• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Afghanistan Memorial Vigil" coming to Parliament Hill

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
That, according to a media advisory from the Info-machine:
Media are invited to attend the unveiling of the Afghanistan Memorial Vigil on Parliament Hill on Tuesday, July 9, by Defence Minister Peter MacKay, and General Tom Lawson, Chief of the Defence Staff.

Minister MacKay and General Lawson will take questions from the media following the event.

When:    Tuesday, July 9, at 10:30 a.m. (EDT)
Where:    Hall of Honour
              Parliament of Canada
What:    An announcement by the Defence Minister Peter MacKay and General Tom Lawson, Chief of the Defence Staff.

-30-
Stay tuned!

Ok, first that I heard of this.  What is "An Afghanistan Memorial Vigil"?  Have they finally decided where to put the memorial that was in the NCE/NSE compound in KAF?

No one knows, we'll find out tomorrow morning I guess.

It's some kind of travelling memorial.

Here is an image (courtesy Global news:

BOvVKZ2CIAASHbI.jpg:large

Shirlee Engel of Global says: "This is a travelling memorial display, temporary in Hall of Honour ... 190 plaques pay homage to 201 members of Army, Navy, Air Force, diplomat, contractor, journalist & US soldiers under CDN comd ... Memorial will travel through CDN cities, bases and even CDN embassy in Washington so Canadians can pay their respects."

----------

We've had many, many memorials, large and small, since 1885.

sharpshooter.jpg

This one - to the Ottawa Sharpshooters who served in the North West Rebellion of 1885 is near
Cartier Square drill hall in Ottawa

This, from the Info-machine:
.... The Memorial Vigil comprises 190 plaques representing 201 fallen: 158 Canadian Armed Forces members, one Canadian diplomat, one Canadian civilian contractor, one Canadian journalist, and 40 United States Armed Forces members who were under Canadian command. The Afghanistan Memorial Vigil first will be displayed on Parliament Hill throughout the summer. Over the course of the next two years it will travel across Canada to provincial capitals and selected major urban centres and Canadian Armed Forces bases. It will also travel to Washington, DC ....

From the Backgrounder:
.... One of the ways DND/CAF are commemorating the service and sacrifice of our personnel is through an Afghanistan Memorial Vigil. The Memorial Vigil contains 190 plaques representing 201 fallen: 158 CAF members, one Canadian diplomat, one Canadian civilian contractor, one Canadian journalist and 40 United States Armed Forces members who were under Canadian command.

The Memorial Vigil consists of the original memorial plaques from the Kandahar Airfield Cenotaph. Ultimately, we will reconstitute the Kandahar Airfield Cenotaph in its original and rightful form, at a permanent, prominent, respectful, and accessible location in the National Capital Region.

The Vigil will be open to the public, beginning in the Hall of Honour on Parliament Hill. It will remain on Parliament Hill throughout the summer. Then, at a later date, it will travel across Canada, to a variety of cities and Canadian Forces Bases to ensure all families of our fallen, and Canadians have the opportunity to view it, as well as to Washington, DC.

With approximately 900 CAF members still in Afghanistan, the DND/CAF military engagement in that country is not over and important contributions continue to be made. The Vigil commemorates the hard work, dedication and sacrifice of CAF members during Canada’s mission in Afghanistan, and recognizes the support of military families, friends, and all Canadians.

By the end of Canada’s current training mission in Afghanistan in March 2014, the CAF will have been in Afghanistan about the same length of time as the First World War, the Second World War, and the Korean War combined. Once the last CAF troops have come home, the Government of Canada, including the DND/CAF, will take additional steps to recognize and commemorate all of the work and sacrifices Canadians have made in Afghanistan ....

