• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things LASIK surgery (aircrew/other -- merged)

While Im aware that Combat Divers are part of the Combat Engineers, I would have thought that the course/trade would have had another set of requirements all its own. Given how tough it is said to be to become a Combat Diver, this comes as a bit of surprise.

Does anyone know if you are eligible for sick leave if you have laser eye surgery?

I have read the leave manual and the QR&O's and they conflict. Is laser eye surgery considered "elective"? I have a signed memo from my CO saying I can get it done. Most of the operations that I have had done while in the AF are considered "elective" but made me more productive (better solider/ not sure how to describe it).

Gum grafts and had my septum fixed. I received a week for each of those.

I'm going to speak with the Flt Doc next week, but I was wondering if anyone else has sick leave approved?

I apologize if it was already answered in this thread, but it starts in 2004 and goes on for pages, I skimmed most of it and searched and didn't find anything about about laser eye surgery and leave.

Cheers,

Mac

Last I heard, you still have to take annual...gum grafts, I can see if your gums aren't healthy, neither are you, and nose, if it's causing a problem, then it's no longer cosmetic.  Fact of the matter is, until it's covered by at least one provincial health care plan, they're not going to pay for it or give you leave for it.  On the bright side, your meds are covered now.

MM

George Wallace said:
A guy I was just on course with had laser surgery done on his eyes fifteen years ago.  He is now wearing glasses again.  He is in his early Thirties, so this is not a case of "old age".  This brings up the question as to how long one can expect to go without glasses after having laser eye surgery?  It apparently is not for the remainder of your life.

He was supposed to wait until his vision had stabilized before having corrective eye surgery. My ophthalmologist told me I should wait until my prescription remains unchanged for at least 2 years.

My understanding is that laser eye surgery simply reshapes the cornea and does not correct the condition that causes your vision to worsen nor does it correct the condition that causes you to need reading glasses (which is caused by the hardening of the cornea.)

I suggest anyone thinking of getting laser corrective eye surgery, go visit their ophthalmologist first, and discuss it with them. If the ophthalmologist is not associated with any laser eye surgery clinic, they should be able to give you an unbiased opinion.

I had laser eye surgery (PRK) done almost 12 years ago.  I went from V4 (almost V5) to V1.  I'm still V1, but now use glasses occasionally to sharpen things up (i.e. driving at night).  The fact of the matter is that your eyes change over time and even if you've never worn glasses in life up to now, does not mean that you won't need them eventually.  Laser eye surgery does not stop time.  Your eyes are still subject to change and you should never consider it a permanent thing.  Another thing to keep in mind is that laser eye surgery can correct myopia, hyperopia, but NOT presbyopia.  In other words, if you're near-sighted or far-sighted, laser eye surgery can help, but if you need bifocals, you're SOL.

My wife had it done and still needs reading glasses - some people also regress, it's not uncommon.  Like was said, you should wait until things settle down and are stable before doing the procedure.

MM

My eyes aren't perfect.  I had laser correction surgery, but I'm still color blind.  Is there any piloting occupation available to me?

You can't pilot an aircraft, especially ones containing passengers other than yourself, if you're colour blind.

qwiks said:
My eyes aren't perfect.  I had laser correction surgery, but I'm still color blind.  Is there any piloting occupation available to me?

The answer is yes, believe it or not. You can still get a restricted CPL; the restrictions being that you can only fly during the day and that you can't go NORDO at a controlled airport.

As for the CF, you can be a pilot with "minor defects" in colour vision, whatever that means. Looks like you'd also have to pass something called a "Farnsworth Panel D-15 test." Probably best to speak to an ophthalmologist about that one.

Here are some links:

Transport Canada Medical Standards: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/regserv/cars/part4-standards-t42402-1412.htm

CFP 154: http://www.forces.gc.ca/health-sante/pd/cfp-pfc-154/default-eng.asp

:+1:

Actually, having reviewed the CFP 154, you need to be a CV2 - which means a small amount of error is allowed in the Ishihara Plates but you pass the Farnsworth Test.   

MM

Hello, I am interested in becoming a pilot (a lot of people are I know). I have searched the forces website about my problem and came out blank. I'm in a trippy situation. I'm not sure if you guys get a lot of questions along these lines, so I apologize in advance if there was... I noticed many people here get anal sometimes. Anyway, I am currently 16, almost 17. Everything is looking good except for my left eye. My left eye is below pilot standard of V2,  therefore making me unsuitable unless I recieve laser eye surgery. My birthday is on the 27th of August, 1995. Even if I recieve LASIK or PRK procedures, I was informed that there is a minimum 6 months recovery period for all applicants. I know that all applicantinons must be in by mid January of the next year. Would that mean that I wouldn't be able to apply right after the surgery?
(For example:
Surgery date: August 27th 2012
Date I become elligible: Febuary 27th 2013, meaning I cannot apply on the following year and must apply in 2014?)

