• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All Things Vegetarian/Vegan (merged)

Hmm, oddly enough, this is one of those self selecting, self fulfilling prophesies.

If you have time to worry about your vegan diet, then I suppose you probably should stick to being a vegan. :)

Man that was DEEP.

neuromancer said:
I dont have any reason for being vegan other than personal choice, I just dont want
cancer/heart disease/ etc, et
c, and feel that I can be perfectly healthy eating a
complete vegan diet.
Thanks!

...Heh. Not worth my time touching that one.

To answer your question though.. My mother is one. It was rough for her in the field (although it wouldn't have been if she had taken some Soy protein bars like I suggested and she later regretted not doing) but all in all, she made it through. They did make an effort to satisfy her demands, and a few others on her course (a Hindu who obviously had some different needs) and gave them individually prepared meals. In the field she survived on grape juice - that was the hardest for her. Someone dropped the ball and for 2 days she had terribly nutritional intake, but luckily someone took control of the situation and got the meals delivered for her on time.

In the end .. overall it was fine with a few rough spots.

Hmm.. interesting thread!

Just thought it might help if I posted a *little* information concerning vegetables.

Tell me if you see a pattern...

Greece: Percentage of death from heart disease, diabetes, stroke and cancer: 35%
          Percentage of calories from unrefined plant food (uncooked vegetables): 32%

Mexico:  Percentage of death from heart disease, diabetes, stroke and cancer: 25%
          Percentage of calories from unrefined plant food (uncooked vegetables): 45%

Korea:  Percentage of death from heart disease, diabetes, stroke and cancer: 21%
          Percentage of calories from unrefined plant food (uncooked vegetables): 59%

Thailand:  Percentage of death from heart disease, diabetes, stroke and cancer: 12%
            Percentage of calories from unrefined plant food (uncooked vegetables): 74%

Laos:  Percentage of death from heart disease, diabetes, stroke and cancer: 6%
        Percentage of calories from unrefined plant food (uncooked vegetables): 92%

Know what that means folks? Heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and yes.. CANCER are preventable
by simply eating a diet of MOSTLY fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds. 

Lets compare that to what they eat in the USA

USA
Percentage of deaths from Heart Disease, Stroke, Diabetes, and All Cancer: 78%
Percentage of calories from uncooked unrefined plant foods: 14%

Call me crazy if you want to, but just because I want to join the CF doesnt mean I
want to die by a bullet to the head, and I definitly dont want a heart attack, stroke or even cancer.

Did someone say Vegetarians had an eating dis-order? *smug cough*  ;D  :salute:

i cut all meat out of my diet at once, and for years i was pretty unhealthy. i eat special low fat cheese with the only animal product being milk, and i eat eggs. no fish, chicken or meat.....but cutting meat out of your diet should be done over a number of years (7 years is the number i've heard the most) and i'm sure you are aware, that a well balanced diet mixing the proper carbs and veggies with fruit is essential. it's never a bad idea to help  your diet along with a complex B vitamin suppliment, it helps the body deal with the stress hormones which will act up when diet is changed like that.
you may find your self taking longer to heal from simple injuries or cuts, that means you are missing something.
fatigue could be from a lack of iron in your diet, spinach is great for that.

but for your concerns about heart/stroke and cancer, eat everything green, or high in vitamin C, or E.
nuts are great, but high in fat, and have to be fresh, old nuts their oil can to bad and it becomes a cancer causing agent.

i'm concered about the diet when i get to BMQ too, but that's not until Nov.
your diet right now is very important to keep it building a healthy body, so keep it tight now, and it will be better for you if you get hit hard in CF.

...and by that do you mean you're new to the whole "nutrition/health" business?

How about some facts?

The facts of the matter are than in the recent decades there have been over 3500 scientific
studies involving over 15,000 research scientists all reporting a relationship between the consuption of
meats, poultry, eggs, and dairy products and the incidence of heart disease, cancer, kidney failure,
constipation, gallstones, diverticulosis, and hemorrhoides, just to name a few health problems.

If you would *like* to believe but want more facts, an easy way to find out is to Google for
the "China-Cornell-Oxford Project", which is the most comprehensive large study ever undertaken
in modern history of the relationship between diet and the risk of developing disease.

Go and find out for yourself, it will be a lot easier than you and me arguing about facts.

Yes, vitamin B12 is essential for vegans.

Other important factors are Omega3's and well as vitamin D.

A good source of Omega3's are flax seeds. Vitamin D is produced naturally in your skin tissue when it is exposed
to summer-time sunlight and then stored in the liver for year round usage.

Being healthy does take a little forthought and effort, but its well worth the effort.

