• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aircrew Selection/ACS (Merged)

Welcome to Army.ca, colinreid16

colinreid16 said:
I've read all of the other posts thus far regarding this subject.

Including the whole thread with which I just merged your post?

colinreid16 said:
I'm just hoping to get answers to my specific questions.

Which are? They were not answered in the preceding 24 pages?

You are an OCdt already, according to your profile, but have not yet met the requirements for the occupations deemed suitable according to your CFAT score? Were you accepted for a different occupation?

I agree with the previous posts that being well rested and not being stressed out are key success factors. Even though the tests are aptitude based rather than knowledge based, I personally felt more comfortable doing the tests by practicing weeks beforehand. To prepare for Aircrew Selection Testing in Fall 2016 (for ACSO and AEC as my career choices), I used the following websites:

http://arithmetic.zetamac.com/
http://mrnussbaum.com/age-of-the-angles/
https://mirshahi.wikispaces.com/Angles+-+Measure+and+Estimate
http://www.speeddistancetime.info/fuel-test
http://www.purposegames.com/game/16-point-compass-rose-game
http://www.braingle.com/mind/test_numbers.php
http://www.memory-improvement-tips.com/pattern-memory.html
https://www.lumosity.com/ (free version)
http://mentchism.com/chart/100-multiplication-chart/  [table Reading Test]
http://whistleralley.com/mod/mod25.htm [table Reading Test]

When practicing using the links above, I did them on a computer with a keyboard with a number pad (instead of using a mobile device with touch screen). I figured that training my fingers to use a number pad (like the photo in this article) could improve my keystroke speed, which could make the split second difference in answering questions faster: http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/article-template-standard.page?doc=rcaf-improves-testing-for-the-right-stuff/hujqx88w

I didn't pass for the Pilot trade, but wasn't concerned since it wasn't one of my career choices. I doubt any of the links above will help to pass the Pilot tests. Simulator and flying practice may not help either; a few candidates in my group who had pilot/flying experience did not pass the Pilot tests.

No matter what the testing outcome is, enjoy the overall experience! Good luck!

~ I just recently completed air crew selection - although having passed and met the cutoff for every cognitive area, I did not meet the overall cutoff score for Pilot which was not disclosed to me. I will be repeating it in 12 months. I just wanted to leave a very important tip which I believe may have cost me a passing score.

========
The custom keyboard is designed for left & right handed individuals - since some tests require a joystick, your dominant hand may be busy flying, practice typing quickly with your weaker hand, split seconds matter. Practice doing quick data entry with a number pad accurately and quickly - some tests go by quicker than you'd think. Do not get tunnel vision, learn to scan your screen as some tests require shifting your attention around the screen to gather or react to data.

The study guide has great explanations for the different tests - however, note that the actual tests are slightly harder & increase in difficulty. I will stress the fact that you may think your spatial reasoning skills are up to par, but you will be sadly surprised at how demanding the questions are in retaining information about sequences of motion.

It was an amazing experience staying on base and being around members of the CF.

Good luck to all!  :army:

I had my aircrew selection back in August of 2016, and I remember scouring this forum for any extra information that I could to help me 'get an edge' or what I should be studying before arriving in Trenton. While I'm not going to give away any answers or specific details on the test, I'll just post a few things that I found helpful.

http://rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/cf-aircrew-selection-centre/candidate-guide.page
This is the candidate guide for the selection centre. Read it. Read it again! Click on the images under Aptitude Tests and read the image descriptions. No one is trying to trick you when you go for aircrew selection, but make sure you read and comprehend all instruction given to you. Most of the tests will give you a small practice window before starting the real test so you can get a feel of the keys/controls needed. If you're female, I would recommend wearing flats or dress shoes since there are foot pedals used occasionally. Bring some spare change if you would like a coffee. The centre does have a coffee maker, and make sure you wash your mug when finished.

Check and double check that you have all required paperwork before heading to Trenton. Maybe consider bringing a spare envelope to hold your receipts so they don't get misplaced.

http://www.speeddistancetime.info This is a handy site to brush up on your mental math. I also subscribed to Lumosity and practiced daily before aircrew selection. I felt it helped me be more mentally flexible, but of course your mileage may vary.

During testing, you won't have any idea of how you're doing until it's over. 'I'm either doing alright, or failing miserably' was common to hear during breaks. Try as hard as you can even if you think you may be doing poorly. You may be doing better than you thought. Don't give up. Remember to breathe and enjoy your time in Trenton! Some of the aptitude tests could be considered fun.

