• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Age Limits to Join

• Thread starter max_francis
  • Start date
Dacon said:
Thank you for the information

Another question, I'm wondering if the army would let me sign up now and I could give them my Grade 10 graduation transcript in June. I was hoping that if I signed up now, I would be able to do the summer BMQ. It would kinda suck if I had to wait till June before I could sign up.

No, the whole point of have prerequisites is that they have to be met before the process is started.

Ask your recruiting centre.  At mine we allow processing to take place if you are 16 but haven't yet finished your grade 10, that way you will be ready in time to enrol for the summer training.

Just go to the nearest recruiting center, it ALWAYS helps when you show interest for something IMO.
They might say no, they might say yes. But going there, and letting them see your face, can always be a plus.
My two cents.
Cheers

Just a couple of questions before I get serious about joining the reserves.

1. How will the time management work? I am currently 16 years old, I attend a highschool. Basically what I'm asking is, how do I have time for both?
Do I go there whenever I feel like it? [Sarcasm]

Really though, how would my schedule look like?

2. You don't get dragged into any firefights/missions correct?
Or as a Reserve in the CF, do you have to enter missions, as in manditory.

3. Payment, as a Recruit, you don't get paid right? Or what is the lowest payment you receive?

4. Types: Will there be choices of Land, Sea, and Air?

Thanks.

faivious said:

1. How will the time management work? I am currently 16 years old, I attend a highschool. Basically what I'm asking is, how do I have time for both?
Do I go there whenever I feel like it? [Sarcasm]

Really though, how would my schedule look like?

You're not the first high school student to join the Reserves.. many others have an they managed it, same with college/university students. You would parade with your unit once a week an than in the Summer you would do courses. You could also do a weekend BMQ course in the fall.

faivious said:
2. You don't get dragged into any firefights/missions correct?
Or as a Reserve in the CF, do you have to enter missions, as in manditory.

Reserves volunteer for tours. You won't be forced to go on tour.. unless something drastic happens
Plus you can't go on tour untill you are atleast 18.

faivious said:
3. Payment, as a Recruit, you don't get paid right? Or what is the lowest payment you receive?

You will be paid.

faivious said:

4. Types: Will there be choices of Land, Sea, and Air?

What your options are is dependent on what units are in your area. But yes there is Army, Navy an some Air Force reserves

Also, USE THE SEARCH all these questions have been asked/answered before

hi guys, you've all been great and have helped me understand the Canadian Forces and have just been awesome, but i have one last question..

I plan on joining the reserves when i turn 16 and have my grade 10 credits, i just want to know if i can apply before i am 16 so that i will be able to do all the training and what not that summer, i hope you get what im saying, this really would make a difference i would be passing up a Jr. B lacrosse opertunity so knowing this makes a HUGE difference!

thank you, mike :cdn:

canadasyouth said:
I plan on joining the reserves when i turn 16 and have my grade 10 credits, i just want to know if i can apply before i am 16 so that i will be able to do all the training and what not that summer, i hope you get what im saying, this really would make a difference i would be passing up a Jr. B lacrosse opertunity so knowing this makes a HUGE difference!

ABSOLUTELY NOT! You can NOT join the CF if you are under 16 NO IF's AND's or BUT's!

We are not even allowed to accept a file if you are under 16

Go play lacrosse and enjoy your summer...

Mike: To my limited Knowledge the CF does not offer any High School training. Get as much, nee. all your High School training while your the appropriate age as High School will provide you with the essentials to excel at your trades training in the CF. Now is the time to become a competent well rounded, future CF member. Look at doing some community volunteer work, part-time hands on work in
a related trade and maybe, learn more about the CF through the Cadet program. Time is on your side. Use it wisely.

Truthfully,
- Neil

Biathloneil said:
Mike: To my limited Knowledge the CF does not offer any High School training.

I didn't know that is what he was asking...
but a FEW (not all) reserve units do offer a CO-OP program that is done in partnership with the High Schools...it offers i believe 2 HS credits (specific ones) while doing BMQ/SQ training...and you have to apply early before the school season begins as it fills up quickly.

Check with the local reserve units and your guidance dept. to see if it's even offered. Other than that the Military does not offer any high school credits.

thank you for your help and responces but i'll explain my situation with a little more detail,

i will be turning 16 as of March 22, 2010  what i want to do is apply around that time at my local Reserve unit in time to start training that summer (June, 2010), or is that even possible?, i WILL be 16 i just won't have all my grade 10 credits yet, if i apply once i have my grade 10 credits summer will be begining and it'd be to late out of commen sense ..

thank you for your help

canadasyouth said:
i WILL be 16 i just won't have all my grade 10 credits yet, if i apply once i have my grade 10 credits summer will be begining and it'd be to late out of commen sense ..

In that case (and there are many) apply on/after birthday with a letter from your guidance dept. saying that you are expected to get the credits in time for the course. Then you can begin the process...
once you have finished the classes...provide updated Transcripts, or a letter saying that you have gained those credits before you are enrolled and you'll be fine

JINGO:) i don't know how to put this in better words other then to say i love you! thank you very much for your assistance hopefully this all ends up working smoothly

canadasyouth said:
thank you for your help and responces but i'll explain my situation with a little more detail,

i will be turning 16 as of March 22, 2010  what i want to do is apply around that time at my local Reserve unit in time to start training that summer (June, 2010), or is that even possible?, i WILL be 16 i just won't have all my grade 10 credits yet, if i apply once i have my grade 10 credits summer will be begining and it'd be to late out of commen sense ..

thank you for your help

Another thing to consider is that not all parts of the country currently offer BMQ in the summer. (as always this is subject to change)

I am a 16 year old highschool student. I've wanted to join the Canadian Forces for the last four years (grade 7). My family is not to pleased with my decisions and do not want me to follow through with my plans.
      Now my birthday is coming up in February and I will be 17 I've done my research and found that with my mother's permission i can enroll full time at 17. I am working on getting my mom's approval as I type this up.
    I do have an issue though. I am not sure if the army will let you get your GED through them, because my career path I have chosen is combat engineer.

If you could help me out by telling me if they let you go for your GED that would be greatly appreciated.

To all members of the Canadian Military, Air Force, Navy, and previous members I can't even explain how proud I am, and how I truly look up to you.

-Brad

Finish Highschool before you enlist into reg force. If you are planning on attending university there are some plans that may help you out either reg or reserve.

I would reccomend starting out with the reserves, it may help your family ease into the idea of a soldier in the family. As a reserve you aren't activated unless a natural disaster occurs, you volunteer, or with parliamentry order. Not to mention you can still finish high school while being in the army. For University the reserves will pay $2000 a year for your education or you can sometimes get more with an officer training program, but it will require you to commit a certain amount of time to the army after you have your degree.

Do what you want, but your family would be much happier if you started out as a reserved and did a CT after you finished school and are sure thats what you want to do.

I will second that. It is much easier to finish high school before joining than after, and lack of a diploma could well limit you in the future. Even if there is no reserve unit in your area, waiting another year to join would be a better choice.

Back