• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ady Gil Loses Bow to Japanese Whaling Vessel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larkvall

Inactive
Reaction score
It appears from this video shot from the Japanese whaling ship that those whacky Sea Shepherd guys actually moved into the path of whaling ship causing the collision.  ::)

I wonder if the Japanese can sue for a new paint job?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dXCR9LX-Kc

pretty clear in this view that the Japanese ship turned to intentionally ram the Ady Gil...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbuq0YEIPNU&feature=popular

Wonder if they can sue for the damage caused to that beautiful ship  ::)

[Capt Mancuso] "The hard party about playing chicken is knowing when to flinch" [ /Capt Mancuso]

I doubt the sea-hippies can sue for anything.

Besides being eco-terrorists and general retards-of-the-waves, harassing the lawful Canadian seal hunt and the lawful Japanese whale hunt, in this case they deliberately placed their flimsy speed boat in the path of a much larger, much less manoeuvrable ship.  I thought little was supposed to give way to big at sea?? 

Also, Fuuuuuucka You Dolphin! Fuuuuuuucka You Whale!!!

tumblr_ks9w8wqJco1qz53a0o1_500.jpg

Maelstrom said:
pretty clear in this view that the Japanese ship turned to intentionally ram the Ady Gil...
Not so obvious to me. The Japanese ship made two alterations (one to starboard and then one to port), but it's not clear that they were made with the intention to ram. Given the combination of the two videos, I'd say the Sea Shepherd boat was on an intercept course with the trawler, which altered to starboard to pass under its stern; then the Sea Shepherd boat stopped, so the trawler had to alter back to avoid ramming it at its midsection (which would have capsized the un-seaworthy piece of crap) and nicked its bow.

Generally, you can expect that a fishing trawler isn't going to make and release a video of an encounter with another vessel that it's intentionally trying to ram.

hamiltongs said:
Not so obvious to me. The Japanese ship made two alterations (one to starboard and then one to port), but it's not clear that they were made with the intention to ram. Given the combination of the two videos, I'd say the Sea Shepherd boat was on an intercept course with the trawler, which altered to starboard to pass under its stern; then the Sea Shepherd boat stopped, so the trawler had to alter back to avoid ramming it at its midsection (which would have capsized the un-seaworthy piece of crap) and nicked its bow.

Generally, you can expect that a fishing trawler isn't going to make and release a video of an encounter with another vessel that it's intentionally trying to ram.

Well what ever the intentions of either crew a powerboat that can go 50 knots should have never been put anywhere near that position... I would not want to sail with those fools.

but it is definitely a sea worth vessel, originally Earthrace.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthrace

The Sea Shepherd Conservation Society website has announced that the Ady Gil (ex-Earthrace) sank while being towed.

http://www.seashepherd.org/news-and-media/news-100107-1.html

That is a crying shame (that it sank). If I am not mistaken, Discovery or History Television recently did a documentary about the builder and his crew doing an around the world passage in this thing. Alot of passion but obviously, they must have run out of money??

I thought I had read somewhere that the guy who built the Earthrace was a big environmentalist who donated it to Sea Shepard.

I can remember back in the mid 80's the NATO fleet came in to Halifax. There was a French Figate with them. Greenpeace had a few zodiacs trying to interfere with the ships coming alongside. One of them got between the French and the jetty as the French had a sternline ashore. The outcome was  one French warship secured alongside one Greenpeace zodiac compressed on a log fender and 3 protesters being arrested for tresspassing on DND property. As I recall the news blamed the French for endangering the lives of the protesters and said the French should be made to pay!

My personal view is if you don't want to swim in Halifax harbour stay away from a warship trying to secure alongside. I'm all for protecting the environment and all that frizzy haired tree hugger stuff BUT don't cry if you get in the way of someone or something bigger doing nothing against the law.

Otis said:
I thought I had read somewhere that the guy who built the Earthrace was a big environmentalist who donated it to Sea Shepard.
Somewhere, Bruce Wayne sheds a single tear...

