• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Cadet glider program may be grounded

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
Air Cadet glider program may be grounded
Potential cuts to the program could mean cadets' glider days are numbered
CBC News Posted: Apr 29, 2013
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2013/04/29/ns-air-cadet-glider-program.html

Potential cuts to the Air Cadet Gliding Program could mean the days of soaring cadets are coming to an end.

In Department of National Defence emails obtained by the CBC, the department proposes cuts to the Air Cadet Gliding Program, saying the “ACGP has become the primary target for cost reductions within the cadet program."

The email says the decision to close the glider program "will come as a complete surprise."

"This is indeed a dark day for the Air Cadet Program," it says. For many young cadets, the gliding program gave them their first taste of flight.

The memos make it clear that the decision to cut the glider program is only being considered at this time, but that the program is viewed as unaffordable by leadership in the Canadian Forces.

The program could be cancelled across the country as early as next year.
more on link

:(  My 12 year old has just started Air Cadets, and hasn't even been up in a glider yet.  He can't wait to get into ground school...I sure hope they don't cut it.

exgunnertdo said:
:(  My 12 year old has just started Air Cadets, and hasn't even been up in a glider yet.  He can't wait to get into ground school...I sure hope they don't cut it.

Then what should the CF cut instead?  Or are you willing to pay a higher rate of tax (income tax or sales tax) to support it?

Cancelling the ACGP would be a damn shame.  Col Chris Hadfield got his early taste for flight courtesy of the gliding program...and it's easy to see where that went.

dapaterson said:
Then what should the CF cut instead?  Or are you willing to pay a higher rate of tax (income tax or sales tax) to support it?

For this program and many other cadet type programs, I would pay more tax.  Or just divert my part of the tax that goes to Welfare and EI abuse.

Jammer said:
Glider program will not be cut.

Like Jammer noted, ACGP will still be supported.

Statement by the Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence: NR – 13.130 - May 1, 2013

OTTAWA - The Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence, issued the following statement concerning the Cadet Program:

“Cadet organizations across Canada play an important role in promoting good citizenship, leadership, community service and physical fitness among young Canadians.  I believe in the merits of this program and the benefits it provides to Canadian communities are unparalleled.  In fact, the Cadet Program is the best youth development program in Canada. As I informed the House of Commons, "I can assure the House that the Cadet Program will continue to enjoy the important use of gliders."  There are to be no reductions in resources allocated to the Cadet glider program or any Cadet Program. The Cadet Program is here to stay.”

dapaterson said:

How about the Snowbirds or Skyhawks,....or numerous staff that seem to inhabit areas around Ottawa.

Chernoble said:
For this program and many other cadet type programs, I would pay more tax.  Or just divert my part of the tax that goes to Welfare and EI abuse.

Exactly, cutting these programs that provide support to the youth and the future leadership of the country should be well below the priority of money wasted on EI abuse and such.

They have lots of other things  that they should look at for potential cost reduction.  I believe that salaries of staff align quite closely if not entirely with reg force.  Having been involved with the Air Cadets, it always bothered me that an individual who had limited training and  was given the rank that reg force takes years to achieve with the same or similar hourly/daily pay rate. 

Cadets leave and at least in the one I was involved, little or no effort is taken to recover uniforms/boots etc.  CO was then successful in going and getting additional funds... rewarded for not for not doing his job.  Sons in reg force inform me that they have to turn back all uniforms and all are tracked.  Cadets at least from my experience ofter do not. 

Oldest son did glider and power and now pilot with the forces.  A great organization, that would benefit from a review and a review of individual squadrons and COs.  His first CO was outstanding and he still stays in touch with her and is proud to salute her.  The later one, not the same to say the least.

Great news if the MND did step in.
I had not heard of that. Thank you.

Last time I was in cadets, CIC officers received 80% of the pay of Regular Force, the same as any reserve component, and get paid  I believe a maximum of 28 days in the year... The rest of that is completely volunteer time, including all the additional gas they incur to travel, and any extra time off they have to take from work.

Just like the regular force, their are sh*t birds in the CIC. But the majority of them are hard working underpaid volunteers, who specialize in training and supervising kids. Its a worthy investment.

Removing the end state of a program negates everything that leads up to it.

HULK_011 said:
and get paid  I believe a maximum of 28 days in the year...
That is only related to what work they did at their home squadron.  COATs personnel get offered B Class contracts for the summer to conduct cadet training.  There is no limit on how many days when it comes to full time summer work - I believe that this is what may be on the chopping block.  The cadets will continue to glide - just might not have as many CIC staff employed to do it.

When faced with budget cuts, the RCAF is no longer allowed to threaten to shut down the Snowbirds as a cost saving measure (knowing the Gov would never permit it). Maybe the glider program is the new hollow threat...  ;)

While the glider program is as much of a target as anything, I always scratch my head when we even think of cutting programs for youth.

Jed said:
Exactly, cutting these programs that provide support to the youth and the future leadership of the country should be well below the priority of money wasted on EI abuse and such.

Well said. Cadets, run properly, should be seen as an investment in our future.

PAdm said:
When faced with budget cuts, the RCAF is no longer allowed to threaten to shut down the Snowbirds as a cost saving measure (knowing the Gov would never permit it). Maybe the glider program is the new hollow threat...  ;)

While the glider program is as much of a target as anything, I always scratch my head when we even think of cutting programs for youth.

How much does the glider program really cost the CF?

I am pretty sure the gliders and Tow planes are owned and maintained by the Air Cadet League of Canada.

The cost is probably for the staffing of the Glider program during the regular year, as well as the cost of the Summer program which would include R&Q, plus stipend for the cadets, as well as R&Q plus pay for the Staff Cadets and Officers.

HULK_011 said:
I am pretty sure the gliders and Tow planes are owned and maintained by the Air Cadet League of Canada.

The cost is probably for the staffing of the Glider program during the regular year, as well as the cost of the Summer program which would include R&Q, plus stipend for the cadets, as well as R&Q plus pay for the Staff Cadets and Officers.

So, if I read this correctly, what the CF spends on the good program is peanuts in terms of overall spending.

Back