• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Affects of Gas Prices on Cdn Economy

George Wallace

Army.ca Dinosaur
Inactive
Reaction score
Some food for thought.  Rising Gas prices = Rising Costs of Food, Building Materials, Manufacured Products, Plastics, Transportation, etc.  It also brings about a rise in a seldom heard of crime:

Thefts of gas rise with prices
Gas-and-dashes are something gas attendant Tristan Turcott knows well.

In the three years he's worked at an Esso station in Halifax, he's seen motorists pull all kinds of things, just to get out of paying for gas.

"Some will come to the cash, pay for a pack of gum then jump in their car and take off," he said. "Or they come in and when we ask them if they have gas, they lie and just leave."

Then there are the motorists who slowly fill up their gas tank, calmly get in their car and then at the last moment, hightail it out of the station when the gas attendants turn away.

It's something his gas station deals with at least three times a week.

And with prices rising as high as $1.34 per litre in some parts of the country, Turcott -- along with gas attendants across the country -- is braced for the number of gas thefts to also spike.

"Gas retailers have potentially lost thousands of dollars each year to gas theft," said Graham Conrad, the executive director for the Retail Gasoline Dealers Association of Nova Scotia. "There's no question in my mind as the price of gasoline continues to climb, the impact gas theft will have on retailers will continue to grow."

Most of the thefts happen at large gas stations where the staff are usually busier, and the thieves can be anyone from a local to a tourist stopping in for the first time, Conrad said.

Generally, Canadian police forces agree that gas theft is growing across the country, but admit that it's difficult to track because some stations do not report the crimes and some forces do not keep statistics on gas and dashes.

Instead, these thefts usually get lumped under the general category of theft under $5,000.

But the police forces that do keep statistics say as the price of gasoline rises, it will become even more attractive to thieves.

Since January, 212 gas thefts have been reported at Calgary gas stations. This time last year, there were only 139.

"Rising gas prices can motivate or force people to do these kind of thefts," said Calgary police spokesman Kevin Brookwell. "People who have never done this before will be driven by desperation because it is getting very expensive to drive a car."

Catching up with gas thieves is not easy.

"It's difficult. Unless there is something that we can follow up on, like license plates or surveillance images, it's hard to catch these people," Brookwell said. "It's seemingly an easy crime to commit, but people have to remember that the consequences can be a criminal record, fines or even jail time. It shouldn't be something that is taken lightly."

In Winnipeg, police report that as many as 2,010 gas thefts have occurred since 2007.

But Canadian police forces aren't just worried about the rise in gas and dashes. They're also predicting that instances of siphoning -- hosing gasoline from a parked vehicle -- will also continue to grow.

Earlier this week, thieves siphoned 3,000 litres of gasoline from two farmers in southern Alberta, prompting officials in the town of Milk River, 270 kilometres southeast of Calgary, to issue a warning to motorists and farmers to lock up their gas tanks.

John Pua, a sales attendant at Napa Auto Parts in Toronto, said he's seeing more motorists come in looking for locking gas caps.

"We sell them regularly," he said. "A lot of people are turning to them because of the high risk of siphoning gas. It also depends on what kind of neighbourhood they live in. If they hear a story about it happening, then they'll turn to these caps."

Tony Macerollo, the vice-president of the Canadian Petroleum Products Institute, an organization that represents 13,000 gas stations across the country, said the gas-theft problem likely won't get better soon.

"We have to remember that the more precious the commodity, the more tempting it will be for it for criminals to take it into their own hands," Macerollo said.

-- Canwest News Service

As of Feb 1 this year all Gasoline purchases are prepaid or pay at the pump in BC.  This is known as Grant's law and is intended to create a safer work place for late night service station workers after the death of an attendant who was trying to stop a "pump and go" and got dragged behind the car for a fair distance.

Well out here in BC it's now mandatory to pay before you pump, as part of the workers compensation act. This was caused by a young worker being dragged and killed by a "splash and dash" customer.

What irks me the most about the current fuel situation is that the fuel company's state that there is no collusion, however I find it extremely suspicious that the prices just happen to rise at the same time in all the area gas stations.

Fortunately between the car and the motorcycle I only have to fill up once every two months......

Bern beat me to it....

It really sucks when your little Integra gases up to almost $50 every two weeks... It's insane! That's on regular!!!

Geez she sounds like a guzler, my Altima takes about  $80+ every 4 weeks or so lol

It's crazy! I drive quite a bit, but still it's insane! I can't believe how expensive it is to fill an Integra! Bah!!! I hate the stupid gas prices!!

MedTech said:
It really sucks when your little Integra gases up to almost $50 every two weeks... It's insane! That's on regular!!!

