• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Am i ready?

rjr said:
Are these calculations (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-stage_fitness_test#Calculations) complementary to the test used during the fitness test?

Can't be sure for certain but looks pretty close to me, can anyone confirm this?

Dante43 said:
Could someone enlighten us about WFT?

On topic : i did a test and was able to do 20 consecutive push up! I am so happy, im going to follow the hundred push up challenge to improve even further!

Cheers!

When I went through it was RFT, and I always felt bad for them  ;D As I understand it, all you do is PT and every month you get express tested and if you pass off to course you go. Its not a good place to be, but they'll get you into shape.

Remember the express test is the bare minimum you need just to be in the Forces, whatever you age, your objective should be to smash it, especially if you're going into the combat arms.

I love it when people start their careers with "can i fail XXXXXX ?"

::)

I guess I can speak from personal experience when I say I am worried about the testing... not so much because I'm out of shape, but because I've never done the actual testing before... I've done as much research as I can, I work out 2 hours a day 5 days a week in the gym preparing for it, but in the end my future career and entire life hinges on being able to pass this test.

I'm putting my 900 sq. ft. apartment into storage, shelling out $1700 to ship my car to my parents across the country, paying $2200 in lease break fees, and switching my entire career to do this... and its something I've wanted to do for a long time.

I guess all of us about to head off to BMQ just want to make sure we can achieve the bare minimums so we're not doing this all for nothing. I start April 6th and I can't wait, but I can't say I'm not nervous about it.

I'm heading off April 5th. But think of the reward and pay off. Don't plan to fail and don't get all this in your head of failing or 6.5 is so much. If you can get to that minimum. You will get better. So try more for the minimum, so if you make it, then you do. Your there to get better and better. So My brother, Don't plan to fail and don't give up.

PteR Howe

I am thinking that if any of you are willing to sacrifice all that money (DisplacedMaritimer) to join the forces, then you would also be motivated enough to ENSURE that you will PASS your BMQ.

This is a career of a lifetime.  I knew I wanted to join the forces when I was young, I stayed out of trouble and made SURE that I got selected by working my butt off to make it happen.  Don't just hope... DO.

You want to make sure you acheive the bare minimums?? You should go in knowing that you'll blow them away!!  Don't leave anything to chance if you really want this job.

Good luck to all of you, work your A$$es off and we'll see you on the other side, once you graduate and get posted to your respective units, you CAN do it!!

rjr said:
Are these calculations (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-stage_fitness_test#Calculations) complementary to the test used during the fitness test?

If so,  level 6 seems to be a joke.  My running is bad, but not that bad.

I can't confirm that either, but they look about right. I remember it being about a minute per level. You have to remember that the test isn't just running 980m in 6:22. One must remember that it's to their pace. From my experience running the test, most people would like to run faster than the 8 or 8.5 km/h (assuming those numbers to be correct) that are at level 1 and 2. Similarly, one's natural pace may be slower than the 10 km/h of levels 7 and 8. Also, there is the stop, turn and go that adds additional strain on the legs.

I know I can run longer than 4780 m in less than 22:06 but I've never made it past level 15 on the beep test.

Hope that puts the test in a little bit of perspective

Hey people, i believe i found this so called WFT, it real name is WPC i believe:
Warrior Preparation Company (WPC):
If you pass the Threshold Fitness Test Standard and meet the CF MPFS you will continue on with your training. If you pass the Threshold Fitness Test Standard but do not meet the CF MPFS you will automatically be transferred into the WPC.

This innovative program is designed to improve the physical fitness and success rates of new Regular Force members who experience difficulty meeting the required standard. The program integrates overall health coaching, diet and a rigorous personalized fitness program that lasts a maximum of 90 days.
During this period you’ll be tested regularly on your level of physical fitness. As soon as you are successful in the CF EXPRES test, no matter when that is during the 90 days, you will be integrated back into the training as soon as there is a vacancy.
If by the end of the 90-day period you are not successful at meeting the CF MPFS then you will be released from the CF. You may re-enrol in the CF at a future date if you meet the eligibility criteria and pass the CF EXPRES test. However, you won’t get a second chance at the WPC.