How much thought and effort do you put into maintaining your car, or your gun? Will you have
that car, or gun or whatever.. in 10 years? 20 year? 50 years? You'll still have the same body, so
better take good care of it or.. or you wont have to worry about anything at all.

However, for those who might worry that I wouldn't eat enless its veggie and endanger
myself in some way, let me just say it now.. I would eat meat rather than endanger myself.

A little meat is not going to kill you if you have no other choice, especially if you
are already a healthy person.

However, I've never been in a situation where I had no choice in the matter.

Loaf of bread, can o'beans and Im happy as a clam in soup.

after a number of years of not eating beef, if i eat something that has beef fat/lard in it, or cooked in it. my stomach will let me know.
beef is very heavy to digest, and if you don't do it for a long tme, it's painful to try.

mcdonalds used to have they fries cooked or coated in beef fat, unaware of this, i did eat them a few times, the last time was when i was told about the beef fat. i always thought it was just the orange pop that was too sweet and upset my stomach.

even if the grill is saturated with beef/meat fat, and my food it cooked in it, i feel it within an hour.

go beans and flaxseeds....

neuromancer said:
Yes, vitamin B12 is essential for vegans.

Other important factors are Omega3's and well as vitamin D.

A good source of Omega3's are flax seeds. Vitamin D is produced naturally in your skin tissue when it is exposed
to summer-time sunlight and then stored in the liver for year round usage.

Actually... the best source of omega 3 is fish oil... you can get bottles of it at the grocery store, pharmacy's, or if your really picky... even from the manufacturer directly :)

Hey I eat meat and I want cancer and heart disease 

what??

You cannot totally avoid cancer.  Some types can be somewhat preventable, however some cannot.  However having a good diet is good because of other health reasons.....HOWEVER...you have to make sure that you are getting all your essential nutirients.  The one thing that comes to mind is iron intake because I believe if you become anemic one of the effects is being tired (something you dont want while on basic). Just because you are a vegan doesn't mean you can't get all your essential nutrients, however it is hard to do so, even in the civy world.  But one thing I would not recommend is giving up and eating meat on course, you will definitly get sick!

Are you claiming that a "vegan" diet is superior to a normal, helathy, balanced diet composed of all major food groups?

I always thought the problem was over eating and undereating certains foods that caused problems?

I always thought the problem was over eating and undereating certains foods that caused problems?

Throw lack of excercise in there and you're pretty much on.

don't be crazy! Obviously, eating the sorts of things we've been eating for millennia, is simply wrong and unhealthy. Anybody can see that.

Britney Spears said:
Are you claiming that a "vegan" diet is superior to a normal, healthy, balanced diet composed of all major food groups?

Exactly, I'm glad you understand what I'm saying.

Allow me to explain, because maybe you think I'm kidding.

Since early childhood we have been bombarded with incorrect nutritional dietary advice, and
unfortunately the scandal continues today.

Lets look at the role of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The role of the USDA was
originally to promote the products of the animal agriculture industry.
Over fifty years ago the USDA began promoting the so-called four basic food groups
with meat and dairy in the number one and number two spots on the list.
Financed by the meat and dairy industry, and backed by nutritional scientists on the payroll
of the meat and dairy industry, this promotion ignored science that was known
even back at that time.

The program could be more accurately labeled "the four food myths." It was taught
in every classroom in American, and by extension also in Canada, with posters
advocating a diet loaded with animal protein, fat, and cholesterol. The results
have been most dramatic -- in more ways than one. North America began eating
more and more animal foods. The campaign sparked the beginning of the fastest-growing
cancer epidemic in history and heart attack and stroke rates have soared ever since
to previously unheard levels. These figure are consistant in every country that has
since adopted the North American style of diet.

Now with all the scientific data available today, including massive investigational studies
on human health and diet, you would think that people today would know which
foods are best to eat and why -- but most people are still confused, and some are
more confused than ever (Atkins Diet).

Why? For starters, the American Government spends $20 billion a year on price supports
that benefit the beef, dairy, and veal industrys. This money is given to farmers to artificially
reduce the cost of crops used to feed cows, thereby helping to reduce the prices we pay
for dairy foods, fowl, and meat. The meat and dairy industry is huge and powerful, they
don't exactly like the idea of being renamed "the cancer and stroke industry"

In 1998 the National Cancer Institute budgeted one million dollars to promote the virtues of
fruits and vegetables. Compare that with McDonalds and the 500 million dollars they spent on
T.V. ads alone that year. The major cause of all diseases afflicting people in the west today
is produce-deficient diet.

Based on an exhaustive look at research data from around the world over the past 15 years,
the recommendation is that your diet should contain over 90% of its calories from unrefined plant
foods.

