• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Age Limits to Join

• Thread starter max_francis
  • Start date
I agree with the posters on this thread 100% - 30 is not too old - I can think of two 35+ Cpls who put most 19yr olds to shame - and they were in jump positions there whole careers!

In addition, the maturity that accompanies an older soldier seems to lead to more success in the initial 3-yrs anyway. How many guys burn their bridges with the NCOs by showing up late/drunk/not at all just because they are 17 1/2 with a full paycheque to blow?

Hell i'm 29 and wainting to get sworn in and off I go to BMQ I feel that there's no way i'm too old.  just remember age is just a number!

I've seen one 40 year old private (showed me his ID) and at least another 38 year old private on an Indoc course I did with the Reg force.

I'm only 17, but I would say you're only as old as you want to be, and it will only limit you if you let it.  Like sivad said its only a number.  As people get older I feel that their strengths and weaknesses change, but everyone will always have some strengths and some weaknesses, just use your strengths to outweigh your weaknesses and push forward.

::EDIT:: Reading that over it doesn't really make sense, but what I'm trying to say is people are so hung up on age that they let it get to them (a few members of my family nearly had nervous breakdowns on the big 50), and THEN it starts affecting them.  Just go for what you know you are capable of and forget about the numbers.

Sorry CrimsonTwighlight, you are as old as you ARE, not as you feel. I think it is disastrous not to acknowledge aging.  In a physical environment, your weaknesses cannot outweigh your strengths. After a time (45 or so) you have slowed down sufficiently that you are a liability. I know there are always exceptions, so hearing about 50 year old corporals who are still slogging with the best of them, doesn't impress me as an argument. They are exceptions, not rules.

I would not recommend anyone ignore age - it is dangerous to others, fools yourself, and ulitmately is self-destructive. "Be realistic" is always a good watchword.

Cheers

Yeah, I guess you are right.  I'm just not old enough to realize it yet, or maybe I am just trying to talk myself out of getting older.

pronto said:
Sorry CrimsonTwighlight, you are as old as you ARE, not as you feel. I think it is disastrous not to acknowledge aging.  In a physical environment, your weaknesses cannot outweigh your strengths. After a time (45 or so) you have slowed down sufficiently that you are a liability. I know there are always exceptions, so hearing about 50 year old corporals who are still slogging with the best of them, doesn't impress me as an argument. They are exceptions, not rules.

I would not recommend anyone ignore age - it is dangerous to others, fools yourself, and ulitmately is self-destructive. "Be realistic" is always a good watchword.

Cheers

I believe in what you say Pronto...specially with your 7 years compared to my 0...but I would think that ultimately the people that would decide as age being a deterrent to a soldier would be the medical staff who monitor physical conditioning in a soldier. So seeing that 45 year old Corporal still training and pulling their weight I dont think is an exception by the medical staff but a right theyve earned through hard work and persevarance. I mean isnt that some of the elements instilled in the Army. By the way Damon Allen is 42 and going for another Grey Cup. Cheers!!!! :cdn:

Nope - it is up to YOU, as a strong member of a team to recuse yourself when you cannot heal from injury, have issues with performance, are compensating for injuries, etc. I just KNEW someone was going to pull the Damon Allen thing - I said there were exceptions to every rule.

What it comes down to is - nobody earns the right to slow the team down, or be a weak link at a time when strength is required. not a 45 year old corporal, not a 45 year old General officer, no one. Full stop. Good team members know when to say - "stop, I need another role in the team so as not to cause problems for others".

It is a very hard rule, and some just cannot accept it - nothing is more pathetic than someone who has stayed too long and needs to be told to go.

pronto said:
Nope - it is up to YOU, as a strong member of a team to recuse yourself when you cannot heal from injury, have issues with performance, are compensating for injuries, etc. I just KNEW someone was going to pull the Damon Allen thing - I said there were exceptions to every rule.

Yea I hear you on the lagging a company during training or in a serious situation. Unfortunately I dont have enough experience to continue this debate seeing as Im not enrolled yet and havent had any such experience first hand. I find it hard to believe anyone giving up on themselves as such when the medical staff has cleared them ok to continue PT as an older soldier though. That certaintly wouldnt be me at least.lol on the Allen comment. When they put Allen on the machines....people thought he turned back time as Pinball put it. Cheers  :cdn:

I'll make one more try: it is not giving up on yourself. That is totally the wrong and incorrect thing to think. It is doing what is right. That is what the Army is all about - doing the right thing for our country and our comrades.

"I'll make one more try: it is not giving up on yourself. That is totally the wrong and incorrect thing to think. It is doing what is right. That is what the Army is all about - doing the right thing for our country and our comrades."

- Well done, Pronto.

Tom

you both have good points Fideo and Pronto but one thing pronto said makes says you do what is best for your team BUT saying that should have nothing to do with age.  there are kids out that at 17-19 that have troube keeping up with the 35-40 year olds.  I just don't believe that a number should tell you when to give up, quite, do whats best for the team, Retire.  What ever you want to call it its all the same.  Just use common sense.