Whole info is here https://www.helpswitch.net/hpsw/upload/cfrg/A268C4FCCE5EBAD03FFC7237B44365A1/CF%2BFitness%2BTesting%2B-%2BUpload.pdf

I know it sound funny but powerful, since it means according to Wikipedia  : The first literal use refers to "a person engaged or experienced in warfare." The second figurative use refers to "a person who shows or has shown great vigor, courage.

Anywho, to people who did the aptitude test how was it?

I'm sure it's a good program and all... but I want to ensure I am ready before I go to BMQ just so I can start right away on my course... I'm not worried about those minimum standards though.. a 6 might still be an achievement for me... but a 3.5 seems like a 3.5 minute very slow jog from one line to another in a gym... that sounds kind of easy... can anyone confirm exactly how ridiculously easy that is? Thanks!

DisplacedMaritimer said:
I'm sure it's a good program and all... but I want to ensure I am ready before I go to BMQ just so I can start right away on my course... I'm not worried about those minimum standards though.. a 6 might still be an achievement for me... but a 3.5 seems like a 3.5 minute very slow jog from one line to another in a gym... that sounds kind of easy... can anyone confirm exactly how ridiculously easy that is? Thanks!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-stage_fitness_test

There are links at the bottom to beep tests, download one, load it on your mp3 player and go running.

Thanks much... I read through the spreadsheet which is what I was referring to in my original post... I was wondering if anyone with some personal experience running the 20 MSR can tell me at 3.5 are they even winded, have they seen anyone fail at that point who's target is a 6, and if so what kind of shape were they in... you know, personal experience...

All the charts in the world can't give me any real indication of how that might feel... I've done some testing on the treadmill and the track for myself, I just don't want to be caught off-guard by a different standard than what all the charts are telling me, or taking it too lightly.

Thanks again.

Well in secondary 3, i was able to go to max stage 3 and i was in terrible shape, last year i did a little more exercises and was able to do stage 5, hopefully, now since im trying to be more active i can achieve the stage 6.
The first 3 mins is relatively easy but after it gets faster and harder. My other school buddy did till stage 10-11 i think. He was dead! Physically anyway :p I've got to say though he did play football for awhile.

Okay, now I really want to know how old you are.  I did level 5 (no problem) two years ago at the age of 42.  I'm a smoker, drinker and not in particularly good shape.

Dante43 said:
The first 3 mins is relatively easy but after it gets faster and harder.

It starts getting faster when you hear "level one" ( after one minute)  :p

I remember back on my basic course, when we did the beep test. We had a couple people struggle to make it to the minimum standard (6.5?), but as soon as we hit the standard half the course dropped out.

Doubts about reaching the minimum standard of such a simple fitness test as the express test should be the least of your worries. I just don't get it. If you are a decently fit person (IE, being able to run 5km at a steady pace, being able to do more than 20 pushups in a row, and 20 situps) there is absolutely NOTHING to worry about. If you can't do those simple things, why are you at a point where you even want to join a physically fit (ideally of course) organization?

Of course I'm not saying to the author you aren't ready. Sounds like you are good to go. Don't fret. The biggest thing I say to people is thousands have been through basic training, and only a small percentage have actually failed.

Hey people, i got a another question, i am able to do the 20 push ups but with some degree of difficulty and same with running, although i stated this in the main post, i wanted your advice again. I am really interested in combats arms , although i am not in top shape, I am willing to do what is necessary to achieve perfect fitness for my future job. I know that with professional help at the army, i can achieve. Should i still continue in combat arms trade or switch to other ones with less physical demanding trades.

Cheers.

Dante, if you want "professional help" to get fit, join a health club and get fit through that.  In the long run it will be easier on you mentally and then once you're ready you can apply to join the Forces.

Like I stated before, if you really want his job, you are going to have to work for it.

Back