• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All Things CF Firefighter (merged)

Yes, it's a tremendous help. The reason I ask is, I'm a volunteer Firefighter. I'm doing my testing for reserves right now, the problem with our rural department is that a lot of the guys know the IFSTA textbook and procedures, front to back. We're just not certified, but if I'd still have to get re-certified in the Forces. I might as well devote all my effort to the Reserves. Thank you very much, ff149. I don't suppose I could ask how often Military Fire Fighters get called out? How's the life style? That kind of thing. That would be tremendously helpful. Thanks again -Badger

BadgerTrapper said:
I don't suppose I could ask how often Military Fire Fighters get called out? How's the life style? That kind of thing.

The recruiting video says, "We may not have the call volume that a civilian department in downtown Toronto* or downtown Halifax has."
* Some pumpers average almost 5,000 ( non-training ) runs per year.

Topic: CF Fire Fighter:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/27178.0
8 pages.

You may find this outside discussion interesting and informative.
"Canadian Military and DND Firefighting":
http://www.firehall.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71

BadgerTrapper said:
I don't suppose I could ask how often Military Fire Fighters get called out?

As one of my good friends (who used to be a CF FF) put it : "Fire Prevention works"

CDN Aviator said:
As one of my good friends (who used to be a CF FF) put it : "Fire Prevention works"

I'm not used to that, comes as a bit of a shock to a guy who's a member of department where 80% of our calls were EASILY preventable. I'll assume that it's like a Civvie department in the sense that it's a comfortable living area? Weights? Lounges? etc.? I realize that not ALL departments are the same. But is there a common standard?

BadgerTrapper said:
I'll assume that it's like a Civvie department in the sense that it's a comfortable living area?

I was curious if they have a comfortable sleeping area. Any firehouse I have been in has a dormitory. From what I have read, I believe the CF has beds too.
Reference:
http://pubs.drdc.gc.ca/PDFS/unc48/p524652.pdf
"bed-time at 2300 hrs"

ff149 said:
Mods maybe we should move this to the Air force support trade form.

Hey everyone,
Just hoping to breathe some air on this topic
I heard firefighter along with search & rescue
Are closed off to the public and only reserved
For experienced CF members.
DND I heard does open for civilian fire fighters

If anyone has info as to where(sites,blogs etc) and when DND
would Post for firefighter.
I would guess the government Canada site?

Cheers

ZeroDark30 said:
If anyone has info as to where(sites,blogs etc) and when DND would Post for firefighter.

"DND posts job opportunities open to the public on the Public Service Commission (PSC) job site."
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/jobs-civilian/civilian-jobs.page

Pay rates on page 109:
http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pubs_pol/hrpubs/coll_agre/sv/sv-eng.pdf

A DND Firefighter Job Call from 2010:
http://www.firehall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22068

"Must be Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) or Primary Care Paramedic (PCP) certified and be able to obtain a Saskatchewan licence through the Saskatchewan College of Paramedics."

Edit to add.

You may also wish to consider Greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA) Firefighter:
http://www.communityoutreach.ca/job/firefighter-recruit

mariomike said:
"DND posts job opportunities open to the public on the Public Service Commission (PSC) job site."
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/jobs-civilian/civilian-jobs.page

Pay rates on page 109:
http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pubs_pol/hrpubs/coll_agre/sv/sv-eng.pdf

A DND Firefighter Job Call from 2010:
http://www.firehall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22068

"Must be Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) or Primary Care Paramedic (PCP) certified and be able to obtain a Saskatchewan licence through the Saskatchewan College of Paramedics."

Thanks for the info

The transfer of medical certs are tricky from province to province.

Cheers

Gents,

I hope this thread isn’t totally dead!

I just CT’ed into the trade and am posted to the Borden BTL in oct and couldn’t be more happy! I was just wondering if anyone had any insight on when the next unskilled QL3 is?  I wouldn’t mind spending a couple months in the holding platoon but if I can I would push my RFD and OJT to my current area so my spouse doesn’t totally want to murder me.

Cheers!

firehoser said:
I just CT’ed into the trade and am posted to the Borden BTL in oct and couldn’t be more happy! I was just wondering if anyone had any insight on when the next unskilled QL3 is?  I wouldn’t mind spending a couple months in the holding platoon but if I can I would push my RFD and OJT to my current area so my spouse doesn’t totally want to murder me.
Cheers!

According to their DWAN site, 12 Nov 13 - 10 Jun 14.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on contract lengths for Firefighter. I read on a  forum that was dated several years ago and it said you have to sign a minimum of 7-9 years as your first contract or you have to sign a new contract once you become QL5. Is there any legitimacy to this? or is this old policy? I am in the process of transferring and these kind of questions the BPSO can't answer.

Thanks.

88rustang07 said:
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on contract lengths for Firefighter. I read on a  forum that was dated several years ago and it said you have to sign a minimum of 7-9 years as your first contract or you have to sign a new contract once you become QL5. Is there any legitimacy to this? or is this old policy? I am in the process of transferring and these kind of questions the BPSO can't answer.

