• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aerospace Control Operator ( AC Op )

Avengingivy said:
What I'd like to know is, how long of a wait is it? My file has been in Toronto for over 3 weeks, and I'm told it will take another 2 months? Has anybody been through this process already? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

It took 3 months to get the air factor on my medical for a previous application (2004). I'm now in the process of re-enrolling and waiting for the rubber stamp, hopping for a quicker turn around this time.
Welcome to the club  ;D

They send your medical file to DRDC Toronto to make sure you are medically fit for an air factor category for air crew

My wifes took 1 week for hers once Toronto actually got the file from Ottawa.

Its true, it can take months. However usually the holdup is Ottawa and sitting on someones desk. Also, pilots and Navigators get priority and remusters too over civilians joining.

From what I recall, I did my Air Crew medical last year and once the file was sent to DRDC(T) it took about 2 months for my air factor to show up in peoplesoft.  A fews months after my air factor was updated in peoplesoft I received a medical doc from DRDC(T) that I was medically fit for the trade that I was remustering to.

Hey, I was wondering how often AC Ops get the chance to deploy as part of TACP an be part of the teams calling in the Fast Air, etc and not be part of the TOC group.  I met one AC Op who was out on Ops as part of a FAC team but didn't really ask about how he got into it.

Thanks

There is considerable effort to re-introduce "air" expertise in the FAC/TACP role. As such you will see more AECs in direct TACP roles and AC Ops as FAC. Numbers are limited right now but expanding significantly over the next two years. As a percentage or in absolute terms the end numbers are not finalised as both AEC and AC Op have manning challenges to address before they take on too many other roles. Lets just say that there are AEC and AC Ops tagged for TACP roles in every roto going forward. There is concurrent commitment for increased G3 Air presence at the brigades and the FAC school.

Thanks for the info.

One last question, whats AEC?  I'm not really up on the abbreviations for AF trades, I only know AC Op since I was looking at doing an OT into it later on.

-Skeletor- said:
... I only know AC Op since I was looking at doing an OT into it later on.

Drop me a line if you have any specific questions; I CT'd to AC Op almost 2 years ago.  There are a couple of threads on here about AC Op too.

As for the TACP positions, get posted to North Bay and then get in line.  It's one of the most sought after positions.  We are starting to fill new positions though too, starting with the current Roto....gotta love being a guinea pig!  :-\  Just kidding, I volunteered and it's great to be a part of the team here.

Hey Airmich,

Just jumping in here to say I hope all is going well on your tour. Stay safe and Godspeed to you and all those working alongside you over there.  :cdn:

(P.S. The voodoo doll is tucked away somewhere safe until your return.) ;)

Thanks for the info so far everyone. Mich, I sent you a couple questions via PM.

There are no "flying positions" in Canada for our trade....all of our flying postions are "Out Can"...after spending sometime in the trade once you reach MCpl you may be able to acquire an outcan position flying in a E-3 either Germany,  Tinker Oklahoma, or Alaska.....Also the norm is  Flying positions are generally granted to those who are on the Air Defence Side of the trade however,  Our ATC counter parts are also eligible to be posted to a Flying Position as well, but generally it's an Air Defender position.

Hey guys, I am a AC OP from North Bay sitting here in Afghanistan as a TACP. I am more in the AVN (aviation) side of it but it is still a sweet job.  I get to work with the helicopters more than the jets them selves but it could have worked out the other way. It all needs to be done to make the big machine work and our job is just as important as the guys controlling from the TOC or in the field. The AC OP trade is undermanned so when we get a chance to come out and play in the sandbox, we jump at it. I re-mustered about three years ago and haven't regretted it yet. I have met up with some of the mechanics that I used to work with here and I appreciate my job even more.
If you come to the dark side (Air Force), remember it is a different life than the Army. Not better or worse, just different.
Good luck to you.

I ran into Airmich and some of her friends on the boardwalk at KAF last night. It'll probably be a while before she can post or PM again. She's doing alright, though.

Celticgirl: thank you.  :)

Loachman: good to have run into you!  Chance meeting given my situation.  And I will still be around and online for a little bit more.

SciFiGuy:  welcome!  Good to have run into you too and convinced you to join.  Nothing like getting the info right from the source.

Do we get recruitment bonuses for having new people join?  Maybe it could be a question to fill in on the sign-up, and then if they stay for x number of posts, we get MPs!!  :D

Back