• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All world war two guys read please?! Patrick Pattenaude

hey,

Pea, i feel bad I am trying to type proper
sorry for the typing errors.

Nadine  :-[

p.s. All the answers i get on here are well done :D

No need to feel bad. It would help to take some time to re-read your posts and use the spell check function, that's all.

i will do that 
so whats everyone doing this weekend ??

Nadine

nadine
I did stay in some houses, in France,though many had no one living in them.Mostly though I slept on the ground rolled up in a sheet that was made from a kind of rubbery stuff. That's when we could sleep,The German's were always on us trying to push us back.so you sort of slept with one eye open for two years,I don't know how much they teach you in school about such things.but,people in France and Holland and all those countries,Belgium too. those people were very hungry,it was terrible for them, they ate whatever they could find,which wasn't much,because everybody was out looking for food too. those times watching those people suffer,they still haunt me.
                                                                                        Jack

jack,

i learned alot in highschool and what we see on video is really sick and twisted
concentration camps and people going hungry...i had a hard time watching that stuff
but its good to know about it.
How did you get food? did you look as well? or no?
my grandpa said they had cans of food supplyed
in thier rucksacks or army bags i guess you call them.

Nadine

NadineR said:
i will do that 
so whats everyone doing this weekend ??

Nadine
Nadine, you have been asked twice to use proper English, now. Both times you have stated that you would comply. You have not. Please do so. Thank you.

para-mod-boy

well,I suppose it is good to know about,that we learned that too much power in one man's hands can be a terrible thing.if he can get people to follow his ideas,it can be a dangerous thing. Hitler made sure that everybody knew of his hollow promises,he made every couple that got married own a copy of his book that he wrote while he was in prison,Mien Kampf, He prayed on his own people by doing this,because they were hurting from the debt they had acquired from the first world war,So,he made them all these promises about  what life could be like for them, But,they shouldn't have taken from everybody else to make that dream come true.That's kind of like somebody promising you a whole bunch of stuff,then going and robbing your neighbor to give it to you.
Yes,we had canned rations.when you could get to them.or when they could get to you, it's hard when everybody's on the move,supplies have a hard time keeping up.And you can't go back to get them.because the German's will just come in where you left.Then your right back where you started.we,hardly ever looked for food,how,can you take from those that don't have.we did eat some that was given by the people,but it made you feel awful,eating their food,But.they just wanted to do something for us,because we saved their lives.

nadine
Just slow down,and take your time,dear,there's no big rush.If this old guy can type with two fingers then you can type too,Right?
Just pay attention and you'll be fine.

Jack,

I read your last post, And I think Hitlers book was stupid I have seen it but I haven't
Read it all and I don't really want to.
I hope there is never another "Hitler"
And I'm guessing the canned rations were not that good ? 
what was in them ?

Nadine

If we couldn't make it to where they could feed us,we had emergency rations,Biscuits.chocalate.There was a tinned meat that we had, but they didn't really give that out for a one man ration,one can would be meant to feed two or three.I guess they call it spam.we use to ask what it was,the bullies(cooks) use to say,you know that part of the pig between the tail and the nose,well,it's none of that.

hey,

Well at least You had chocolate and some biscuits.
And yes i believe it's called Spam,
What about writing letters, Would your Mom or Whoever you wrote to
send food? could They? 

Nadine

A soldier could write home,if he had a moment to sit and write,some wrote at night if they had the paper,But writing at night was very risky,A sniper could see you,see a small light or movement and you would be dead.Paper was sometimes hard to come by.And letters were censored so badly,some never bothered to write.But,you always tried to write,even a hello,and send it,so that people would know you were alive.
For people to send food,it took so long to make it to you,it might not be worth eating,when you did get it,And sometimes,you got a package,with a note that said,enjoy the cookies from home,But,there was no cookies.And that made Jack sad.Sad and mad. I carried the paper off that package for weeks,because I could smell the cookies in the paper,I use to sit at night when it was quiet and smell that paper and those cookies and drift home.It was heaven.if only for a short time.

Jack,

That is scary, and they were censored? I guess so the Nazi's wouldn't get to where
you were right?
and yeah I'd Be sad and mad about cookies to!
Did You stay in the trench's or just walked all night and or stayed in houses?
depended right??
I have so many questions i don't usually know what to ask.