Out of simple curiousity I watched a few episodes of "Whale Wars" I was not left with the feeling that it's a very safe thing to do: capsizing FRC because of miscommunication, lack of training on simple safety systems and procedures, sailing a non ice rated vessel into pack ice - to name but a few.

Regardless of anyone's views on the right and wrong of whaling, seal hunts, whatever - protesting with a death wish is just plain stupid and I believe that Sea Shepherd preys on youthful exuberence and ignorance of these factors to crew their ships. I think it's a shame.

As I recall the rules of right-of-way of the sea, agile ships must give way to less agile ships.  So, a small speedboat that can turn on a dime has to yield to the Supertanker.  In this case, the enviro-ship would have been in the wrong.

Watching the Bat-Boat get Pwned by the Whaling ship immediately brought to mind (in my head) the phrase "This is why we cant have nice things!"  ;D

Technoviking said:
As I recall the rules of right-of-way of the sea, agile ships must give way to less agile ships.  So, a small speedboat that can turn on a dime has to yield to the Supertanker.  In this case, the enviro-ship would have been in the wrong.
Sort of (for specific cases: sailboats, fishing vessels, etc), but not in this case. Nevertheless, you can bet the Sea Shepherd guys pulled a whole lot of legitimately illegal moves to get to the position they were in. There's not a maritime court in the world that would back them (which is why they probably won't go to court over it).

I watched the aforementioned show about that boat, and am definitely sad to see it go. Very good story behind it, and a crafty crew got it around the world in record time.

Doubly sad that it was lost to an act of sheer ignorance after all it went through on it's record run.

As for the patchouli  patch kids who sank her, well, screw them.

Scott said:
Out of simple curiousity I watched a few episodes of "Whale Wars" I was not left with the feeling that it's a very safe thing to do: capsizing FRC because of miscommunication, lack of training on simple safety systems and procedures, sailing a non ice rated vessel into pack ice - to name but a few.

Regardless of anyone's views on the right and wrong of whaling, seal hunts, whatever - protesting with a death wish is just plain stupid and I believe that Sea Shepherd preys on youthful exuberence and ignorance of these factors to crew their ships. I think it's a shame.

I agree, I also watched out of pure curiosity ... I couldn't believe the pure irresponsibility on the part of the "command" with regards to basic seamanship safety.

It's one ting to put your crew in danger for your beliefs or to protect the defenceless, but to put your crew at risk for training? And the risk is because they've been poorly instructed and thrown into situations they're unprepared for? THAT'S criminal even if they think they can justify the rest of their actions!

Otis said:
I agree, I also watched out of pure curiosity ... I couldn't believe the pure irresponsibility on the part of the "command" with regards to basic seamanship safety.

It's one ting to put your crew in danger for your beliefs or to protect the defenceless, but to put your crew at risk for training? And the risk is because they've been poorly instructed and thrown into situations they're unprepared for? THAT'S criminal even if they think they can justify the rest of their actions!

Makes you wonder, eh? I wonder if the only reason they can stay registered out of whatever country the ship is flagged is because they are a NPO and the crew are all volunteer - bringing with it a different set of rules than if they were actual employees of the organization.

I know of no law covering attempted negligence and, unfortunately, the only time I have ever heard of someone being written up for being stupid was while I was on my BMQ (and no, it wasn't me)

If I try to park my VW Jetta in front of a tractor trailor to try to stop it, because the trailor was full of, I dunno, a shipment of KFC and I am against KFC, that would make me an idiot.  Not much difference here IMO.

Eye In The Sky said:
If I try to park my VW Jetta in front of a tractor trailor to try to stop it, because the trailor was full of, I dunno, a shipment of KFC and I am against KFC, that would make me an idiot.  Not much difference here IMO.

Slight difference ... you know how to properly drive your Jetta, and your passengers know how to act properly as passengers.

If you want to accurately portray this scenario as a comparison ... have your passengers ride on the roof on the WAY to get in front of the tractor trailer ... oh, but don't teach them how to use any safety straps or harnesses you give them first ... just get them up there, they can learn on the fly ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back