The Vigil is hitting the road - here's the itinerary:
  • Trenton, Ontario 3-4 May
  • Kingston, Ontario 5-8 May
  • Ottawa, Ontario (Parliament Hill) 9 May
  • Washington D.C. (Canadian Embassy) 22-26 May
  • Quebec, Quebec 9-12 June
  • Valcartier, Quebec 14 June
  • Montreal, Quebec 17-21 June
  • Toronto, Ontario 30 June – 5 July
  • Petawawa, Ontario 8-11 July
  • Victoria, British Columbia 21-26 July
  • Vancouver, British Columbia 29 July – 2 August
  • Edmonton, Alberta 11-16 August
  • Calgary, Alberta 25-29 August
  • Regina, Saskatchewan 2-6 September
  • Shilo, Manitoba 9-13 September
  • Winnipeg, Manitoba 16-20 September
  • Fredericton, New Brunswick 29 September – 4 October
  • Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island 7-11 October
  • Halifax, Nova Scotia 14-18 October
  • St-John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador 22-26 October

It seems to be hitting:
Provincial capitals
the National Capital
the US Capital
Three of our largest cities (Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver)
Significant bases

Except Gagetown.

I know that Fredericton is only down the road, but Quebec City is just down the road from Valcartier.

Technoviking said:
It seems to be hitting:
Provincial capitals
the National Capital
the US Capital
Significant bases

Except Gagetown.

I know that Fredericton is only down the road, but Quebec City is just down the road from Valcartier.

They're going to Valcartier for a single day after Quebec City for four.  Six days in Fredericton - looks pretty even to me. I don't really see the issue in it not going to Gagetown personally, it really isn't a far drive.

Technoviking said:
Except Gagetown.

Considering a significant number of the names on the memorial deployed from Gagetown, its only fitting it goes there for at least a day.

PuckChaser said:
Considering a significant number of the names on the memorial deployed from Gagetown, its only fitting it goes there for at least a day.
That's my point.

Technoviking said:
That's my point.

I'll drive you if you'd like, seriously.

I have no idea where they are going to have the Vigil, but it would be great if it was down by the river in the Garrison District, right by the river.  I honestly have no clue why they don't have Gagetown as a destination, but I wouldn't let that ruffle my feathers.  It's really small potatoes.  Now, if it wasn't heading to Fredericton either, that would be worth talking about

But hey, you never know.  The base might close the J7 "parking lot" and have the Vigil come up for a day...

It should be going to cities and towns that have lost native sons and daughters. In our case Windsor, among many others.

Sounds like another 'Look at us and how we support our military',  bullshit CPC line of crap.

I'm so tired of CPC miscues and disconnected crap. Whoever Harper has putting this shit together should have been fired years ago, because he's obviously using the same person for all these years.

Personally [warning: opinion follows!], I think the memorial would have much greater value in going to places that don't have a nearby Base -- places like Windsor should be the target audience, rather than Trenton that witnessed the repats.  The people on Bases shouldn't require a dog & pony to think about the war and reflect on our losses.

Technoviking said:
Significant bases

Except Gagetown.
Serves you right for presuming that Gagetown is "significant"  :evil:

Well, thanks for completely ignoring the Territories. It's not like there aren't Afghan vets in Yukon, or hell, one of our fallen, Jordan Anderson (on army.ca as 'GO!!!'), from Inuvik...

Brihard said:
Well, thanks for completely ignoring the Territories. It's not like there aren't Afghan vets in Yukon, or hell, one of our fallen, Jordan Anderson (on army.ca as 'GO!!!'), from Inuvik...
And I missed the absence of the Territorial Capitals as well....

Mea Culpa

:salute:

recceguy said:
It should be going to cities and towns that have lost native sons and daughters. In our case Windsor, among many others.
Journeyman said:
Personally [warning: opinion follows!], I think the memorial would have much greater value in going to places that don't have a nearby Base -- places like Windsor should be the target audience, rather than Trenton that witnessed the repats.  The people on Bases shouldn't require a dog & pony to think about the war and reflect on our losses.
+ 10000 - Good to see it's not just little old parochial me, thinking someplace like Thunder Bay, where three of the fallen came from, and is still home to a number of AFG vets, could also be included.

Brihard said:
ANOTHER good point!

Technoviking said:
It seems to be hitting:
Provincial capitals
the National Capital
the US Capital
Significant bases

Except Gagetown.

Not to get picky, but Gagetown is not Camp Gagetown.  Upper, Lower and Gagetown are all down river from Oromocto.    >:D

Driving time CFB Gagetown to downtown Fredericton: 27 min
Driving time CFB Edmonton to Edmonton City Hall: 25 min

It doesn't appear to be that hard off ... and Fredericton has a few extra days compared to other provincial capitals.

Back