• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Operations Officer (AOO)

OceanBonfire

Reaction score
The Evolution of Support: The Air Operations Officer

duaS6xv.png

Aerospace Control Officers (AEC) make ideal candidates for an occupational transfer to the new Air Operations Officer (AOO) occupation. If you are interested in becoming an AOO, talk to your local Personnel Selection Officer. Photo: Sgt Paz Quillé, RCAF Public Affairs

In June 2019, numerous initiatives were launched to ensure the continuing health of the RCAF to further build and maintain our ability to achieve mission success. The establishment of an Air Operations Officer (AOO) occupation within the RCAF is just one of these initiatives.

This new occupation, which came into effect on 30 November 2019, will perform many of the operational planning and management tasks traditionally performed by air operations occupations such as Pilot, Air Combat Systems Officer (ACSO), and Aerospace Controller (AEC). It will reduce the number of aircrew required to fill non-flying positions, keeping more aircrew focused on their primary function and reducing the overall volume of people requiring aircrew training.

The type of tasks fulfilled by AOOs include leading Joint Rescue Coordination Centres, supporting squadron and wing operations, acting as watch officers in operations centres, and air staff planning, all which will generate purpose trained individuals, thus freeing up our operators to concentrate more on their flying activities. The new AOO occupation will be composed of officers ranging from the lieutenant to colonel ranks, and will draw its initial cadre of officers from feeder occupations of ACSO, AEC and Pilot. Once the training program is finalized, the occupation will open up to everyone including direct entry Canadians and non-commissioned members (NCMs) who, ideally, will commission from the Flight Engineer, Airborne Electronic Sensor Operator, Aerospace Control Operator, and Search and Rescue Technician occupations. Implementation is at an early stage; however, assignments to positions will be phased in with initial Occupational Transfer (OT) from qualified pilots, ACSOs and AECs beginning in the 2020 posting season, including an initial cadre of reserve positions. At this time, it is expected that in 2021 the occupation will open for external recruitment and through a wide variety of entry plans: Direct Entry; the Continuing Education Officer Training Plan; University Training Plan for NCMs; the Commissioning from the Ranks Plan; the Special Requirement Commissioning Plan; the Special Commissioning Plan; and the Regular Officer Training Plan; as well as through Component Transfer and/or OT from any CAF trade.

The new AOO occupation is just one of the many new initiatives to help the RCAF stabilize and grow its capacity and ensure the perpetuation of effective delivery of air and space power now and into the future. More details will come as they are available; watch for the CANFORGEN and look to future issues of PERSpectives for more updates!

The new AOO occupation initially will be composed of approximately 194 officers, transferring responsibilities from positions assigned to 61 designated pilot positions, 100 ACSO positions, and 30 AEC positions.

Now that the AOO occupation has been established, next to come will be the new occupation insignia (i.e. the occupational crest). It will be developed over the next year for approval by the Director of History and Heritage.

http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/article-template-magazine.page?doc=the-evolution-of-support-the-air-operations-officer%2Fk98frhl9

What do they do?

Here’s some info.

Basically, there was quite a few pilots, ACSOs and AECs that would be pulled from operational squadrons/units to fill positions as MSOs (Mission Support Officers), Duty Watch Officers etc at Wing Ops, and other staff officer positions at Wings and HHQs.

AOOs are taking over that part of Air Ops so the aircrew (Pilot, ACSO) and Flight Crew (AEC) trades can be employed in their primary roles. For AEC, that would also include air weapons and air traffic duties at Wings and NORAD.

Last edited:
Clearly they're unable to decide as a group whether it's warm, cold, raining or time to go flying...

Actually, from a quick look they’re all dressed IAW the applic CADO for operational dress in 1 and 2 Cdn Air Divs. IIRC it’s CADO 1-006, Operational Dress.

I know it’s crazy to think of, but although I’m only 51 years old, the Div Comd and Div CWO believe I am reasonably likely to be able to decide, all on my own, what jacket I should wear on a daily basis. I might not even want to wear one at all!