In my search for any extra information, I ran across an e-book called 'RAF Officer Aircrew Selection Centre OASC: How to become an RAF Officer (The Testing Series)'. Don't bother with it. While the Canadian Forces did buy the testing system that the Royal Air Force uses to screen candidates, it didn't offer me any extra advice that I couldn't find elsewhere. The RAF also has a 'practical' section of testing that Canada did not implement. If you want to throw $10 in a hole like I did, there's better places to waste your money.

Suddenly, the existing nine-year-old twenty-five-page Aircrew Selection/ACS (Merged) thread seemed lonely and unloved, so I added it onto yours.

I kept the name and location of the old thread, though, for the benefit of those already accustomed to it and who know where to look and/or how to search.

Good luck with your next steps.

I took the ASC testing at the end of February 2017 and it was a challenging test. You will study the best you can but when you get there a lot of what you studied and techniques that you may have used to prepare will be largely thrown out the window. My worst activity was the Airborne Numerical Test (TSD). The only hint I can give you is that its format is very different from what is on the study package. It will require not only your ability to do the math in your head quickly, but to collate information to lead you to the correct answer. My best activity besides the psycho-motor tests was the Target Recognition Test which requires your ability to multi-task and maintain situational awareness.

The test really is not all that stressful as some have told me or some have mentioned on this thread. Its just very difficult due to time constraints and the importance of speed and accuracy play a role. I went in there determined and had fun with the test, because some of the activities were actually pretty cool. The way to help keep my cool was to blow off some steam at the gym each day before the testing to calm the nerves.

Study your TSD, mental math, even work on activities that require multi-tasking, practice your memory. Luminosity will help in some areas like the digit recall test, target recognition test, some spatial tests, but do not rely heavily on it. And for System Logic Test, I suggest you up your reading comprehension skills. For the situational awareness test, practice recalling details of particular movements around you. This particular activity will kick you in the butt.

For Pilot, it not solely based on psycho-motor skills as I thought it was. The Captain there told me that because of the advanced systems on the today's aircraft, future Pilots need to perform beyond that of hand-eye-foot coordination and perform in the cognitive dimensions (ability to work 3D Space and manage the a/c systems, read maps all while flying). So in addition your numerical skills is actually quite important. In fact every aspect of this ASC is very important to successfully getting Pilot, not just few parts. So study holistically, but efficiently so you can be effective on the ASC.

At the end, I learned a lot about myself; what I can do and what I need to improve on.

Go there with a great attitude, talk to the people who are in on the experience with you. And when you get the short intro to AEC, ACSO, PILOT ask questions so you are fully aware of the possible positions that may be your future.

Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

I successfully completed Air Crew Selection during the end of February. The testing was challenging but it was a great experience overall.

I seem to be a little confused with regards to the Anthropometric/Medical Testing that I assumed would take place following the computer based testing in Trenton. Following the cognitive testing, I had various measurements completed to determine my suitability to fit in different air frames. Thankfully there were no issues in this regard. I then made my way back home.

I completed my interview and medical tests when I got back. The medical tests were sent to Ottawa and I am still waiting on a response. During my interview I brought up this issue but was not given a definitive answer. I was told that when my interviewer went through his application process and subsequent aircrew selection, it was under CAPSS and that measurements/ medical testing was completed in Toronto following successful completion of testing in Trenton.

There seems to be a change with the introduction of the computer based testing and Anthro is now done in Trenton. My question is whether I will still need to see a flight surgeon in Toronto or if the medical testing completed via the recruiting centre/doctor/optometrist comprises the entirety of the medical requirement for the pilot application. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

As an add on the question above, for AEC, while in Trenton I was told I didn't have to undergo testing at the Toronto medical center. Since then I've had my medical (recruitment center/eyes/blood test & air crew ECG) in since November 14 and the recruitment center has said my file is awaiting an air crew designation at Toronto since December 2nd. Like the above is there anything further that I'm awaiting that I'm not aware of, or is this just bad luck with the wait time.

Roger123 said:
My question is whether I will still need to see a flight surgeon in Toronto or if the medical testing completed via the recruiting centre/doctor/optometrist comprises the entirety of the medical requirement for the pilot application. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, if you are applying to the pilot trade, you still need to go to Toronto to see the flight surgeon. I passed ACS back in December and did the Toronto medical last week.

AlwaysWaiting said:
As an add on the question above, for AEC, while in Trenton I was told I didn't have to undergo testing at the Toronto medical center. Since then I've had my medical (recruitment center/eyes/blood test & air crew ECG) in since November 14 and the recruitment center has said my file is awaiting an air crew designation at Toronto since December 2nd. Like the above is there anything further that I'm awaiting that I'm not aware of, or is this just bad luck with the wait time.

