz) being that an 8 oz bottle will last 80-120 days.

Bug dope with DEET will reduce the effects of SPF by  34%.

There are 16 chemicals which are used as sunscreens and no one chemical is best for everyone. After working with a wilderness medicine group who did quite a bit of research on this topic the following recommendations (2012) are made.  Publication pending.

1) High SPF, Waterproof, Broad Spectrum Screens and Lotions:
- Hawaiian Tropic Ozone Sunblock (SPF 70)

2) High SPF Gels:
- Bullfrog Quik Gel (SPF 36)

3) High SPF Spays:
- Banana Boat Sport Quik Block Sunblock Spray (SPF 48)

4) High SPF Sticks:
- Hawaiian Tropic Ozone Oil-free Sunblock Stick (SPF 50+)

5) Specialty Sunscreens:
- AloeGator Super Waterproof Gel (SPF 40+)

6) Lip Screens:
- Hawaiian Tropic Aloe Vera Sunblock Lip Balm (SPF 45+)

7) Physical Sunscreens:
- Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Sunblock Lotion (SPF 30)

8) Moisturizers Containing Higher-SPF Sunscreens (SPF 30)
- Eucerin Extra Protective Moisture Lotion
- Neutrogena Healthy Defense Daily Moisturizer
- Oil of Olay Complete Defence Daily UV Moisturizer

Clothing has a good SPF, ranging from SPF 2 (for a polyester blouse) to 1000 (cotton twill jeans). When you look at clothing you need to consider the tightness of the weave. For instance lyca has an SPF of 100% until you stretch it over your fat a** and then the SPF drops to 2%. Colour is also important, and dark is generally better.  A white cotton t-shirt has a SPF of 5-9.

The moral.  Wear sunscreen.  It works.  Apply quality sunscreen early and often.  Reapply frequently, especially if sweating or after water exposure. Spend the cash to find a good sunscreen, you only need an 8 oz bottle (in general) for the season.  If you have complications then talk to your medical staff and come up with an alternative. Get a small tube and put in your tac vest (in a zip lock bag).

If you are in a leadership role then this is a command responsibility.  Ensure you troops have access to sunscreen and that it is used properly and frequently.

Cheers,

MC

Hey MC, thanks for that guide. :) I went through two bottles of SPF 30 Umbrelle, and a whole face stick over the summer, but that was at camp with constant swet, water, ect.

Back