• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Afghan bomber caught in the act

The Gues-|-

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.canada.com/components/print.aspx?id=f186aeac-6b46-440e-830b-ba9b6141e78d

ARGHANDAB DISTRICT, Afghanistan - Taliban guerrillas yesterday tried to attack a Canadian patrol for a second time in the mountains north of Kandahar, but this time the soldiers caught them in the act of planting the roadside bomb.

"They tried to get us again," said Sergeant Rob Dolson of A Company 1st Battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, whose section was hit by a roadside bomb two days ago. "They even planted the thing maybe 20 to 25 metres from where the last one was."

But Sgt. Dolson said his troops, accompanied by U.S. soldiers, found the bomb and may have wounded the man who planted it as he ran away.

"They spotted this guy walking in one of the wadis," he said, referring to the dry creek beds common in this area. "He was looking around in the dirt ... We knew there was something dodgy because he was looking around like a kid who'd taken something from the candy store. He was trying to see if someone was watching."

The Canadian-led patrol took him by surprise, loosing a burst of machine-gun fire at the suspected bomber.

"He lit out right away," said Sgt. Dolson, taking a break with his soldiers in a rock-strewn valley in the Canadian patrol area, several hours' drive north of Kandahar. "They shot at him again, and the [machine-gun crew] think they hit him."

The man fled to a nearby village, and the Canadians reported the incident to the local detachment of the Afghan National Police.

When the area was searched, the soldiers found a bomb even more powerful than the one that hit the patrol on Friday. The escaped man is suspected to have also planted that device. Three soldiers were injured when the patrol by A Company, nicknamed "The Red Devils," was attacked.

Military spokesmen did not release the names of the wounded troops but said none of their injuries was serious.

A fourth soldier was later found to have suffered whiplash when the LAV III armoured troop carrier was attacked. The vehicle lost two front tires and will be repaired in Kandahar, military spokesmen said.

"The vehicle came through in pretty good shape, considering," said Sgt. Dolson, adding that the bomb found yesterday would have likely caused more damage. "It would've pretty much shredded a smaller vehicle."

The Red Devils yesterday launched the first "solo" Canadian patrol into the nearly 4,000 square kilometres of rugged mountains and foothills that will be their responsibility for the next six months.

The Canadian battle group, which will grow to a 2,200-strong task force by the end of the month, has until now patrolled in conjunction with the U.S. Army task force that has been responsible for the region for the past year.

The area has long been a hotbed of support for the Taliban, who have been mounting an increasingly violent series of attacks on coalition and Afghan government forces for the past six months, increasingly using suicide and roadside bombs. At least eight Canadian troops have been wounded by suicide bombs or roadside bombs since the provincial reconstruction team arrived here last August.

There have been more than 20 suicide bombings in Afghanistan in the past four months, including one that killed Canadian diplomat Glyn Berry and wounded three Canadian soldiers on Jan. 15.

Last month, Canadian troops and Afghan police averted a potentially deadly car bomb, working through the night to defuse a vehicle packed with enough explosives to cause what a military spokesman called "a catastrophe." The small car, filled with 120-millimetre mortar shells and dozens of smaller explosives, was found abandoned on a street in Kandahar by the Afghan National Police.

In another incident, a minivan full of explosives was found less than five kilometres from the main coalition base in southern Afghanistan. An Afghan National Army patrol found the van, a potentially massive suicide car bomb, on a bridge along the main route between the airfield and the city of Kandahar, said Lieutenant-Colonel Burt Ges, commander of the U.S. task force that is being replaced by Canadian troops.

The attacks represent a change in tactics for the Taliban, the hardline Islamic rulers of Afghanistan who were ousted after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the United States. Canadian intelligence officers say the attacks are not a sign that the Taliban is growing in strength, but rather that they have shifted tactics after last year's more conventional guerrilla attacks on coalition and Afghan government forces failed miserably.

our own silentbutdeadly gets on the scoreboard....

Give 'em hell guys!

Red devils has lasted for quite some time and will for the forseeable future. 

KevinB said:
our own silentbutdeadly gets on the scoreboard....

Give 'em hell guys!

Red Devil's rule the ground........

Is that the nicname for A coy?When and how did they get that nick.... just curious :)

MikeH said:
Is that the nicname for A coy?When and how did they get that nick.... just curious :)
I could be wrong but, A Coy's color is usually red, at least it is in the 2nd. Thats why in the "Old Days", A Coy used to wear red T-Shirts w/ the capbadge on it, B Blue, C Green...ect

F**king right on!! Good job guys, and keep it up!! Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense

I could be wrong but, A Coy's color is usually red, at least it is in the 2nd. Thats why in the "Old Days", A Coy used to wear red T-Shirts w/ the capbadge on it, B Blue, C Green...ect

Dukes Coy (Formerly A Coy), 1RCR wears red as well.

glad we've given the Taliban a warm house warming

Chimo!

