• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Am I too old, unfit or uncertain?

Good for you. All the best in your process.

Reminder to all: This private site is not an official source.

8) commander-cb you can do it! I started Reg Forces BMQ St. Jean in 2011, but VR after 5 weeks due to injuries. I turn 44 at the end of November, and am just about enrolled. I just completed the Forces test and onto the Interview and Medical next week. Hoping to get to the Reserves Weekend BMQ in January 2018. I am really excited about working with the 41 Sig Regt soon.

I applied years ago but it appears to be starting afresh. I can not see a few days/weeks/months making a big deal.
I will go for it.

I enrolled at 47, completed the training, and I wasn't even the oldest guy on BMOQ-L.  I'm still in, still grateful for the opportunity to serve.  Just stay in shape, listen, watch, learn and hydrate.  You can do it,

Good luck

Mike5 said:
I enrolled at 47, completed the training, and I wasn't even the oldest guy on BMOQ-L.  I'm still in, still grateful for the opportunity to serve.  Just stay in shape, listen, watch, learn and hydrate.  You can do it,

Good luck

I'M been enrolled at 47 y.o. too, starting BMQ in 2 weeks by week end, so far is not so bad at my armoury for the tuesday training accept last tuesday a
bit rought on physical for my age for the last 15 minutes, but i survived.......... lollllllllll

Am I too old for warrior trades? (DEO artillery, infantry officer, regular or reserve). Most topics only encourage to join, but not specifically about age+combat.

I'm nearly 33. If application go smooth I will be 35 to start, serve till 40. I was in good shape before, 10 years ago I ran 42km 100pushups, 5 years ago half this, but now half of half (Typical deterioration for 30+age civilian). Obviously no more "top shape". I think BMQ is still fine, but combat trade? There were few cases NCM beyond 35, but officers? I read through topics about BMOQ_L, DP, it's cruel with high probability of attrition, even I try very hard to regain fitness level.

Is it advisable to apply warrior trades? (e.g. If only 1% combat officer start at 35, I will just give up this idea). Thanks.

lid said:
Am I too old for warrior trades? (DEO artillery, infantry officer, regular or reserve). Most topics only encourage to join, but not specifically about age+combat.

I'm nearly 33. If application go smooth I will be 35 to start, serve till 40. . . .

Is it advisable to apply warrior trades? . . ..

Infantry officer training is very physically demanding, with only 50% completing the training.  The best description is the posting by Technoviking in 2011 - https://army.ca/forums/threads/99437/post-1018867.html#msg1018867

I had a 50-year old Officer Cadet (OCdt) (Reserves) attend the Infantry course. (School staff did discuss with me, and asked - What was I thinking?)  He was very fit, training for and running marathon's before the start of training.  He was also very determined.  He did ok on the course, and was passing when he decided that the affects to his body were not worth the final results, in view of the prospects for deployment, and field employment.  This was towards the end of the Canadian deployment into Afghanistan,  when employment as a Reserve Lieutenant as a platoon commander on deployment was very unlikely.  He could have completed the course, and would have been an asset to the Reserve unit for the 6-7 years he could serve.

While at the Reserve unit, I mentored 2 junior officers in their early 30's who were attempting the Infantry course.  Both had some difficulties, especially with the physical demands on their bodies.  Successful completion was the result of high motivation to complete the course, and by being in excellent physical condition. 

When you are on course, many/most of your course-mates will be 20-22.  Some will be extremely fit.  They will recover faster.

In the end, it will be up to you.  Is the pain and damage to your body worth the future employment as an Infantry officer? 

BCOG

BC Old Guy said:
In the end, it will be up to you.  Is the pain and damage to your body worth the future employment as an Infantry officer? 

BCOG

Not to mention the fact that, in battle, the Infantry tend to be killed or wounded in much larger numbers than any other arm or service.

Which is why we have so much fun at work!  ;D

Aircrew applicant here. Just curious as to the specific type of physical training that one goes through with respect to becoming an Infantry officer.