And as one person said "too bad common sense isn't as common as it use to be"

As an 'older' person I think I am qualified to speak on the subject of age (if not military service).  At 38 I am not worn out or unable to keep up with young guys.  In fact, If given a choice, I would rather compete against a group of teenagers than fit, well trained men in their late 20s and 30s.  The physical part is a none issue.  I used to work in the bush in the west coast mountains for a logging outfit.  Believe me I was at no advantage being 19y.  I got my ass kicked every day by guys 20 years older than myself.  The biggest reason that older guys can't, or won't keep up, is years of sloth and abusing their health.

The reason I decided to post (a rare occurence) is that I watched a little bit of the Marine recruit training last night.  I do not recall the name of the program but it has been on before and I am sure many on this forum are familiar with it.  I'll be honest I did not think it looked too difficult.  It would be a huge mental grind to be sure;  and I don't know how I would cope with some the nit-picky rules. But from a physical stand point there are harder jobs in the world:  tree planting, firefighting (in the bush), tree spacing, roofing in the summertime, etc.

The hard part for me, and I assume other mature recruits, would be living and training with a bunch of kids.  The training is set up to 'switch on' boys into fighting men.  I honestly can't see too many men their 30s being as committed as these boys were.  Joing as an NCM 031 in the CF would, I am sure, present the same challenge.  While I believe that older recruits would do just fine the infantry, there is a culture that many (at least me), would find hard to fit into.   

By the way, when the History channel was running that show on civilians taking SAS training (Are you tough enough?) I thought it was usually the same kind of guy that did well.  The typical profile of the top guys was a marathon runner in his late 30s.  Either that or female marathon runner in her mid to late 30s.  I know it is not exactly the same as the real thing, but it did look hard.

Inevitably people slow down with age, regardless of how good their physical conditioning is, it's a fact of life. A reasonably fit 18 - 25 year will most times out do a 35+ person, unfortunate yes, but mostly true. The big advantage with age is experience of course, going raw into the infantry at 35, hell 30+ is going to be a very big physical challenge. That being said, the maturity one has acquired along the way will make them a better student of the craft, but; knowing the craft and being able to do the craft at the highest level are two different things. Pronto is right, there comes a time when you are better off handing out advice than lagging behind in a section attack or during FIBUA etc etc. BTW openclass, that Marine recruit training has no comparison to the canadian militarys BIQ and subsequent courses, two VERY different animals.

pronto said:
I'll make one more try: it is not giving up on yourself. That is totally the wrong and incorrect thing to think. It is doing what is right. That is what the Army is all about - doing the right thing for our country and our comrades.
there it is.

and, after putting the screws to myself on PT this morning, I have decided: 34 is too old.  ;D

I just can't see there being a problem with a soldiers fitness level at age 35 Ryhno.  Damon Allen has been mentioned as  being 42 and still competitive.  There are plenty of other 'older' athletes that are still on top:  Chris Chelios (40s), Mark Messier (40s), Lennox Lewis (late 30s), and most top distance runners are 30+.  Remember George Foreman when he made a comeback in his mid-40s.  Being 38, I know my energy level has dropped a bit, but most of my decline can be attributed to not working out enough. 

As for comparing Marine recruit training to CF training, I wasn't (I have little knowledge of either one).  After seeing the program I thought that the most difficult thing for an older recruit to the infantry (or any other combat arms trade) would be the culture of the organization not the physical part.  I think military and police types call the mind set 'switched on'.  A 35 year old in good shape might be able to compete with younger soldiers, but could he be 'switched on' as easily as an 18 year old.  I know I couldn't. 

I think the problem here is that we are mistaking old (experienced) soldiers for old recruits. Old soldiers are a bastion of any unit, the corporate memory, if you will. Old recruits are just, well, old recruits. They have not counterbalanced their physical decay with intellectual experience and tricks of the trade.

Lets try to break this PC mindset that "you are a great person that can do anything at any time" you are not, you can't, age is a factor.

I agree that the 40 + and fit crowd is truly an exclusive club - hopefully i'll be in it!

GO!!! said:
I think the problem here is that we are mistaking old (experienced) soldiers for old recruits. Old soldiers are a bastion of any unit, the corporate memory, if you will. Old recruits are just, well, old recruits. They have not counterbalanced their physical decay with intellectual experience and tricks of the trade.

Lets try to break this PC mindset that "you are a great person that can do anything at any time" you are not, you can't, age is a factor.
very true. The reason older troops can maintain the standards, and lead the young guys is experience. After you've done this for enough years, your body is used to the exertions, and your mind is strong enough to ignore the discomfort and pain. Further, you've found little tricks that make thigns easier for you. This is why 35-40 year old Sergeants and WOs can run skinny little 19 year old privates into the ground.

Hey! :) I'm new here and would like to introduce myself a bit.. I'm 16 years old, 17 in 2 months and a half and I live in the province of Québec :p. I'm thinking about joining the CF sometimes next year and I thought about registering on these boards so I could find some more information and tips.. anyways, that's about it ::).. Eazy

welcome!!

smart move on joining here as theres tons of information, along with a great bunch of people, make your self at home haha  8)

Back