• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Force bases

genesis563

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm curious about your opinions. As far as cost of living, schools, quality of life, nearby attractions or activities, what would you consider the best air force base to be? I know answers are going to vary based on trade, interests and whether or not there is a family in tow, but that doesn't matter to me. Just go ahead and say which base and why.
Thanks.

genesis563 said:
I'm curious about your opinions. As far as cost of living, schools, quality of life, nearby attractions or activities, what would you consider the best air force base to be? I know answers are going to vary based on trade, interests and whether or not there is a family in tow, but that doesn't matter to me. Just go ahead and say which base and why.
Thanks.
Comox is a great place to live, so is pat bay (Victoria). Little pricey though. I spent the last 2 months in greenwood and I really like the area but I can't speak to what it's like to live there.

I believe 412 Sqn still operates out of Ottawa, if you like flying Challengers to transport VIPs.  Ottawa is big enough to have most things, and close enough to Montreal and Toronto to get anything else you want.

As you said, there are so many variables that each person will likely have different answers.  That being said, I don't know too many people who hate Comox or Victoria. 

Commenting as a former army guy, there also are RCAF squadrons based on army bases in Edmonton, Petawawa, Valcartier and Gagetown.

For me it was without a doubt Baden, which is now closed. I would say Kingston for all the usual off base reasons but some aspects of it being a training base can be a pain.
As mentioned Comox is well regarded in the air trades with Trenton somewhere close .
Mind you all my postings except Kingston were to fast jet bases and I was a happy camper at most "cough Bagotville" of them.

Dimsum said:
As you said, there are so many variables that each person will likely have different answers.  That being said, I don't know too many people who hate Comox or Victoria. 
Yeah no kidding eh. From what i can gather it's either coast, or bagotville if you have to work on jets, or Ontario... Like i said biggest factor is probably your trade/ what aircraft floats your boat.

Old Sweat said:
Commenting as a former army guy, there also are RCAF squadrons based on army bases in Edmonton, Petawawa, Valcartier and Gagetown.
I really like the area around Gagetown.  Ormocto is a nice little town and Fredericton is a short drive away. Great smallish city with a lot of history. And if you are a young single guy, there are a ton of college girls come September.

Shearwater on the east coast.  If you can get on a Det and sail, you see some more of the world and add sea pay to your pay, PLD, spec pay and possibly AIRCRA if you receive those too.  Halifax is nice little city for single or married peeps, you can drive 20 minutes and live far enough from the metro area you wouldn't even know it's there.  Greenwood isn't the greatest location for young single folks IMO but a great Wing to work on.

Agree on the Vancouver island postings as the best all around postings in the RCAF in Canada.

Eye In The Sky said:
Shearwater on the east coast.  If you can get on a Det and sail, you see some more of the world and add sea pay to your pay, PLD, spec pay and possibly AIRCRA if you receive those too.  Halifax is nice little city for single or married peeps, you can drive 20 minutes and live far enough from the metro area you wouldn't even know it's there.  Greenwood isn't the greatest location for young single folks IMO but a great Wing to work on.

Agree on the Vancouver island postings as the best all around postings in the RCAF in Canada.

and free parking in Shearwater.

One of the MANY benefits of being on that side of the harbour!!  The MH and FDU folks have it good compared to everyone else.

Eye In The Sky said:
Greenwood isn't the greatest location for young single folks IMO but a great Wing to work on the gene pool needs the additional diversity you'd add.

Eye In The Sky said:

That's actually something that I've been considering ( whenever I'm at the point where I have to take that decision). Which brings me to ask, how is it being an air tech on a ship, and is it really as bad as they say family wise?

genesis563 said:
That's actually something that I've been considering ( whenever I'm at the point where I have to take that decision). Which brings me to ask, how is it being an air tech on a ship, and is it really as bad as they say family wise?

Some guys on an MH Sqn sail a lot and some very little. It depends on the luck of the draw. Those who do sail, often get to see some pretty incredible parts of the world. The cameraderie on a deployed air Det is second to none, in my experience.

It also depends on your perspective.  Is being posted to Victoria or Halifax and sailing better or worse than being posted to Cold Lake or Bagotville and spending time in an FOL or overseas? Or better or worse than being posted to Petawawa or Edmonton and spending time in the field in Wainwright?

I don't have an answer for those questions (there probably isn't  a right answer- it is a matter of personal taste, probably).

Hi

I'm in my AVS QL3 and I will choose my 3 posting in one month. I'm 38 years old french Canadian form Québec. I'm in the air forces since 2 years before I worked with electricity for 14 years.

I'm looking for English air force base to pratic my english.

I would like to know:
-work schedule (I talk with mcpl they were 12h day and night shif 4 on and 4 off) every base have this schedule?
-life in the city (big or small, activity, base is close to, house(old price), PMQ, weather)
-What kind of aircraft is the best for AVS to get spec in good time?
-how is work for the base close to the sea? We are on boat all time?
-Who choose if I work on 1 line or 2 line or 3 line?

Thank you for your help

Pomme said:
I'm in my AVS QL3

For questions about the trade,
https://www.google.ca/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&dcr=0&ei=O2AtWte3D4XHjwTc7oCgCw&q=site%3Aarmy.ca+avs&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca+avs&gs_l=psy-ab.12...0.0.0.83917.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1c..64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.HCyIZMYkQy0

To bounce off this topic. How close are the CAF air bases to operational theatres, specifically in the Middle East (where the AVS techs, AEC, ACSO, and pilots basically hang out)?

Back