Funny Face Wow GIF

😁

The one person who might be out of dress is the mbr wearing a flying suit; AOOs aren’t auth that as their dress of the day. It looks like he has a 404 name tag, and I am 99% sure he’s a friend of mine from our first tour days. The only AOOs I know still wearing flying suits as their op dress are one posted to 434 and in one of the TEFs (Test & Evaluation Flight; each fleet has a TEF that belongs to 434 Sqn).

* CADO = Cdn Air Div Order

Last edited:
I know it’s crazy to think of, but although I’m only 51 years old, the Div Comd and Div CWO believe I am reasonably likely to be able to decide, all on my own, what jacket I should wear on a daily basis. I might not even want to wear one at all!
Slap Heresy GIF by DrSquatchSoapCo

Clearly they're unable to decide as a group whether it's warm, cold, raining or time to go flying...
Finally an organization that doesn't subscribe to the "gloves/tuque/coat" flowchart.

Slap Heresy GIF by DrSquatchSoapCo

Finally an organization that doesn't subscribe to the "gloves/tuque/coat" flowchart.
As a retired Army crayon eating (red) RSM type I couldn't understand it either. Ridiculous - but then that is how some got to where they were. Dress and deportment people.

As a retired Army crayon eating (red) RSM type I couldn't understand it either. Ridiculous - but then that is how some got to where they were. Dress and deportment people.
And if you think we're ridiculously specific about dress, here's an excerpt from the US Army dress manual equivalent about fleece caps (toques):

b. Fleece cap, coyote brown.
(1) Type. The fleece cap is an optional purchase item.
(2) Description. The fleece cap is a single ply, bell shape, pull-on style cap of plain, coyote brown fleece or microfiber material.

c. How worn. Personnel wear the fleece cap pulled down snugly on the head with the bottom edge covering the ears, but not covering the eyebrows. The bottom edge (all) of the cap may be folded, but not rolled. The fleece cap is worn with the APFU or the combat uniform, as prescribed by the commander.

I can see someone jacking someone else up that their earlobes are showing or that their eyebrows are covered :ROFLMAO:

The one person who might be out of dress is the mbr wearing a flying suit; AOOs aren’t auth that as their dress of the day. It looks like he has a 404 name tag, and I am 99% sure he’s a friend of mine from our first tour days. The only AOOs I know still wearing flying suits as their op dress are one posted to 434 and in one of the TEFs (Test & Evaluation Flight; each fleet has a TEF that belongs to 434 Sqn).

* CADO = Cdn Air Div Order
I know that guy, he’s a pilot teaching at Barker College, presumably teaching this course.

AOOs are taking over that part of Air Ops so the aircrew (Pilot, ACSO) and Flight Crew (AEC) trades can be employed in their primary roles. For AEC, that would also include air weapons and air traffic duties at Wings and NORAD.
I tried to get one to staff the ops desk but they want an offset. Why would I do that when the people who do it now can also take shifts on the schedule? I need more people not different people.

To be fair - duty ops is a valid secondary duty for aircrew.

Air Ops O’s are takimg over line numbers at the WOC, CAOC, plans, etc. At the line Sqn, they will eventually be your Sqn Ops cell - replacing the aircrew without offset. Sqn’s will lose a flying Major position, and up to 2x Captains.

To be fair - duty ops is a valid secondary duty for aircrew.

Air Ops O’s are takimg over line numbers at the WOC, CAOC, plans, etc. At the line Sqn, they will eventually be your Sqn Ops cell - replacing the aircrew without offset. Sqn’s will lose a flying Major position, and up to 2x Captains.
It is kind of just formalizing what happens in practice anyway- alot of broken or otherwise non-flyable aircrew ends up doing the Ops jobs…

My current Sqn, Ops Flt is fairly small (6) and all flyers, and 1 is Reserves. It makes it challenging sometimes just to have 1 pers there to answer phone and monitor the + Ops inbox.

Back