Or is there a loophole around that somehow? I've heard that the medic must decide that I am fully healed during the pilot medical or I will not be meeting the requirements. I'm certain that I am not the only one who was in this situation. (Late Birthdays) Or can I under go surgery after being accepted? (During RMC years during summer break). Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Globemaster77 said:
Hello, I am interested in becoming a pilot (a lot of people are I know). I have searched the forces website about my problem and came out blank. I'm in a trippy situation. I'm not sure if you guys get a lot of questions along these lines, so I apologize in advance if there was... I noticed many people here get anal sometimes. Anyway, I am currently 16, almost 17. Everything is looking good except for my left eye. My left eye is below pilot standard of V2,  therefore making me unsuitable unless I recieve laser eye surgery. My birthday is on the 27th of August, 1995. Even if I recieve LASIK or PRK procedures, I was informed that there is a minimum 6 months recovery period for all applicants. I know that all applicantinons must be in by mid January of the next year. Would that mean that I wouldn't be able to apply right after the surgery?
(For example:
Surgery date: August 27th 2012
Date I become elligible: Febuary 27th 2013, meaning I cannot apply on the following year and must apply in 2014?)

Or is there a loophole around that somehow? I've heard that the medic must decide that I am fully healed during the pilot medical or I will not be meeting the requirements. I'm certain that I am not the only one who was in this situation. (Late Birthdays) Or can I under go surgery after being accepted? (During RMC years during summer break). Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

-If previous years are any indication, you have until November if you're applying for pilot, not January
-No, they won't let you get zapped during summer break. They wouldn't hire you for pilot unless you've already had the procedure.
-Why would you want to get zapped on your birthday?? Just wondering!
-I'm pretty sure they'll still process your application and let you write the CFAT, but they won't do the medical or send you to ASC until the six months are up. That's just a guess. I'm not familiar with anyone who has attempted this, nor do I work at the recruiting centre...
-Would waiting until 2014 really be so bad? I can't see into the future, but I'm pretty sure the Canadian Forces will still be here then.

In any case, don't go to one of those places that advertises $490/eye or any of those places that advertise on radio or TV where the eye surgeon sounds more like a game show host than a doctor. :nod:

EDIT: Also, how come you applied for the glider pilot course this year? You know you're eligible for the power pilot course, right?

I am aware of the power program. But I joined a bit late and new standards say level 4 minimum. I am 3.
In addition, I'm planning to get "zapped" on my birthday as it is ASAP. So I would have as much time as possible to heal before applying. Not a very good plan I know lol.

I would suggest going to your local recruiting centre, and asking to speak with one or the head medical officer on duty their , explain your situation and see what they have to tell you. When I inquired about laser eye (I'm not applying for Pilot, but my vision is poor) the med officer told me that even sometimes they do not condone or support certain laser eye procedures, because they do not support them, it may not correct what is needed to be fixed, I know it is a little confusing I found it a little overwhelming.

Sorry to ramble, point is, inquire at your local centre, either calling (i suggest in person) and/or speaking to your eye surgeon!

GOOD LUCK! :salute:

If it says 6 months, they mean 6 months - no loophole.  You'll need a letter from your surgeon as well attesting to your vision and how well you've healed.

MM

medicineman said:
If it says 6 months, they mean 6 months - no loophole.  You'll need a letter from your surgeon as well attesting to your vision and how well you've healed.

MM

In addition to the above, most reputable surgeons won't touch you until your vision stabilizes sometime in your 20s.

ModlrMike said:
In addition to the above, most reputable surgeons won't touch you until your vision stabilizes sometime in your 20s.

Again, my worries exactly. Some say it is unsafe to take the surgery until your vision completely stabilizes.

ModlrMike said:

Yeah was going to say this. You don't want to go to some hack, and a responsible doctor should tell you to wait until around 24-26ish.

I am not currently going through for a trade that required an air crew medical but have went through a similar situation.

I am 22 and went to LasikMD and they said to me that sometimes after surgery there is a chance of your eyes regressing (obviously the chance increases the worse your eyes are) but they are able to go in after and "re-tweak " the eyes back to 20/20 and eventually it will stay (they told me the cost of them to even touch the eye after is roughly 1000$ which makes the life time warrenty seem very valueable )

When i asked the warrant at the RC what would happen she commented that i would need to be 3 months of stable vision and recieve a letter from lasik md stating such. Now i remind you this is STABLE i had a friend of mind who at 2-2.5 months during his recovery his eyes got better which reset the clock on the 3 months and ultimately set his application back roughly 8 months untill he could say he was 3 months of stable vision.

This is just my experiance and i hope it has helped somewhat, as always i suggest you contacting the RC and finding out for yourself.

Back