• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things LASIK surgery (aircrew/other -- merged)

I had LASIK custom wavefront done september 18th. I then had my medical appointment on the 24th, passed with CV1. On a side note, I applied for ROTP so i'm not entering the CF until about June (provided I get accepted :D). The officer in charge of the medical said if I was applying for immediate entry for reserves I should have waited 3 months before doing my medical,and up to 6 if it was for regs. Just my 2 cents ;)

On a side note, definitely do your research about which institution is best, I would base my choice upon how many successful surgeries have been performed by the eye surgeon. I chose Lasik MD in Hamilton, as they have a good reputation, average costs, but amazing post-surgery care to ensure everything is going ok.

GoCanada said:
I had LASIK custom wavefront done september 18th. I then had my medical appointment on the 24th, passed with CV1.
Ummm, you do know that CV is Colour Vision, right?  Somehow, I doubt LASIK will help with that.  ;)

To people in the process of getting laser eye surgery:

Don't forget to pick up the form (at your CFRC) that the ophthalmologist who operated your eyes will need to fill up only three months and one day after the surgery (PRK in my case) date.

Update time...... Got off the phone on Tuesday with the Med WO in Calgary and i was told the following (still in the pre-merit list life):

1) No reliance on medicated eye drops
2) All follow up appointments with your surgeon/optometrist to be completed
3) Must wait a minimum of 90 days from the date of surgery before they want the letter of confirmation from the Surgeon on what procedure was done

Now that I've said all of that, i have completed my 1 week and one month follow up. Currently 20/20 in my left eye and 20/25 in my right eye (it always has been the weak eye. Next appointment is scheduled for 2 days after the 90 day wait time. Now if everything goes as planned they accept that form and i can go down to get my medical re-done and be ready right when they drop all the new F/Y jobs.

Good luck to any and all looking at Eye Surgery!!

Thanks for the info, and good luck to you too on your next vision test, hope you'll make in the trade you are looking for.

I was wondering, what do you mean by

1) No reliance on medicated eye drops

Still working on my English  :)

After your surgery you are prescribed steroid drops to help with the healing of your eyes. PRK requires the drops for up to 6 months. Lasik for me involved drops for less than ten days.

In my case (PRK), I need to put drop in my eyes for 3 months. However, by "no reliance", you mean that you have to be done with your eyes medications before getting in CF.

Just wondering if anyone in the infantry has had any problems doing the job with Lasik or PRK?

@ Antoine...im not up to snuff on the verbatim of their rules but i would assume that no drops means just that...Any Medtechs here with a view on it?

It means no more steroids and no regular (read all the time) need for tears - the odd artificial tears here and there aren't a big worry.

MM

A guy I was just on course with had laser surgery done on his eyes fifteen years ago.  He is now wearing glasses again.  He is in his early Thirties, so this is not a case of "old age".  This brings up the question as to how long one can expect to go without glasses after having laser eye surgery?  It apparently is not for the remainder of your life.

Honestly, if I could afford it, and get just one year without glasses, for me it would be worth every single penny.  I have worn glasses since I was twelve. I hate my glasses, and can not wear contacts (shape of eyeball leads then to shift to the back of my skull, and it sucks to dig them out from there).

It depends what form of laser you get because there are so many out there.. Lasik has alot of issues with eyes not focusing properly after an extended period of time.. PRK is one of the best procedures

Your eyes were reset to the state they were before your myopia started following a successful surgery and healing. Then, your myopia might come back slowly after 5 to 10 years due to your genetic and/or your life habits (bad lighting when reading, lot of computer work, and so on....).

However, Optometrist and Ophthalmologist are reluctant to talk about it as it might be difficult to predict. But, they made a point to tell me that they can't do anything to fix the hyperopia (farsightedness) that comes with aging.

Disclaimer: This is my :2c:, I am not an optometrist neither an ophthalmologist.

Just a clarification that the farsightedness that occurs due to aging is called "presbyopia" as opposed to hyperopia.  There is a difference, as presbyopia is caused by the stiffening of the lens in your eye as you get older.  You are right however that there is nothing that they can do to surgically correct it (yet), whereas hyperopia can be corrected through laser surgery.  As for how long the surgery will be effective, Antoine pretty much hit the nail on the head.  If your eyesight is continually degrading, it will continue to do so post-op.  The surgery is best for those people whose eyes stabilized pre-surgery (i.e. their prescription hasn't changed in the last few years).  So far, I have had fantastic results - I underwent Intralase-LASIK in 2008, and now have 20/15 vision in both eyes with no signs (yet ;)) of any degradation.

i have my medical check very soon and i've had lasik about a week ago..should i tell them i've had lasik and reschedule my medical 3 months in advance or go to medical and then tell them there when they ask?

galgal23 said:
i have my medical check very soon and i've had lasik about a week ago..should i tell them i've had lasik and reschedule my medical 3 months in advance or go to medical and then tell them there when they ask?

tell them now, and they"ll tell you what's appropriate to do. No point wasting their time by showing up if you can't take your medical

Cat said:
tell them now, and they"ll tell you what's appropriate to do. No point wasting their time by showing up if you can't take your medical

are you sure? I was thinking getting the hearing test etc out of the way and then coming back in 3 months just to get the vision checked..Wouldn't that be easier? only I'm not sure that's allowed..

galgal23 said:
are you sure? I was thinking getting the hearing test etc out of the way and then coming back in 3 months just to get the vision checked..Wouldn't that be easier? only I'm not sure that's allowed..

Call them.  Tell them.  Why should they do two medicals for you if they don't have to?

This seems to be a really confusing topic, are pilots in the CF allowed to have LAISK?  I've heard so many people saying yes and no that I think I'm more confused then when I starting looking up all this stuff.  ??? Like on the DND site, it seems to say you can have LASIK, but most people on this forum seem to say you can't. http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/commun/ml-fe/article-eng.asp?id=4322  I was also told by a CF recruiter (online) that it is allowed.  My eyes are -2.5 if that matters at all.

I won't be trying to join for around 2-4 years, depending on if I get into Athabasca University or not this year.  The program I want to take seems pretty easy so if I work a lot I think I can get it done quickly.  ;D Because I have a bit of time, if I'm allowed to get LASIK when should I get it?  I'm still young and I'm a little worried that my eyes will get worse so would it be possible to get LASIK after I do basic training and stuff like that?  Is the CF willing to pay for it?

Thanks!

Back