• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Am I Cut Out for RMC?

Aitrean

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm almost 17 now, and want to get into the Royal Military College when I graduate high school so I can go on to become a pharmacy officer. For just over a year I was in the Air Cadets and made it up to Corporal rank. However, around February I had a sudden change of heart and decided I wanted to be a software engineer, I quit cadets, turned in my uniform, and told my flight commander (politely) something along the lines of "I'm never coming back". Alas, I was young and foolish several months ago, and recently I realized the computer programmer lifestyle wasn't for me. Now I'm back on track and devoted to getting into RMC, but I'm no longer a cadet! Without the experience of cadets, do I stand a chance at getting into RCMC? My other qualifications are:
-Biotech club
-Weight room club
-Running club
-Robotics team
-Mediocre billingualism (I dropped out of French after grade 9, but took private online tutoring, will that matter?)
-Took peer leadership courses and phys ed
-85% Average (88% if I only count my 6 highest marks)

It's still several months until I can start applying to university, but I really want the assurance I'll get into RMC. Any suggestions on what else I can do to look better, even without cadets? Can I say I was just "in" Air Cadets, without disclosing how long or when?

Aitrean said:
... but I really want the assurance I'll get into RMC. ...

Sorry, there is no assurance that you will get into RMC.  There are several current threads on RMC and ROTP, including school mark questions and extra curricular activities that should answer some of your questions and help you get a better idea of what is suggested.

As for the Air Cadet situation, IMO non-disclosure is along the lines of lying.  Be open and honest.  And if Cadets still interests you, why not get back into it?

edited to add:  In fact, there is a whole board dedicated to RMC:  http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/board,56.0.html

Just so your aware you wouldn't attend RMC it would be a civie UNi as Pharmocology isn't offered at RMC

Chalupas said:
Just so your aware you wouldn't attend RMC it would be a civie UNi as Pharmocology isn't offered at RMC

Before I can study pharmacology I need a bachelor of science, or at least two years in the program, which RMC offers.

Aitrean said:
I'm almost 17 now, and want to get into the Royal Military College when I graduate high school so I can go on to become a pharmacy officer. For just over a year I was in the Air Cadets and made it up to Corporal rank. However, around February I had a sudden change of heart and decided I wanted to be a software engineer, I quit cadets, turned in my uniform, and told my flight commander (politely) something along the lines of "I'm never coming back". Alas, I was young and foolish several months ago, and recently I realized the computer programmer lifestyle wasn't for me. Now I'm back on track and devoted to getting into RMC, but I'm no longer a cadet! Without the experience of cadets, do I stand a chance at getting into RCMC? My other qualifications are:
-Biotech club
-Weight room club
-Running club
-Robotics team
-Mediocre billingualism (I dropped out of French after grade 9, but took private online tutoring, will that matter?)
-Took peer leadership courses and phys ed
-85% Average (88% if I only count my 6 highest marks)

It's still several months until I can start applying to university, but I really want the assurance I'll get into RMC. Any suggestions on what else I can do to look better, even without cadets? Can I say I was just "in" Air Cadets, without disclosing how long or when?

Work on the things I highlighted IMHO. Getting into any college is more or less a competition and you want to better your odds at getting in.

Disclosure is key as well. Besides, I don't think there is any pharmacy degrees offered at RMC.

Regards

Aitrean said:
Before I can study pharmacology I need a bachelor of science, or at least two years in the program, which RMC offers.

In that case you would have to go as interest only, a reservist or RETP, which are different selection processes from ROTP anyway. You wouldn't be competing in the same pool.

If you want to do a second entry program through the CF, it's best to leave RMC out of the picture unless you want to try out/do another trade first.

Back