• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things Charlottesville (merged)

I wonder if

By progress you mean kicking the can down the road after the obligatory promises to "do better" and some "be quiet for a bit" money.

"Do better" has become such a fake platitude.
Except we are doing better. Society as a whole I mean, not individuals like FJ.

Going back 55 years, homosexual acts were criminal.

Going back 17 years and gay marriage wasn't legal.

Going back even 10 years, and transgenders were far less accepted or open.

And I think in 20 or so years, looking back ,2021 might be that real watershed moment for FN, when Canadians finally accepted that Residencial schools were as bad as FN said they were. And that going forward there has to be a real reckoning on the relationship with FN Canadians.

And Canada will be better for it.

You know what? This is fine.

Because the next generation will know. They will grow up with the knowledge and acceptance of what happened was wrong, and how everyone needs to do better. And the generation after that even more so.

Looking south, post slavery, reconstruction and Jim crow were the obvious reactionary results of that grand societal change. But fast forward to today and blacks are fully integrated into society and most of society knows what was done to them was wrong.

Progress happens, regardless of your individual thoughts on the matter.
We've known about residential schools ever since PET was PM and before. We knew it was wrong then just like we do now. This isn't newly discovered. Even various elders have stood up and said it's bullshit. Something they knew about and accepted a long time ago. Pretty amazing all this started about the same time as the grits went into election mode. JT just picked the scab for votes. Reservations were brought to the front when PET promised them more Residential schools and clean water. A promise successive liberal government has reneged on, then promised every election since, including our current glorious leader who promised it was front and centre of his government in 2015 and here we are in another election cycle and he's done nothing but apologize and blubber at every opportunity to blame us nasty white people for screwing the FN, and his famous tag line "We must do better." While I applaud the sentiment, he has no intention of doing anything. Just another part in a play where he has the leading role and spotlight. I could say so much more about this interloper, but his lovers would want me banned again.

I think you mean descendants.
Exactly. Those slaves had no more to say then than they would now. Their race, family, traditions and clans were wiped out by the Victor's when all history, for them, was verbal and you're not going to get the Victor's descendents to talk about it now. Extrapolating on your US example, if we hadn't had the book, by JF Cooper, we likely wouldn't even know about the Mohicans who populated the Ohio Valley. Until the Mohawk, literally, hunted them down to the last man and killed them. The book Last of the Mohicans is history, not fiction.

Exactly. Those slaves had no more to say then than they would now. Their race, family, traditions and clans were wiped out by the Victor's when all history, for them, was verbal and you're not going to get the Victor's descendents to talk about it now. Extrapolating on your US example, if we hadn't had the book, by JF Cooper, we likely wouldn't even know about the Mohicans who populated the Ohio Valley. Until the Mohawk, literally, hunted them down to the last man and killed them. The book Last of the Mohicans is history, not fiction.
That Novel is an excellent read. It is however historical fiction with probably one of the best historicaly background considering when it was written.

the Mohican, we’re never wiped out. Were displaced under US policy. And still exist. The Mohegan who were thought to be the actual inspiration for the book also still exist and I believe still occupy part of their traditional lands.

there actually never was a “Last of the Mohican or Mohegan” in reality.

We've known about residential schools ever since PET was PM and before. We knew it was wrong then just like we do now. This isn't newly discovered. Even various elders have stood up and said it's bullshit. Something they knew about and accepted a long time ago. Pretty amazing all this started about the same time as the grits went into election mode. JT just picked the scab for votes. Reservations were brought to the front when PET promised them more Residential schools and clean water. A promise successive liberal government has reneged on, then promised every election since, including our current glorious leader who promised it was front and centre of his government in 2015 and here we are in another election cycle and he's done nothing but apologize and blubber at every opportunity to blame us nasty white people for screwing the FN, and his famous tag line "We must do better." While I applaud the sentiment, he has no intention of doing anything. Just another part in a play where he has the leading role and spotlight. I could say so much more about this interloper, but his lovers would want me banned again.
I love that a talk about Charlottesville can somehow circle back to talk about how bad PET and JT are.

Anyways, I digress, I feel like this conversation has been derailed enough as it is.

I love that a talk about Charlottesville can somehow circle back to talk about how bad PET and JT are.

Anyways, I digress, I feel like this conversation has been derailed enough as it is.
Yeah, well it wasnt me that started it. I agree.

Nov. 23, 2021

Jury awards $25 million in Charlottesville "Unite the Right" rally civil case​

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. — Jurors on Tuesday found the main organizers of the deadly right-wing rally in Charlottesville, Va., in 2017 liable under state law for injuries to counterprotesters, awarding more than $25 million in damages.

As for what they are going to do with the statue, now in storage.

In yesterday's news,

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. — The statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee that drew violent protests to Charlottesville, Virginia, will be melted down and turned into a piece of public art by an African American heritage center.

Nov. 23, 2021

Jury awards $25 million in Charlottesville "Unite the Right" rally civil case​

Can the state issue an attaching order against their mother's basement that they live in? I sincerely doubt that any of these blokes have any assets worth going after. Judgement-proof and extremist seem to be two terms that share a lot of common territory on a Venn diagram.

:unsure:

Back