Roger123 said:
Just curious as to the specific type of physical training that one goes through with respect to becoming an Infantry officer.

From Technoviking's 2011 post - "The field phase is intense.  If you think that you cannot bear to carry upwards of 60 pounds in all weather, day and night, for hours at a time, and then complete complex mental tasks with little sleep or food,"

During classroom training, the candidates will be marching to/from with the full pack, wearing helmets, carrying personal and crew-served weapons.  This is followed by the field phase, where the candidate is marching with full kit day and night, while being tasked to lead, think, explain, applying the concepts learned in the classroom. This is in addition to any "traditional" Physical Fitness training that is conducted - confidence courses, jogging, calisthenics.

BCOG

Roger123 said:
Just curious as to the specific type of physical training that one goes through with respect to becoming an Infantry officer.

Infantry Officer Training
https://army.ca/forums/threads/124522.0

The Level of an Infantry Officer's Fitness 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/109545.0

How Fast should an infantry officer be able to run?
https://army.ca/forums/threads/34323.0

etc...

Infantry Officer physical training
https://www.google.ca/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&dcr=0&biw=1280&bih=603&ei=rgEbWr7NEJGgjwSOtqioCA&q=site%3Aarmy.ca+physical+%22infantry+officer%22+&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca+physical+%22infantry+officer%22+&gs_l=psy-ab.3...2538.3790.0.4964.7.6.0.0.0.0.129.521.4j2.6.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..2.0.0....0.OFy3hRuv8EQ

BC Old Guy said:
While at the Reserve unit, I mentored 2 junior officers in their early 30's who were attempting the Infantry course.  Both had some difficulties, especially with the physical demands on their bodies.  Successful completion was the result of high motivation to complete the course, and by being in excellent physical condition. 

When you are on course, many/most of your course-mates will be 20-22.  Some will be extremely fit.  They will recover faster.

Yes that's the post worried me. Before reading that post I think I maybe just fine, after, I feel combat officer actually applied (though not stated) US age 27 threshold as physical requirement, and I'm out unless I'm ironman athlete beyond age. I don't want to be someone "waste time and resource", or struggling to pass lowest standard.

I'd like to know more about the average, similar examples and statistics. For the two 30+ officers, do they finally keep up entire service period? Throughout all combat mentees you had, what percent is 30+ age? (e.g. 3% in regular? 5% in reserve? or the few examples are the only could recall?).

I'm open to other trades, in selection process will it be "less considered for combat/ have better chance elsewhere" even if I put combat first choice?

lid said:
I'd like to know more about the average, similar examples and statistics. For the two 30+ officers, do they finally keep up entire service period? Throughout all combat mentees you had, what percent is 30+ age? (e.g. 3% in regular? 5% in reserve? or the few examples are the only could recall?).

Average age of Infantry Officers,
https://www.google.ca/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&dcr=0&ei=zAUbWuWOIsq3jwSs5YugCA&q=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22infantry+officer%22+%22average+age%22&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22infantry+officer%22+%22average+age%22&gs_l=psy-ab.12...0.0.0.34955.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1c..64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.qSQ8S-ARL3E

Too old for the Infantry?
https://www.google.ca/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&dcr=0&ei=4gYbWt2JE6bojwTc74j4DA&q=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22too+old%22+infantry&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22too+old%22+infantry&gs_l=psy-ab.3...44780.47567.0.48771.10.10.0.0.0.0.110.748.9j1.10.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.vP3_PfpH18g

mariomike said:
Average age of Infantry Officers,
https://www.google.ca/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&dcr=0&ei=zAUbWuWOIsq3jwSs5YugCA&q=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22infantry+officer%22+%22average+age%22&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22infantry+officer%22+%22average+age%22&gs_l=psy-ab.12...0.0.0.34955.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1c..64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.qSQ8S-ARL3E

Too old for the Infantry?
https://www.google.ca/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&dcr=0&ei=4gYbWt2JE6bojwTc74j4DA&q=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22too+old%22+infantry&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22too+old%22+infantry&gs_l=psy-ab.3...44780.47567.0.48771.10.10.0.0.0.0.110.748.9j1.10.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.vP3_PfpH18g