Nadine :)

Nadine
In a war the size of that,who do you know to trust,If someone were to write a letter home and it said,for example.hi this is Fred , from  a certain Canadian regiment,I'm sitting in Paris right now. If the information fell into the wrong hands. Just a small misplaced word could be used to track troop movement.And there were spies everywhere in England, So,you had to be careful what you wrote.This is where the old saying, loose lips-sink ships comes from,that's why many just sent a note when they could saying they were alive. No.We didn't have trench's,we had foxholes sometimes.You would dig a small dip down in the ground,so that if a mortar landed close to you,the blast would go over you,unless it landed in the hole with you,then the boy's would just cover it over.A trench is more for a defensive position,and we were on the offensive,We fought in towns and in what they called the hedgerows.rows and rows of hedges that people had around their properties.It was terrible for sniper's and hidden tanks and enemy machine gun nests.We didn't walk at night,That would be very risky,you could walk right into the enemy,without seeing them.And snipers operated at night,because a light can be seen for miles.A man lighting his cigarette at night,not being careful,was dead.
Get yourself a piece of paper,and write down what questions you want to ask me,and when you have a bunch that you know you want to ask, ask me. I won't be around until later today,so have them ready.
                                              Jack

hey,

Here are some questions,

1. Did You have walkie talkies to communicate?
2.Did You have codes (Morse ..etc)?
3. Have a faverite weapon?
4. What was your faverite place to go to when You were not fighting 
5.Who is the first person You saw after the War?

Well I hope these questions are alright to ask talk to You later.

Nadine 

Nadine
We had a wireless walkie talkie, that the companies used to communicate with the headquarters, but we had people who’s job it was to operate them and to carry them because they were quite heavy, But they didn’t reach far, just a couple of miles, I think about 3- 4 miles if I remember correctly.
I don’t know if they had a code, I suppose they did for some things.
I used a Lee-Enfield Rifle, Bolt action 303 calibre. But, I loved the Bren 303 machine gun, but I was never able to use one when we were fighting.
When I wasn’t fighting, I liked going into the towns and Relax and laugh with the other guy’s, to try and leave our problems behind, talk about life back home. Talking about it, made you feel like you were there. If you were near the rear echelon, you could relax and sleep, Boy.I could never get enough sleep.
The first person I saw when I got home was parkie’s sister, she met us at the train and took us all out to the farm, and we ate and slept and ate and slept, for a week.

Jack

hey,

Well that sounds pretty cool, 3-4 miles isn't far though
And my Grandfather knew Morse code, Don't know what he used for 
The Bren 303 is a nice gun too.
Sleep would have been nice id rather sleep then fight.
That's just me though!
What did you have for food when you got home?

Nadine

many knew morse code.it was a way of communicating if the radio was unable to transmitt voice,By using on-off a person could communicate.
When we got home we had whatever we wanted ,has long has it was moose meat and potatoes.parkies family was pretty hard up,but his sister was a very good cook,I guess she had to be looking after about 10 or 11 kids on next to nothing,parkies mother died giving birth to his youngest sister,and his older sister had to raise the whole bunch.and she was only 16 years old,Such was the hardships of many back then,since the young men were going off to war, It left  those who were left behind,a lot more work,and people still had to eat, so it wasn't just the soldiers overseas who suffered with hardships.

Hey,

Aw that sucks I am sorry about parkies mom
and his sister is pretty brave.
11 kids is alot though.
I like potato's ha ha
but I'd want steak when i got home. 

Nadine

Nadine.
Yes, she had a strong will. To be able to look after everyone, six of them were older, but she had five kids that were all about six and under, and one set of twins in there. One of the hardest things I had to do when I came back, I had to go and see Mrs.kyle.Her son had joined up around the same time has I did, we were good friends growing up.
I have debated telling you this, I felt that young people shouldn’t have to listen to stuff like this, But, this is important what I pass on here, remember this what I tell here. Because I have no doubt that your grandfather knew them or of them. And you should know who your grandfather served beside and maybe shared a laugh with.
Mrs Kyle’s son was one of the boy’s that the Hitler Jugend shot at the chateau d’audrieu on June 8 1944.And to have to tell her how her son died was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done, but I could not lie to her. He was a very honourable young man. Very soft-spoken and kind of shy, a typical farm boy. He deserved better than to die in such a way.
When we landed on the beaches at Juno, and fought tooth and nail to get that beachhead and secure the positions for our friends to follow. We never dreamed that what was to follow were days, that would haunt us for the rest of our lives, Our enemy that the nazi’s put us up against were the Hitler jugend, the Hitler youth,The dreaded 12th SS. They were young boy’s that the nazi’s had raised to be devote followers of Hitler. They swore oaths to him. And they held up his image very well, they killed without mercy, and little or no remorse. They had taken children and brainwashed them, into being the same has Hitler, full of hate and wickedness, such, was the nazi dream to turn the whole world into followers such has this. I am haunted all the days of my life having to face children in battle, and I hope that god has mercy on my soul. But, Such is the horror of war. They would not surrender, and they fought like possessed maniacs. It was terrible, thousands of them fell to us, but, no matter how many fell, it did not stop the rest from coming.
I curse the ground that raised such a person has Hitler, to have done this to me. He took the farm boy that I was and turned me into a killer of children.

Jack

Back