• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things Charlottesville (merged)

Unlocked.

"Diverging opinions are welcome and encouraged. All members are reminded to maintain a civil, respectful tone when debating points they do not agree with.
We appreciate these are sensitive topics, with strongly-held positions. With that understanding, any posts on these hot topics that breach site guidelines, including, but not limited to, vulgar language or ad hominems will find it's way to accelerated warnings. Lively disagreements are possible to be discussed factually, without cheap shots at opposing views."

Milnet.ca Staff

From Twitter

Alt-left, violently coming at the alt-right, circa 1944.

DHTaSDRXsAAO2XI.jpg

Kind of cute, but I'd actually call it "Centre, attacking first alt-right, then a year later, alt-left for the next 45+ years.  ;)

Regards
G2G

What's that catchy little phrase when comparing the two sides again? Oh, right, "false equivalency".  ::)

I said to myself the soviets had an amphibious landing against the germans? That whooshing sound above my head

jmt18325 said:
There's not much need to spin that.

I mean, if you're looking for confirmation bias, absolutely no need to spin anything. You'll read what you want out of the text regardless of what words are on there.

PuckChaser said:
I mean, if you're looking for confirmation bias, absolutely no need to spin anything. You'll read what you want out of the text regardless of what words are on there.

Anyone who can say that there are two sides when we're talking about an actual nazi rally, complete with white nationalist terrorism, goes far beyond confirmation bias.  When David Duke praises your assessment of events, it goes far beyond confirmation bias.  When you say 'what about the alt left?' (sic) when discussing what happened at an event where a your girl was murdered, you're beyond confirmation bias. 

Justin Trudeau deserves nuanced thinking.  Stephen Harper and Barack Obama deserved nuanced thinking.  Donald Trump is now far beyond that, despite his previous (sometimes, depending on the day) repudiations.

You know, it is possible for there to be more than one bad guy in the room jmt.

jmt18325 said:
Anyone who can say that there are two sides when we're talking about an actual nazi rally, complete with white nationalist terrorism, goes far beyond confirmation bias ...
Remember, it's still ok to say there's more than one side.  That said, there's this ...
Kat Stevens said:
What's that catchy little phrase when comparing the two sides again? Oh, right, "false equivalency".  ::)
... and the fact that just because there's two sides, the shades of grey (ideally) pop out when discussing the legitimacy/tactics/"rightness" of the respective sides - including the most extreme examples of both sides.
PuckChaser said:
... You'll read what you want out of the text regardless of what words are on there.
In fact, zackly how various media do it #CherryPickingWithDifferentGlassesOn

QV said:
You know, it is possible for there to be more than one bad guy in the room jmt.

Sure - in this case, one just happens to be a nazi.  Anyone who can hate another person for such vile reasons never deserves any benefit of the doubt as far as I'm concerned

jmt18325 said:
Sure - in this case, one just happens to be a nazi.  Anyone who can hate another person for such vile reasons never deserves any benefit of the doubt as far as I'm concerned
But it's wise to not let one's hatred keep one too blind to learn about the enemy, if nothing else to learn the weak points ...  ;)

milnews.ca said:
Remember, it's still ok to say there's more than one side.  That said, there's this ...... and the fact that just because there's two sides, the shades of grey (ideally) pop out when discussing the legitimacy/tactics/"rightness" of the respective sides - including the most extreme examples of both sides.In fact, zackly how various media do it #CherryPickingWithDifferentGlassesOn

Okay, hold it right there.  Before the tragic events of last week, the principal offenders in muzzling anyone who dared not to engage in right-think were Antifa and BLM.  Rioting on college campuses and smashing people in the head with bicycle locks, burning and looting, and at least indirectly inciting the murder of cops and white folks in general, and overthrowing the government.  I IN NO WAY SUPPORT ANY SORT OF -ISM, except anti-assholeism, and there is plenty of that to go around.  Any time that the irony of Antifa taking it's tactics directly out of the Brownshirt's playbook from the 1933/34 season is shouted down as a false equivalency.  So is your picture.  To equate thugs on any side smashing up shit with those guys going up that beach, including three Great Uncles, only one of which came home, in order to stop a great evil in a DECLARED WAR with rules and everything, is in my opinion pretty fucking weak.  I get it, you educated guys are way smarter than us deplorables who swing shovels and whatnot for a living. It's your world, we just work in it. Shan't bother you any longer.

Kat Stevens said:
Okay, hold it right there.  Before the tragic events of last week, the principal offenders in muzzling anyone who dared not to engage in right-think were Antifa and BLM.  Rioting on college campuses and smashing people in the head with bicycle locks, burning and looting, and at least indirectly inciting the murder of cops and white folks in general, and overthrowing the government.  I IN NO WAY SUPPORT ANY SORT OF -ISM, except anti-assholeism, and there is plenty of that to go around.  Any time that the irony of Antifa taking it's tactics directly out of the Brownshirt's playbook from the 1933/34 season is shouted down as a false equivalency.  So is your picture.  To equate thugs on any side smashing up shit with those guys going up that beach, including three Great Uncles, only one of which came home, in order to stop a great evil in a DECLARED WAR with rules and everything, is in my opinion pretty fucking weak.  I get it, you educated guys are way smarter than us deplorables who swing shovels and whatnot for a living. It's your world, we just work in it. Shan't bother you any longer.
I'm gonna reel back in & rephrase, then - I'm NOT saying both sides are equal (hence your quote).  I'm just saying that you have to look at both sides to compare/contrast, nothing more.  I read your assessment & get it, 150%.  You're also likely to see assessments go the other way, but you have to consider both sides - like I also said later about "knowing your enemy".

Sincere apologies if you considered that a shot of ANY kind - not intended that way.  I respect your opinion as much as anyone's here, so I certainly don't think my glasses are better than yours.  Different, maybe, but not superior.  Mea culpa ...

I barked. Fire, Ready, Aim. Been a shit day, apologies to all.

Back