• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Age Limits - Reserves

Thank you for all the responses.

I just wanted some advise from people who have been through it all before.

Cheers,
Wolfmaan
:skull:

In the CF we tend to have an older military. The yanks tend to get out of high school and join for a few years and move on.  Whereas in Canada we get many folks who grad high school and get a job or two and then join the military. I feel that works in favour.

Wolfmaan,

I am a member of the Lincoln and Welland Regiment, I joined when I was 29, give me a PM and I can answer all of your questions, as well as give you my experience of joining at an older age.

My wife joined the Regular Force in 1989 - when she was 33.  (Those of you willing to do the math can please STFU - she doesn't need to know that I'm plastering her age all over the internet).

At that time, the age restriction of 28 for recruits had only recently been dropped - she was considered the "Grandma" of her course.

She went on to win the Commandant's Shield.

Age has little to do with it (leaving physical infirmities aside) - it's mostly to do with your mindset.

I've got 5 years on you, Wolfman...I'm 36 and just applying to the military (not sure if I'm going to go reg or res yet, TDB). My boyfriend has been in the CF almost 20 years and he seems to think that maturity is a plus when it comes to working in the military. I told him I was concerned about basic training...he said it's not me that has to worry.  ;)

Fitness is a big part of military life from what I understand, so start hitting the gym. That's what the rest of us applicants have been doing. Best of luck to you.  :cheers:

Your still a spring chicken. I was accepted into the Reserves at the ripe young age of 51. :warstory:

Admittedly I have prior military experience and I happen to have a trade they desperately needed at the time.(mechanic)

They even asked me to go back to the Regs.  If you have all the qualifications and are reasonably physical fit, go for it.

Prior to joining I was a bit overweight so I worked out daily.  As it turned out, there were kids half my age who failed the PT. (to long at computer games)

Go for it. If you don't try, you may regret it. There is no family like the military family.

Good Luck

CDN Aviator said:
Geo....CRA is 55. Not everyone has an entitlement to CRA 60

Point taken... but have been told that, should I want to stick around, they'll tolerate me for another couple of years.  :crybaby:

Not too old at all. If you do join, you will see alot of other mature folks who joined later in life too.  You do have to be physically fit though. Good luck.

geo said:
Point taken... but have been told that, should I want to stick around, they'll tolerate me for another couple of years.   :crybaby:

Geo, there is not enough C4 in the Forces,  that will blast you out of your uniform. ;D

Hey.... I'm slim & trim (+/-)
If it wasn't for my blown out knee I would continue to outlast the members of my Troop / Platoon.

I'm not old... I'm experienced.

C4, there's never enough C4... xcept when you have a woden structure that needs to be destroyed... then all you need is a gallon of gas & a book of matches :)

First off, I agree with everyone else here that says that 31 is far from being too old to join the reserves.  I was 40 when I rejoined. 

I left the reg force in 1989 and rejoined in the reserves back in 2006.  Because of my long hiatus I was required to take the BMQ course again.  Physically it wasn’t too demanding if you prepare.  Lose some if not all of your excess weight and get more physically active.  Being is better shape will only help you.

The thing that I found was significantly harder at 40 than at 20 was the mental element of BMQ.  My section i/c was young enough to be my son.  It really required shifting mental gears to stand at attention and get yelled at by someone half my age.  But on a BMQ where the average age was probably 20 I wasn’t treated differently and if I had expected it to be then that would have only made things worse.  Be prepared to deal with those issues.  Any instructor on your BMQ worth his or her chevrons will realize that what you may lack in endurance you make up for in other ways.  An older person will likely be more mature and any unit can benefit from that.  Start showing leadership right from day one. 

About a year ago I had to do the BOTPR element of my training and that course was fairly unique.  (Yes, I asked.)  I think the average age on that course was around 30.  The oldest person on the course was 51. 

If you’re physically and mentally prepared for your initial training then 31 is a great age to enroll. 

Two things that you might want to consider:  my interests at 40 are different from when I was 20.  Consider that when you decide on what unit to join – if you’re in an area where there is a choice.  Being in a hard-core combat arms MOC is obviously a lot more demanding than many other military jobs.  The initial training is essentially the same, but your trade-specific training will be easier.