I did the research, read many posts (50+ pages) about age (and more megathreads about training) before I ask, including many of your previous answers. Still, typical results are "I know a few supermen, not me", "I'm 40,50 done BMQ (not related to combat)", and positive enouragement "age is not the problem". No statistics (percent % of 30+ age first join combat officer) to help decision, or any person telling his own training experience in age group. I understand such data maybe unavailable, discouraging or negative, but google again couldn't help more. Thanks anyway.

lid said:
Yes that's the post worried me.

Sorry - the data-set is too small to generalize.  I provided those examples as just that - examples of what could be done.  One has since left the unit, the other is a major.  Could the one that left the unit have been as successful as the one who is now a major - probably.  Life's circumstances change for all of us, and results in different decisions on whats best for ourselves and our families.  Some are successful, and stay, others are successful and leave. 

Could you pass the Infantry course? - Probably.  Will you WANT to pass?  That is the more important question in my mind.  If your answer is - Maybe, you may want to chose an occupation other than Infantry Officer.

You don't need to be super-fit to succeed.  However, you DO need have very good physical fitness, with emphasis on endurance and hiking in rough terrain with a heavy pack,  and a DESIRE to lead in the Infantry.

The other answers in this thread provide good information to help you to make up your mind. If you wish to continue this discussion off-line, send a PM.

BCOG

I just realized my question very silly. Because
many/most of your course-mates will be 20-22
so age situation don't apply to the most. Of course not enough sample for the quite few outliers. It must be very personal specific. (I basically give up the idea) Sorry for trouble.

May I restate this age+combat query as poll:

Suppose/image you/your peers are 35 now (was in combat before but not current), need go through BMOQ_L, DP1.1, 1.2, Could you do it? (considering physical fit and deprive of sleep)

A. Can do it right away ;D (easy difficulty)
B. Need 1-2 month fitness prep before the course :whistle: (normal)
C. Need 3-6 month prep  :((hard)
D. Need longer time or, could just barely pass  :not-again:(veteran)
E. No way/Not applicable :whistle:

not seriously expecting answers, but change the way to ask may help?

Out of my lane so I will qualify my comments by saying I am Combat Service Support, not Infantry, Combat Trades please correct me.

I don't know if that survey will work... I think most would agree that the courses would be easier the second time around as you know what to expect.  It's understandable to focus on the physical demands but the mental demands are equally stressing.  I'm a Sig O, we have a technical role, but in many aspects Combat Trade Officers and NCOs are much smarter then me -- I think they are like quarterbacks, directing a large and complex team on the fly.  I just spent the weekend supporting an Armored Recce exercise, a lot of moving parts, moving very quickly.  They told me Armored Officer has one of the highest minimum required scores for CFAT -- I believe it. 

I like the earlier post about stats -- it would be helpful to the decision process if we could publish success rates on courses by age, length of service by age, etc.

lid said:
I just realized my question very silly. Because  so age situation don't apply to the most. Of course not enough sample for the quite few outliers. It must be very personal specific. (I basically give up the idea) Sorry for trouble.

May I restate this age+combat query as poll:

Suppose/image you/your peers are 35 now (was in combat before but not current), need go through BMOQ_L, DP1.1, 1.2, Could you do it? (considering physical fit and deprive of sleep)

A. Can do it right away ;D (easy difficulty)
B. Need 1-2 month fitness prep before the course :whistle: (normal)
C. Need 3-6 month prep  :((hard)
D. Need longer time or, could just barely pass  :not-again:(veteran)
E. No way/Not applicable :whistle:

not seriously expecting answers, but change the way to ask may help?

Only fanatics need apply ;)

commander-cb said:
I applied years ago but it appears to be starting afresh. I can not see a few days/weeks/months making a big deal.
I will go for it.

Where are you in the application process? Waiting for interview/ medical etc.?

Back