Unless you also have pilot in your application, for AEC, my understanding is you don't need to go to Toronto for medical. I think you are just waiting for a decision from Ottawa.

iamrah said:
Yes, if you are applying to the pilot trade, you still need to go to Toronto to see the flight surgeon. I passed ACS back in December and did the Toronto medical last week.

Thanks for clearing that up. If you wouldn't mind elaborating, what type of medical testing/ testing in general are they doing that is not covered in the medical portion/ anthro measurements? Did you receive an air factor once you finished with the testing?

I'm assuming that the medical test in Toronto was the last step in your application. Were you given an indication of when you might get an offer?

I apologize for the bombardment of questions. I assumed that success at ACS would translate to a speedy turn around to an offer and commencement of BMOQ. The wait and uncertainty is eating me up.

No. It is the Canadian Armed Forces.

Thanks for the input guys and giving me a more realistic ( longer than I thought) expectation. Going to continue studying, working out and working to combat the uncertainty/waiting that is the application process.

See my response below, I hope that helps.

Roger123 said:
Thanks for clearing that up. If you wouldn't mind elaborating, what type of medical testing/ testing in general are they doing that is not covered in the medical portion/ anthro measurements?

It was very similar to what I had done in the medical, the only new thing was you actually spoke to a doctor and he/she will ask you about your medical history. They also ask you to elaborate on some stuff, for example, I had to explain how I dislocated my shoulder

Did you receive an air factor once you finished with the testing?  no, what was explained to me was they send the results to Ottawa and they decide

I'm assuming that the medical test in Toronto was the last step in your application. Were you given an indication of when you might get an offer? not really, they just said the results will be sent to Ottawa and then to your CFRC and based on my experience that could be anywhere from a few weeks to a few months

Has anyone who took the ASC Test in Feb27 - 28/2017 received any offers yet for pilot, acso, aec? I'm waiting to hear whether or not for AEC.

I completed ASC testing successfully a week prior ( Feb 23-24) for PLT, AEC and ACSO. My application to AEC and ACSO is complete but am waiting on the aircrew medical for PLT. I believe once that is complete I will be merit listed ( put on the competition list ? Used merit list terminology when doing my interview and the interviewer corrected me by saying the competition list) to all three trades.

In short, no. But if I was going for just AEC or ACSO I believe I would have already been on the list. I believe selections are held every 2 weeks. Are you currently on the list for selection?

BTW, while at ACS and before commencement of testing, my group was told ( by the selection officer) for DEO applicants that the results and score on the test was largely used in the selection and ranking of applicants. In other words, meeting the cutoff for a trade does not translate to an automatic offer due to open slots and ranking. I believe for ROTP applicants, prior academic history has a large bearing in addition to ACS. I then hear rumblings that when listed for selection, only the fact that you passed ACS is noted and not used to rank people. I would appreciate any input in this regard.

Did my Aircrew Selection Course (ASC) testing in April - have not heard anything nor received the reimbursement to date (for taxi, food per diem, etc.). Passed for AEC.

During the ASC briefing, it was mentioned that results are a combination of the ASC test, and CFAT and interview (makes sense though!) on a top-down basis.

When I went to my CFRC to submit paperwork from the Trenton trip, I asked and I was told that BMOQ for successful applicants would be in the Fall - so I am guessing interview, medical, offers, unsuccessful notifications, etc. could take place anytime between now and fall.

Just putting this out there for people wondering about timelines. If you have better or updated information though, feel free to share!

Cheers.

High-PoweredXU said:
Has anyone who took the ASC Test in Feb27 - 28/2017 received any offers yet for pilot, acso, aec? I'm waiting to hear whether or not for AEC.

I took ASC test in early March, successfully passed for AEC and ACSO but I only applied for AEC though. And I've been put on the competition list just a couple days before the selection (April 19th) but I am still waiting very patiently to hear back for the offer.

With respect to your potential offer PineTree, be sure to check your spam folder. Ive heard a fair number of stories of offers being sent directly to spam.

I also did ACS during the month of April (mid) and have been patiently waiting to hear back. J called my recruitment centre (Ottawa) and was told that I may not get a chance for an interview until July/August as they are short staffed and need to push through RMC applicants.

It is hard because I am very eager to start and in actuality I'm open to anything in the Forces (but would prefer Air Force). Just thought I'd update others on what I was told. I hope it helps and I hope we all hear back for our respective positions soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back