Second, I don’t know this for sure, but I suspect that if you enter older and more mature and dedicated then you are likely to be diligent about courses and start to show leadership potential early on.  I’m guessing that this would mean faster promotions. 

And one more thing – I don’t know what the standard issue combat boots are designed for, but they aren’t designed for 40 year old feet.  Get some sort of padding.  Standing at attention in them made my feet go numb in about 5 minutes. 

Follow your dream and look into joining.  I’m confident that your only regret will be in not following that dream sooner. 

Rearadmiral said:
First off, I agree with everyone else here that says that 31 is far from being too old to join the reserves.  I was 40 when I rejoined. 

I left the reg force in 1989 and rejoined in the reserves back in 2006.  Because of my long hiatus I was required to take the BMQ course again.  Physically it wasn’t too demanding if you prepare.  Lose some if not all of your excess weight and get more physically active.  Being is better shape will only help you.

The thing that I found was significantly harder at 40 than at 20 was the mental element of BMQ.  My section i/c was young enough to be my son.  It really required shifting mental gears to stand at attention and get yelled at by someone half my age.  But on a BMQ where the average age was probably 20 I wasn’t treated differently and if I had expected it to be then that would have only made things worse.  Be prepared to deal with those issues.  Any instructor on your BMQ worth his or her chevrons will realize that what you may lack in endurance you make up for in other ways.  An older person will likely be more mature and any unit can benefit from that.  Start showing leadership right from day one. 

About a year ago I had to do the BOTPR element of my training and that course was fairly unique.  (Yes, I asked.)  I think the average age on that course was around 30.  The oldest person on the course was 51. 

If you’re physically and mentally prepared for your initial training then 31 is a great age to enroll. 

Two things that you might want to consider:  my interests at 40 are different from when I was 20.  Consider that when you decide on what unit to join – if you’re in an area where there is a choice.  Being in a hard-core combat arms MOC is obviously a lot more demanding than many other military jobs.  The initial training is essentially the same, but your trade-specific training will be easier.

Second, I don’t know this for sure, but I suspect that if you enter older and more mature and dedicated then you are likely to be diligent about courses and start to show leadership potential early on.  I’m guessing that this would mean faster promotions. 

And one more thing – I don’t know what the standard issue combat boots are designed for, but they aren’t designed for 40 year old feet.  Get some sort of padding.  Standing at attention in them made my feet go numb in about 5 minutes. 

Follow your dream and look into joining.  I’m confident that your only regret will be in not following that dream sooner. 

+1 very true and good post

I was 31 when I did BMQ, I started working out 1 year before I entered BMQ. I failed the CFAT. But, I got a tutor and worked everyday for 3 months. Rewrote the test and passed. July 2004 I was off to Wainwright, 3 weeks in I hurt my back and got sent home. I rehabed my back for 5 months, everday at the gym working out hard. I got back to BMQ and completed. Did SQ in 2005, and things arent too bad, I 'm 34 years old and proud of myself and proud to serve my country. I know you can do it. It is a rewarding experience.

I was 31 when I did BMQ, I started working out 1 year before I entered BMQ. I failed the CFAT. But, I got a tutor and worked everyday for 3 months. Rewrote the test and passed. July 2004 I was off to Wainwright, 3 weeks in I hurt my back and got sent home. I rehabed my back for 5 months, everday at the gym working out hard. I got back to BMQ and completed. Did SQ in 2005, and things arent too bad, I 'm 34 years old and proud of myself and proud to serve my country. I know you can do it. It is a rewarding experience.

Hang in there!

Well said. I was 31 on my first parade. There are enough mental tests ahead of you; don't let your age be one of them. Good luck Pops! Oops I mean Wolfmaan.  ;)

geo said:
Hey.... I'm slim & trim (+/-)
If it wasn't for my blown out knee I would continue to outlast the members of my Troop / Platoon.

I'm not old... I'm experienced.

C4, there's never enough C4... xcept when you have a woden structure that needs to be destroyed... then all you need is a gallon of gas & a book of matches :)

Here Geo -

My uncle joined at 32 :p The other 6 of the family all joined at about 18 :p

Also the oldest a person can be is that they have to be able to get qualified before the compulsary release age. That is what I heard.

Back