Thanks.

You sign a 3 year contract before your QL3's then when you PASS your QL5's you sign another 5 year. If you have any other questions regarding the trade don't hesitate to pm me.

Does anyone know when the next QL3 for firefighter is?
Also, if your MOC is in your hometown, would you be able to live off base
while enrolled?

First contract is 9 years After that you can have two 5 years contract.

PM me for more info.

They are currently in the middle of running two or three courses at the moment which is extremely rare because it used to be 1-2 a year. As for the next one I don't know for sure but I will take a look when I get to work tonight.

Your second question is a little confusing (at least to me)

During your course, you are to stay in the shacks. Some people stayed with friends in town or if they had a house in Barrie or something they went there but officially, you are to stay in the shacks.

After course, you can live where ever you want.

Anymore questions/ Don't hesitate to ask. Not a lot of FF talk on the forums so its always refreshing to talk about it.

cmac232 your other posts on this topic have been removed.  You have been on this site for over 2 years, so there is no excuse for not knowing the site guidelines.  Once you regain the ability to speak you WILL NOT spam the board again, and you WILL learn to compose propper sentences.  Failure to comply with either direction WILL result in further DS action.

Hatchet Man
Milnet.ca Staff

Not sure this will help much - I graduated from the RCAF School of Firefighting and Crash Rescue (Camp Borden) in May of 1962!  I was an 18-year old high school dropout from Nova Scotia, originally selected after Basic Training to be a Vehicle Mechanic.  Awaiting assignment to the trades school, I was employed as an acting Drill Instructor in the summer of 1960 at RCAF Aylmer, On, and managed to get myself in a bit of trouble (that'll happen when the senior DI finds you just about to home base with the only female DI in the Section over the noon hour, when everyone else is away at the Mess hall or the Corporals Club).  The Base Chief managed to keep a straight face as he explained that with my ability to screw up I would be a great fit for the FF651 trade, and away I went.  Best thing that ever happened to me!  Posted with my best friend to RCAF Penhold, I loved my new trade - had a great summer, then, in September, the Section Chief agreed to put the two of us on straight nights so we could attend the local High School in Red Deer, to get our matriculation.  Couple of years later we were both posted to 1 Fighter Wing, Marville, France.  By 1970 we were both back in Canada, both married, and both attending the University of Alberta on UTPM scholarships - I eventually was selected for the Logistics Branch and ended up serving 22 years as an Army Supply Officer, and my buddy became a JAG lawyer.  We're both retired LCols now.  What should you expect as a CF Firefighter?  Good training, hard work, lots of opportunities if you are smart enough to recognize them, promotion when you have earned it and friends who will last a lifetime.  What should you do?  Get super-fit and stay that way, pursue your education, learn to speak French and English, volunteer for the hard jobs and stand up for your brothers.  Don't be afraid to step up and lead, keep your word and treat everyone with honour and respect.  What you are is more important than who you are - get things done but always share the credit, and never blame others - admit it when you are wrong and learn, learn, learn from both your successes and your mistakes. Good Luck!

DCO2SvcBn said:
Not sure this will help much - I graduated from the RCAF School of Firefighting and Crash Rescue (Camp Borden) in May of 1962!  I was an 18-year old high school dropout from Nova Scotia, originally selected after Basic Training to be a Vehicle Mechanic.  Awaiting assignment to the trades school, I was employed as an acting Drill Instructor in the summer of 1960 at RCAF Aylmer, On, and managed to get myself in a bit of trouble (that'll happen when the senior DI finds you just about to home base with the only female DI in the Section over the noon hour, when everyone else is away at the Mess hall or the Corporals Club).  The Base Chief managed to keep a straight face as he explained that with my ability to screw up I would be a great fit for the FF651 trade, and away I went.  Best thing that ever happened to me!  Posted with my best friend to RCAF Penhold, I loved my new trade - had a great summer, then, in September, the Section Chief agreed to put the two of us on straight nights so we could attend the local High School in Red Deer, to get our matriculation.  Couple of years later we were both posted to 1 Fighter Wing, Marville, France.  By 1970 we were both back in Canada, both married, and both attending the University of Alberta on UTPM scholarships - I eventually was selected for the Logistics Branch and ended up serving 22 years as an Army Supply Officer, and my buddy became a JAG lawyer.  We're both retired LCols now.  What should you expect as a CF Firefighter?  Good training, hard work, lots of opportunities if you are smart enough to recognize them, promotion when you have earned it and friends who will last a lifetime.  What should you do?  Get super-fit and stay that way, pursue your education, learn to speak French and English, volunteer for the hard jobs and stand up for your brothers.  Don't be afraid to step up and lead, keep your word and treat everyone with honour and respect.  What you are is more important than who you are - get things done but always share the credit, and never blame others - admit it when you are wrong and learn, learn, learn from both your successes and your mistakes. Good Luck!

Welcome to the site.....

Can you please form your post into paragraphs rather than a giant wall of text, it will make it much easier to read .......

MILNET.CA MENTOR

Back