• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Alberta floods 2013

old medic

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
20 June 2013
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/calgary-communities-evacuated-as-flooding-prompts-state-of-emergency-1.1333791

....... Helicopters survey flooded Highwood River

The RCMP confirmed to CTV Calgary that support from the Canadian Military has been requested to help the flood-stricken town of High River.

Three helicopters and additional ground support have been dispatched to High River, south of Calgary, from Canadian Forces Base Cold Lake, reports CTV Calgary.

A number of High River residents were reported to be stranded on rooftops as the Highwood River water levels rose.  ..........

As a current Alberta First Responder, I will have you know that it is Bat-Shite insane here right now.

Sundre, Olds, Red Deer and everything south are on mandatory Evac order.
Canmore, Banff, and Exshaw are basically islands now.

65% of Calgary is on mandatory evac orders and is getting worse.

Strathmore, Okotoks, Brag Creek, Black Diamond-Oilfields, High River and Turner Valley are all on mandatory evac orders.

Basically everything south of Bowden is in State of Emergency. All of the meteorologists and disaster planners are saying the worse is yet to come and is expected to peak overnight, worse than the floods of 2005.

This is on yahoo news

The Canadian Armed Forces have been called in to give assistance to flooded areas of southern Alberta.

The military has issued a news release saying two helicopters and a Hercules aircraft have been deployed to the affected areas to assist in extracting people who are stranded.

The request for help was made by the RCMP.

Officials with the City of Calgary say as many as 100,000 people could be forced from their homes over the next few days due to heavy flooding.

Torrential rains have created havoc in southern Alberta from Banff and Canmore and Crowsnest Pass in the Rockies, to Calgary and beyond in the north and south to Lethbridge.

The flooding was particularly destructive in communities just south of Calgary such as High River, Turner Valley and Black Diamond

and here is the link

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/drivers-rescued-trans-canada-rain-causes-flooding-mudslides-160211758.html

Can't even turn my PC around to help or go to home base, chunks of highway are floating away. Houses in Canmore are sliding off the mountain.

20 June 2013
http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/06/20/edmonton-troops-on-standby-to-help-out-in-southern-alberta-floods

Edmonton soldiers are on standby in case they’re needed to aid relief efforts following massive flooding in southern Alberta.

“So far there has been no official request for military assistance, but we continue to monitor the situation very closely,” said CFB Edmonton spokesman Fraser Logan, Thursday afternoon.

“We do have a dedicated military officer who is in contact with the Alberta Emergency Management Agency’s operation centre.”.......

continues at link without other mention of military assistance

Edmonton can hold their horses, DOM ops is reserve territory, not to say we don't need all assistance, but by how its set up reserves are called in first, then additional man power as needed from reg force.  we are waiting on LFWA and brigade to make up their minds

MilEME09 said:
Edmonton can hold their horses, DOM ops is reserve territory,

:rofl:

Yes, I remember all you reservists with us on Op SALON.

Anyway, here's hoping it doesn't get worse!  Stay safe, Alberta!  :salute:

I was lisetning to this on the way into work today.  The reporter in Calgary was saying the water was 1 M below the deck of the 10th St Bridge crossing the Bow into Sunnyside.  :eek: :eek:  I lived in this area before I joined up and I am shocked at the thought of what that must be like there.  I feel for the poor bloody Zoo, that must be a nightnmare for the staff and hopefully not the animals.

Good luck everyone there in Southern Alberta.

MilEME09 said:
Edmonton can hold their horses, DOM ops is reserve territory, not to say we don't need all assistance, but by how its set up reserves are called in first, then additional man power as needed from reg force.  we are waiting on LFWA and brigade to make up their minds

No it is not...the reserves are to augment the IRU.....also it takes time for Ottawa to release authorization for Class C pay for us reservists, I speak from first hand experience with OP LAMA in newfoundland.......part of the Canada First strategy has every part of the CF ready for dom ops.....

