• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aircrew Selection/ACS (Merged)

I'm still waiting for a date for ASC.

But im pretty concerned. Do i go there and crash once or twice, then improve. or do i go there giving it my all??

Seems like this system is a little backwards? lol

This is my 4th year applying. Every year for pilot, but because of 20/40 vision, never made it to ASC. I'm sure glad i turned down other offeres to keep at Pilot. Hope 4th year's the Charm :D. And now that the standard has finally changed - ive been given rotp at Uvic and a chance for ASC :D

But i have my ppl and cant go screwing this one up, cant afford a CPL to retest :(

So what is the verdict? Apparently those who crash - pass. those who dont... its up in the air.

Corey

Corey Darling said:
I'm still waiting for a date for ASC.

But im pretty concerned. Do i go there and crash once or twice, then improve. or do i go there giving it my all??

Seems like this system is a little backwards? lol

This is my 4th year applying. Every year for pilot, but because of 20/40 vision, never made it to ASC. I'm sure glad i turned down other offeres to keep at Pilot. Hope 4th year's the Charm :D. And now that the standard has finally changed - ive been given rotp at Uvic and a chance for ASC :D

But i have my ppl and cant go screwing this one up, cant afford a CPL to retest :(

So what is the verdict? Apparently those who crash - pass. those who dont... its up in the air.

Corey

Click <a href="http://Forums.Army.ca/forums/threads/70257.15.html"><b>here</b></a>, scroll down, and read my long post. Pay special attention to the fifth paragraph of my post, that should give you some insight. People who crash often do so because they are trying to do what I outline in that paragraph - hovering around the given altitudes/airspeeds/headings etc., without constantly staying above or below them. People who are able to maintain a heading 5 degrees west of their assigned heading, or 20 ft below their assigned altitude are often keeping the simulator very steady at these points.

However, people doing everything in their power to stay as exact as possible to assigned parameters are often hovering above or below such parameters and sometimes, as expected, lose control - resulting in the crash.

Following instructions is the key here... <i>even if it means crashing the simulator</i>, the ones who pass are going to be the ones who do everything in their power to follow the instructions they've been given to the 'T', as opposed to the pilot who bluntly does not follow the instructions given (i.e. maintaining a constant altitude 20 ft below assigned altitude, as mentioned)...

Infamous-p hit the nail on the head.

Keep in mind that in the end everything on these boards with regards to ASC is merely speculation, even the guys who run the tests in Trenton don't know whats entailled in scoring candidates.

Long story short, try not to overthink this. Things get really blown out of proportion on these boards. Do your best and you'll be fine.

Corey Darling said:
Apparently those who crash - pass. those who dont... its up in the air.

I didn't crash CAPSS and passed. Not up in the air anymore.

Just relax and enjoy it - the simulators are actually quite fun. Don't over-think everything, you will stress yourself out much more than you need to be.

Keep in mind, a good cross-check is what will help your success. Cross-check your instruments, never spend more than a second or two on any one instrument.

infamous_p said:
Click <a href="http://Forums.Army.ca/forums/threads/70257.15.html"><b>here</b></a>, scroll down, and read my long post. Pay special attention to the fifth paragraph of my post, that should give you some insight. People who crash often do so because they are trying to do what I outline in that paragraph - hovering around the given altitudes/airspeeds/headings etc., without constantly staying above or below them. People who are able to maintain a heading 5 degrees west of their assigned heading, or 20 ft below their assigned altitude are often keeping the simulator very steady at these points.

However, people doing everything in their power to stay as exact as possible to assigned parameters are often hovering above or below such parameters and sometimes, as expected, lose control - resulting in the crash.

Following instructions is the key here... <i>even if it means crashing the simulator</i>, the ones who pass are going to be the ones who do everything in their power to follow the instructions they've been given to the 'T', as opposed to the pilot who bluntly does not follow the instructions given (i.e. maintaining a constant altitude 20 ft below assigned altitude, as mentioned)...

ya that was what i thought too .... but my graphs looked like a seismic graph after a 8.0 earthquake.

MG said:
Heheh. So can you tell us if there a stall warning in the sim?  ;)

Hahaha well there is an airspeed warning, but unlike the normal "check airspeed" sort of deals, it just makes a loud ringing sound in the headphones. Had it said "check airspeed" I might have clued in but there was no guessing what that high pitch noise was without being told.

Oh by the way everyone, I failed like I predicted. Now the road to a PPL begins  :-\ Ah well, its a fun trip regardless, I won't mind it the second time, unless I fail.

Ballz, get off here at 1 am! Go crawl into your cozy bed in that palace in Trenton, sleep on top of your blue book (learning by osmosis) and get some rest!

Haha, I'm actually back in Newfoundland already. They only kept me in Trenton long enough to tell me how lousy of a pilot I'd make, then they sent me away.

Sorry to hear that man. Try try try again if it's what you want. Good luck.

ballz said:
Haha, I'm actually back in Newfoundland already. They only kept me in Trenton long enough to tell me how lousy of a pilot I'd make, then they sent me away.

I'm sorry to hear that. Many have failed aircrew and been successful on their second attempt. When you are ready, get back on the horse and start beefing up your next application. Good luck!

Well I've already been accepted to ROTP so i don't need to do the whole application process over. I've gotta get my PPL in the summer when I go back to Fort Mac and yeah, wait to redo it. I'm not too rattled, it won't really delay me or anything. It's just going to cost me more money now that I need a PPL. It's more of a blow to the confidence than anything else haha. No big deal, that's what keeps your head level.

ballz said:
Well I've already been accepted to ROTP so i don't need to do the whole application process over. I've gotta get my PPL in the summer when I go back to Fort Mac and yeah, wait to redo it. I'm not too rattled, it won't really delay me or anything. It's just going to cost me more money now that I need a PPL. It's more of a blow to the confidence than anything else haha. No big deal, that's what keeps your head level.

On the plus side, if/when you leave the service in the end you'll have your PPL (unless my research proves me wrong and you earn a PPL in the CF), a nice bonus.

Sorry to hear that ballz, if only those ppl's and cpl's were subsidized eh?!

Perfect_Clark said:
On the plus side, if/when you leave the service in the end you'll have your PPL (unless my research proves me wrong and you earn a PPL in the CF), a nice bonus.

I'm not really sure what you are trying to say, but Wings standard pretty much = CPL ... we went through the gory details here: http://forums.air-force.ca/forums/threads/58038.0/all.html

Perfect_Clark said:

More like a CPL, as AG said.  If you have the ATPL requirements, all you have to do is write the exams and off you go.

Max

Night rating? What about guys with multi time getting multi? IFR?

Back