I dunno about the Integra, but my 3.2TL is a a gas PIG. 1.30/L for premium, 70L tank, once every week and a half...

It's a good thing I won't have a car when I get to Kingston this summer, I'll save a ton of dough.

I heard on the radio the other day that Petro Canada made as much money in the first quarter of '08 as they did in all of '07, something along the lines of 1.1 billion dollars. Though here's my solution: Lets just invade Alberta, they got all the gas ;D

Got a 92l tank that needs to be filled about every 10-12 days.  It really sucks.  :'(  :crybaby::'(

Boater, if you're going to invade please do it and have it all wrapped up by July 14th.  Posted to Edmonton and an invasion might be a little inconvenient for us. lol

This is the first time that gas prices have actually really made me change my activities a bit, I've started to think about things a bit more.  I was for a while pretty smug with my 2006 VW Jetta TDI - $50 in diesel gets 900 km at least... but my wife started a new job and now she drives that, and I leased a 2008 VW Rabbit that's reminding me how much gasoline prices suck...  The same $50, I'm lucky to get 400 km out of.  Thank goodness for Commuting Assistance at least helping with some of my costs, but man, I can't believe how much these prices sting, and there's no relief in sight at all.

Diesel prices have soared even more than gasoline prices, which I'm sure we'll see trickle into the prices of everything else in due course...

Speaking of economy, price increases are starting to hurt the Manufacturing sector real bad. Our metal supplier, Bothwell Steel is increasing their prices at the end of May because steel prices are going up again. The fuel surcharge on delivery has gone up twice in the last six months. Our cutting tool supplier is cutting down on tools kept on hand now that because of businesses going under/out of work their sales are down over $50,000 a month and they can't afford to keep a large stock. We're almost at the point where its no longer profitable to make snow mobile runners because the cost of our Cold Rolled Steel bars has gone up to nearly 80cents a pound.

There might be a shortage of after market snowmobile runners come winter now. Hoard them while you can.

Boater said:
I heard on the radio the other day that Petro Canada made as much money in the first quarter of '08 as they did in all of '07, something along the lines of 1.1 billion dollars. Though here's my solution: Lets just invade Alberta, they got all the gas ;D

There's the rub.... All the fuel is in Alberta, and all the dipsticks are in Ottawa!!!!!!

and I don't mean the military members

This is all part of a perfect storm facing the manufacturing centre, the high dollar is crushing our former competitive edge of being a relatively low cost producer, in a lot of cases overseas manufacturers can do things faster and cheaper, and on top of that high dollar comes transport costs that are soaring.  It's an ugly mix, and there's not much that can be done to tame the dollar - though it is making a lot of costs come down overall, it isn't all bad.

Taylor187 said:
Speaking of economy, price increases are starting to hurt the Manufacturing sector real bad. Our metal supplier, Bothwell Steel is increasing their prices at the end of May because steel prices are going up again. The fuel surcharge on delivery has gone up twice in the last six months. Our cutting tool supplier is cutting down on tools kept on hand now that because of businesses going under/out of work their sales are down over $50,000 a month and they can't afford to keep a large stock. We're almost at the point where its no longer profitable to make snow mobile runners because the cost of our Cold Rolled Steel bars has gone up to nearly 80cents a pound.

There might be a shortage of after market snowmobile runners come winter now. Hoard them while you can.

Rodahn said:
There's the rub.... All the fuel is in Alberta, and all the dipsticks are in Ottawa!!!!!!

and I don't mean the military members

*cough* bulls**t *cough* we got oil here on the East Coast  ;D

Boater said:
...  Lets just invade Alberta, they got all the gas ;D

- If gas is so expensive, why do people:
1. Keep their cars idling on long red lights
2. Buy big trucks that seldom see a cargo in the rear.
3. Buy SUVs that never see a muddy trail.
4. Start their cars remotely and let them warm up and defrost instead of scraping their windshield and THEN starting the car.

The above are all things the Germans had learned to do at least twenty years ago, and nost Canadians in CFE learned accordingly.  Obviously, gas is not expensive enough to force a lifestyle change yet.

Perhaps we should ration it, like in WW2?

Well, as for your #4, ever get in your car at -40, turn the key and go?  How far did you get before the inside of the windshield had more ice on it than the outside?

TCBF said:
Perhaps we should ration it, like in WW2?

Or a wartime price control board to stop profiteering like in WW2.
Tying the price of oil to the world market in an unstable world is foolish.

By all means introduce Rationing.....I could make a fortune flogging gas on the black market.  It worked really well in WW2 in Britain when there was a REAL Petrol shortage let alone the US and Canada where there was much less of a shortage.  It also worked in the Communist countries.

Capitalism wins every time.

Back