MilEME09 said:

Right. Because the IRU is made up of reservists  :facepalm:

This from the PM:
"Our thoughts and prayers are with those families who have been affected by the serious flooding in Calgary and Southern Alberta.

"I want to assure Albertans that the federal government has offered any and all possible assistance to the Province of Alberta in response to the situation.  Canadian Armed Forces assets, including a Cormorant and Griffon helicopter, have been deployed to the area to assist the Alberta Provincial Emergency team with rescue and evacuation efforts.

"We hope for a speedy end to the flooding and return to safe conditions as soon as possible.  We remain ready to provide additional assistance if requested by provincial authorities.”

MilEME09 said:

"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

That is your sig line, right?

MilEME09 said:

Really???? Bwahahahahahaaha..... Was that a joke?

MilEME09 said:

Shhh.  The adults are talking.

Joke or not, last briefing I got was that 90% of Dom ops was to be reservist, 10% reg force(Just as expeditionary ops are 90% reg, 10% reserve). Which is why the territorial brigade groups were created. Atleast that's it on paper

MilEME09 said:
Joke or not, last briefing I got was that 90% of Dom ops was to be reservist, 10% reg force(Just as expeditionary ops are 90% reg, 10% reserve). Which is why the territorial brigade groups were created. Atleast that's it on paper

Key Phrase in red.

1,200 troops deploying to help flood-hit Alberta communities

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/1-200-troops-deploying-to-help-flood-hit-alberta-communities-1.1335330

21 June 2013

Six hundred Canadian Forces members are en route to lend a hand in flood-devastated areas of Alberta, with another 600 preparing to deploy by the end of the day, CTV News has learned.

The first 600 soldiers are deploying from Edmonton, and are being sent to High River, Canmore and Kananaskis.

"The military is going to call them in to help with the evacuation effort and then later to help with negotiating the terrain,” said CTV News Channel's Mercedes Stephenson.

“A military source tells me the military has the equipment they need to be able to move people around the very rough and rugged terrain. The military is ideally suited to be there."

Stephenson said the first soldiers are expected to arrive Friday morning to conduct reconnaissance and determine where the second group of 600 soldiers can best be deployed.

continues at the link above

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Edmonton+soldiers+police+poised+assist+with+flood+relief/8557002/story.html
Soldiers with Edmonton Garrison are in Red Deer waiting to be deployed if required Friday, while Edmonton police plan to send as many as 100 officers to Calgary to assist with that city’s flooding

“We have a vanguard, the immediate response unit, in a holding pattern right now in Red Deer,” said Canadian Forces spokesman Fraser Logan, all of whom are prepared to be deployed wherever needed. “They arrived some time between midnight and 1 a.m.”

Logan said just under 400 troops are involved as of Friday morning. “We have courses running now that we can suspend if needed” to free up additional troops.

“Red Deer is basically the staging area. We didn’t want to be waiting here in Edmonton; we wanted to get as close as possible to where the need is.

“People should be seeing troops in the Cochrane area, High River area, Red Deer and in Calgary by mid-morning. These are reconnaissance parties who are there to assess the situation, they’re not bringing in specialized equipment or being the muscle behind the sandbags.”

Meanwhile, Calgary Southeast MP Jason Kenney tweeted Friday that the Canadian Forces is also sending an additional Cormorant helicopter and five additional Griffon helicopters to the affected areas, along with 354 troops to help initially with logistics and fuel in the Kananaskis Valley and evacuation for Canmore and High River hospitals.

The Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre in Trenton, Ont., dispatched three helicopters to the affected areas Thursday — two were sent to Calgary to assist the RCMP with rescue and evacuation efforts, while the other was sent to nearby affected areas. An additional helicopter was dispatched Friday morning from Cold Lake.

...... continues at link

The last time a prairie city required a bde to save it from floods, we needed AVLB in Winnipeg.  To bad the last of them are now retired, gutted and parked at CFSD in Edmonton.

Back