This high percentage of nutrient-dense plant foods in the diet allows us to empirically predict
freedom from cancer, heart attacks, diabetes, and excess body weight. Fruits, vegetables,
and beans must be the *base* of the food pyramid; otherwise, you will be in a heap of trouble
down the road. Guaranteed.

The diseases that afflict, and eventually kill, almost all North Americans can be avoided. You can
live a high-quality, disease free life and remain physically active and healthy. You can die
peacefully and uneventfully at a ripe old age, as nature intended, but in order to do so you
must throw-out the incorrect notion of "a diet balanced in the four major food groups" unless
by "balance" you mean only 10% of calories coming from things other than plant-foods.

For example if you consume 2500 calories per day, 10% of that would be 250 calories, 250 calories
equals about 2.5 oz. of steak. The rest of your daily calories would have to come from plant-foods.

Hope that clears it up.

Nutrients Present in 100-Calorie portions of selected foods

Broccoli Sirloin Romain Lettuce
Protein 11.2g 5.4g 11.6g
Calcium 182mg 2.4mg 257mg
Iron 2.2mg 0.7mg 7.9mg
Magnesium 71.5 mg 5 mg 43mg
Potassium 643mg 88mg 2,071mg
Fiber 10.7g 0 12g
Phytochemicalsvery high 0 very high
Antioxidantsvery high0very high
Folate 107mcg 3mcg 971mcg
B20.29mcg0.04mcg0.71mcg
Niacin1.64mg1.1mg3.6mg
Zinc1.1mg1.2mg1.8mg
Vitamin C143mg0171mg
Vitamin A6,757 IU24 IU18,571 IU
Vitamin E5mg03.2mg
Cholesterol055mg0
Saturated Fat01.7g0
Weight357g25g714g

Notice how much more vegetable matter you must consume by weight
as compared to meat products? This allows your stomach to feel full while
not having to gorge yourself with thousands of excess calories and fat
which end leading to obesity, and disease.

I have a good buddy that is a vegan. While we were in Battle School he let the instructors know about it and they informed the kitchen. They brought a different meal for him and another vegan that was on course at the time, plus there are vegetarian rations in the system. Get used to eat the same shit over and over in the mess halls though, they normally don't have a huge selection for vegans there.

Hunter911 said:
Actually... the best source of omega 3 is fish oil... you can get bottles of it at the grocery store, pharmacy's, or if your really picky... even from the manufacturer directly :)

Its always best to get your fats as nature packaged them, unprocessed, unheated, and inside natural packages.

If you want fish oil then eat fish, not capsules.

I strongly recommend fish over meat, but even then, not more than twice per week.

Fish is one of the most poluted foods we eat, and it may place consumers at high risk for various cancers.

Finland consumes lots of fish, their mortality rate from coronary heart disease is one of the highest in the world.

In some instances, such as with PCB's in Great Lakes trout and salmon, it can be shown that a person would have to drink
the water for 100 years to accumulate the same quantity of PCB present in a single half-pound portion of these fish, reported
John J. Black, Ph. D. senior research scientist for the Roswell Park Memorial Institue to the American Cancer Society.

Also, fish oil has a high tendancy to be rancid by the time it is ingested, crack the capsule, if it tastes like gasoline its rancid.
Consuming rancid fish oil puts a hugh strain on your liver.

Instead, I recommend eating Omega3's in a natural and healthy form.
Flaxseed, Walnuts, Tofu, and Soybeans.

Also, anyone insterested in health and vegetables will probably be interested to read what was
posted in this thread http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/30884/post-246390.html#msg246390

Britney Spears said:
Are you claiming that a "vegan" diet is superior to a normal, healthy, balanced diet composed of all major food groups?

i would claim that.
i eat milk, and eggs,
but a balanced diet without meat, eggs, fish or cheese, is Superior to one with them.
out intestines, is unlike any meat eating animal, it's too long to deal with meat effective.
our teeth are not made for it. (compared to other meat eaters)
our bodies (bowels and teeth) look like that of animals that eat nuts, and fruits (including veggies)
all things should be ingested in moderation. too much soy is very bad for you, a little is good for you.
too many nuts are bad, too much olive oil, too much wine   :crybaby: etc
a little meat isn't going to kill you, but only because your body is use to it. give it up for a few years, you're body will reject the idea of digestionit again. (and i know at least two other vegetariansthat have had trouble going back to meat)
but meat eaters will never really understand, not a day goes by where someone at works make fun of the meals i bring.
"my GOD where is the meat on your pasta?, or how do you make chili without meat?" it's called beans LOL

one other thing..... what's this icon?   :bullet: oh, it says bullet LOL

I dont have any reason for being vegan other than personal choice, I just dont want
cancer/heart disease/

I eat meat in every single one of my meals, and I have never had a single health problem, no allergies, no broken bones, nothing.

Back