• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All about MilPoints

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I can say is, thank god we don't work at the Mint.

Mike, didn't you know MilPoints were like fool's gold?  ;)

Hi,

I just found the Milpoints thing by clicking on the MP beside my name to see what it was all about ... and discovered the ratings etc. I see 4 negatives by my name. Also one nice comment  ... thank you commenter for the nice thing you said :)

I was concerned about the negatives??? I see I did 4 no-no's so far it looks like and would like to say I'm sorry as I slowly learn Armcy.ca ettitquette/rules etc ;)

How does Army/ca use the MP's? Like a ratings and if ratings are too frequent or farly negative the person gets banned? Just wondering and checking in here ;)

Thanks.

if you look here:

http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/79358.0.html

all the answers you need

I just noticed I got penalized for creating a thread that got deleted the other day. I do not remember creating any threads then, so hard to tell what I did wrong.

It may be a thread that was created long ago, and deleted the other day.

Unfortunately, as is the nature of deleted things, we can't tell now which specific thread it was.

Your MilPoints balance seems to be doing OK despite the setback. ;)

Cheers
Mike

It happens occasionally when the janitor comes in and sorts through all the duplicate posts, redundant threads and useless crap that clutters the boards. If you'd done something drastically against the guidelines, you'd have been warned. Don't worry about it, the count really doesn't mean anything, and no one will think any less.....or more of you for it.

Milnet.ca Staff

Is there a way per chance to modify ones milpoint after giving some? I was a bit to trigger happy on a slow loading site and gave positive amount instead of negative.

Nope, just dock me 200 points and the result will be the same...........[ and I totally agree with your assessment of my post]

I tried docking myself but alas......

Sort of like the 25 cent office Swear Jar. Just drop a couple of bucks in, and you should be good for the day. Or, about 15 minutes.  :)

I will have to wait until tomorrow, and the next because I can only give or dock max of 100. :p

I figured I would stop further derailing in response and just give negative MPs.

mellian said:
I will have to wait until tomorrow, and the next because I can only give or dock max of 100. :p
I figured I would stop further derailing in response and just give negative MPs.

As long as you promise to read my posts, Mellian. Hate to think I am wearing my fingers down to the nubs for nothing.
I figure Milpoints are sort of like those 1-800 "How's my driving" stickers you see on the back of trucks. 
Mine says, "Am I driving too slow?"  :)

mariomike said:
As long as you promise to read my posts, Mellian. Hate to think I am wearing my fingers down to the nubs for nothing.
I figure Milpoints are sort of like those 1-800 "How's my driving" stickers you see on the back of trucks. 
Mine says, "Am I driving too slow?"  :)

Reputation point systems are good for that, instead of always bothering the moderators about something.

mellian said:

Until milpoints aren't given out for being online or making posts they will remain ineffective as a means of gauging one's reputation or quality of posts.

I see more as a representation of their overall contribution to the message board and sign of them generally keeping to the rules. Even if one does not post much and gets most milpoints from how much time they spent, it is a good chance they spent that time reading and peacefully lurking.

When you get someone posting in threads such as the Word Association thread, they can obtain a fair bit of milpoints for one word posts that do not really give or take anything from the site.

I tend to agree with Flawed Design, while milpoints are being awarded for being online and making posts it does not really convey the quality of someone's posts, behaviour, or overall reputation on the site. Although, when someone has a negative milpoints number you can pretty much tell what the quality of their posts and overall behaviour are.

I think it would be a much better system if we could only gain points by having them awarded by our peers.

JBoyd said:
I think it would be a much better system if we could only gain points by having them awarded by our peers.

And then good chunk of us will end up in the negative if one minuses out the post/thread/time gains from our present milpoint scores.

mellian, your view of the MilPoints system is bang on. The intent was to reward "good behaviour," whether that's reading and searching, contributing to the site content or engaging in a civil discussion. It's not supposed to be a two dimensional metric that shows only how others subjectively view the user... there's an objective component related to their interaction with the site.

Also pertinent, is that posts into Radio Chatter (such as the Word Association thread) don't earn you MilPoints... but they might earn you a loss if they're deleted or deemed negative by another user. ;) That was done for the very reason stated above, people could otherwise pad their total quite easily.

I'm not suggesting it's a perfect system by any stretch, but I think it's doing all I can ask of it for the moment.

Well it is good to know that posts within Radio Chatter are not padding milpoints totals. Knowing this now my view is slightly different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back