MikeH said:

AFAIK  A-Coy has always had the red devil as it's Coy mascot of sorts.  It wasn't until 2001 that we really started to play it up.  Makes for somes good Esprit de Corps within the Coy.

There was a visible Red Devil issue in A Coy in 94-97 -- but I agree recently they have taken it up a notch...

Interesting article in the paper today. Western Canada based magazine has chosen to reprint the carricatures of "the prophet".... while it's freedom of the press, the new defence minister is saying "this is the last thing we need" and others are preticting that some not too nice people will be using this as a fan to stoke up the flames of the fundaMENTALists.

As much as i want to see Canada Woop some Taliban over there, I have to say that it was not the Canadian's that opened fire It was the American's and I'm not just guessing I was called this morning at 5:30 am from one of the Red Devils confirming that story.  Either way its still awesome.

And for the last 5 years I've been a Red Devil and the name will be sticking around for a long time.

RED DEVILS RULE THE GROUND AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO!!! HUA!!!!! (that ones for you KevinB)  lol

Thanks Andy...

We talked to Tim T today -- sounds like an active area -- we are visiting next week  ;)

Come join the fun...  Spoke to the boss - getting some spots for good guys circa May-Jun) ...

That's is what I heard as well Andy....I was just waiting to talk to the guys that were there during the incident.

Kev git your @ss down here....

hey dudes the article is alittle misleading the americans did fire at the bomber i showed up 10 mins later in the humvee , when i stopped the french SF guys with us removed some dirt from behind me and well there was another one (IED) 1x105 and 1x122 the gas , so yeah pants pooh and the rest is history , but we are in the hills up there and yes it is crazy! but fun don't get me wrong. At the same time i alomost seen my friend get blown up in found of me , so any doubts on the Lav and IED's trust me thats one hell of a vehicle!

Well......just listening to the news on the radio (Will now have to confirm it on the internet.) about another Suicide Bomber in Afghanistan.

Apparently an Suicide Bomber drove a VIED into a Convoy of Coalition Troops and failed to detonate the explosives in the vehicle.  He then got out of his vehicle and started throwing handgrenades at the Troops.  He died in a hail of gun fire.

George Wallace said:
Well......just listening to the news on the radio (Will now have to confirm it on the internet.) about another Suicide Bomber in Afghanistan.

Apparently an Suicide Bomber drove a VIED into a Convoy of Coalition Troops and failed to detonate the explosives in the vehicle.  He then got out of his vehicle and started throwing handgrenades at the Troops.  He died in a hail of gun fire.

http://www3.cjad.com/content/cp_article.asp?id=/global_feeds/CanadianPress/WorldNews/w022337A.htm

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/AFGHAN_SUICIDE_ATTACK?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=customwire.htm

From The Associated Press:

Feb 23, 10:00 AM EST

Suicide Attacker Killed in Failed Assault

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (AP) -- A suicide attacker drove a car loaded with explosives into a convoy of U.S.-led coalition forces in southern Afghanistan Thursday, but the bomb failed to detonate, an Afghan official said.

Coalition forces killed the attacker when he got out of the car and threw a grenade at a heavy jeep in the convoy, said Obaidullah Khan, chief of Shah Wali Kot district in Kandahar province where the attack happened around 1 p.m. local time.

No coalition troops were hurt, he said.

U.S. military officials were not immediately available to comment.

Khan said he did not know the identity of the attacker and whether he was an Afghan or a foreigner. He said the man managed to throw one grenade that burst the tire of the jeep that he attacked, but a second grenade exploded in his hand as he was shot.

A purported Taliban spokesman, Mohammed Hanif, earlier telephoned The Associated Press and claimed it launched the attack and that eight U.S. soldiers were killed. Claims made in the name of the hard-line militia sometimes prove incorrect or exaggerated.

There have been more than 25 more suicide attacks in Afghanistan, mostly in the volatile south, in the past five months - a change in tactic for militants here that has fueled fears they are copying methods used by insurgents in Iraq.

From the canadian press feed:
"KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (AP) _ A suicide attacker drove a car loaded with explosives into a coalition military convoy in southern Afghanistan Thursday, but the bomb failed to detonate, an Afghan official said.

Coalition forces killed the attacker when he got out of the car and threw grenades at a heavy jeep in the convoy, said Obaidullah Khan, chief of Shawali Kot district in Kandahar province where the attack happened around 1 p.m. local time.

No coalition troops were hurt, he said."

Were they our lads?  Americans?  Anyone know yet?  What do the rumours say ;-)

vonGarvin said:
Were they our lads?  Americans?  Anyone know yet?  What do the rumours say ;-)

No Canadians were involved.

Back