• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Alberta job agency turns to U.S. veterans to fill vacancies

Infanteer said:
Maybe instead of paying EI checks, the money is used for courses and a plane ticket from all the seasonal work areas to Alberta.

That has merit, if one didn't mind traveling, it could be a work from home area, then off to the sands in the off season. But that's probably too much like work.

Brihard said:
It pisses me off how much high schools and parents push the university path as the 'superior' stream in life to kids. Looking back at my time in high school, there was a clear academic stratification (as opposed to streaming) that pushed the 'smarter' path as doing the university prep courses, and dodging anything to do with trade skills...

I have both a university arts degree and a college diploma related to trades - each has been useful, enriched my life and enhanced my earning potential.  I have to admit, when I went to college some years after the degree, I had a stereotype that college would be less academically challenging.  Wrong - for some programs, at least, you have to be very much on your toes (& unfortunately my brain seems to have lost some recall capacity in the interim). 

At any rate, each kind of education is valuable, & others besides - or going straight into the job market in some cases.  I'm glad to hear from RDJP that the university 'stream' isn't always pushed. 

Back