• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Am I a good DOE(R) candidate?

• Thread starter Thread starter Potential Recruit
  • Start date Start date
Hi Potential Recruit,

I actually have a very similar private sector resume to yours, I'm a PR/Public Affairs consultant at a national agency who decided that civvie life wasn't enough.  I decided to sign up as a reserve Infantry Officer (and I'm older than you are) and despite a long and sometimes frustrating recruitment process, the decision was the right one.

If you are motivated enough, and understand what you're getting into, it can be the best decision you can ever make. I only regret that I didn't do it sooner.

Cheers
mdh

Hey MDH.  There are more than a few of us considering joining (or re-uping) at a later age(30, 35, 40).

Any stories, overall info, anecdotes, advice you could give us would be great on your travels and travails from Officer Cadet to trained 2nd L.T.

I'd love to hear it all.  Feel free to shoot me an email too.

Ted

Hi Mr. Ted,

I was sworn as a 2Lt. a couple of months ago so I'm very green (at least from the military's perspective).   I was a Pvt. in the Armour Reserve a long time ago (I was attacked by a Tyrannosaurus Rex at Meaford once but that's another story), and decided that it was time to come back at this stage of my life since it was now or never.  

Throughout the intervening years even though you want to return you get side-tracked by career or family - which I imagine is a fairly typical pressure on most would-be reservists.

I think if you want to rejoin, talk to the unit you are interested in - I know it can feel self-conscious when you think you're not in the ideal age bracket, but if you have former military experience it usually indicates that you're not a Walter Mitty and that you know what you're getting into.   You will also be boarded by other officers who will thoroughly review your application and your desire to re-join.   They will let you know if you're a good candidate - or not.

I note that most units want committed members who are going to provide stable leadership and I would suggest that older members are more likely to stick around for the long haul - and that's worth the investment in terms of training especially if you are able to put in 15-20 years service.    I think posters like Argyll Recruiting can offer some perspective on this.

The only other thing I can add is don't get frustrated by the selection process - it can be irritating, but the system has recently been speeded up so that units can enroll recruits more quickly. Like the Nike slogan says, Just Do It.

Which leads me to one one final point: fitness.  I would put a premium on getting into the best shape you can. There is a fitness guide produced for the combat arms which offers some good exercise regimens.  Go further than that even, and try running in boots and backpack, it's a great way to improve endurance.

Feel free to PM if you need any more detailed information,
Cheers
mdh    

CRA at 60 does not guarantee that you can serve until 60.  You must still be Med fit and able to pass the express test.

Yes, well, the med and fit test requirements is a given at any age in the CF!

That aside, I'm still looking forwards to my retirement and pension!

Back