• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

An old piece of iron - C1A1

NavyShooter

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
Here's something that most folks won't recognize - with some seldom seen accessories as well.

An ex OPP C1A1, with the .22 Drop in kit (complete) and the C1 Sniper Scope (complete.)

NS

Attachments

• Brads C1 with C1 Sniper Scope.jpg
    Brads C1 with C1 Sniper Scope.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Brads C1 with 22 kit.jpg
    Brads C1 with 22 kit.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 52
I can remember shooting the FNC1 with the .22 insert at the armouries (when they used to have an indoor range) to ensure we understood the principles of marksmanship prior to shooting it with normal 7.62 ammo on the normal outdoor range.

It worked really good as an intro to shooting as on my GMT course the majority of us had never shot a weapon before and we were a lot more confident having it as a workup to the full shoot.

I remember looking forward to the FN every qualification. It was long and heavy, and 'smaller statured' member had difficulty with it. It sure did have visual impact at a roadblock or incident scene.

I can remember shooting the FNC1 with the .22 insert at the armouries (when they used to have an indoor range) to ensure we understood the principles of marksmanship prior to shooting it with normal 7.62 ammo on the normal outdoor range.

It worked really good as an intro to shooting as on my GMT course the majority of us had never shot a weapon before and we were a lot more confident having it as a workup to the full shoot.
When you nail a target at 375 meters with iron sights it feels pretty good - that memory will live forever.

Fond memories of inhaling toxic levels of lead in the indoor range while a woefully unqualified person tried "coaching" shooters with the FN .22 insert, succeeding only in worsening their performance.

I seem to remember rifles being laid aside just for the insert. The handguard was marked with a red stripe. Or am I misremembering this?

I remember looking forward to the FN every qualification. It was long and heavy, and 'smaller statured' member had difficulty with it. It sure did have visual impact at a roadblock or incident scene.
As a smaller statured member, I had stuffed squirrel right cheek every time I came off the range with the FN. But the grin on the left side of my face compensated.

When you nail a target at 375 meters with iron sights it feels pretty good - that memory will live forever.
I recall the feeling that, if you hit something with an FN, it was not getting back up again. Likely, ever.

First time I fired an FNCI with 7.62 ammo I was 16. It kicked like a mule. Had to remember to grip it correctly.

We were not an infantry unit and ussually carried SMGs.

First time I fired an FNCI with 7.62 ammo I was 16. It kicked like a mule. Had to remember to grip it correctly.

I wasn't infantry. We ussually carried SMGs.
Is that after you guys turned in your brown Bess muskets ?

We used the SLR .22 sub cal device alot during workup training for Northern Ireland.

NITAT had an urban style 3D range built inside an old 18th coastal fort, with lots of mechanical targets and cameras, and we put 4 man teams, and 3 x 4 man team multiples, through the range dozens of times. Thousands of rounds a day went down range, day and night.

It was an excellent team based 'gunfighter' type training experience, and probably the most enjoyable and valuable shooting we ever did. I ran the range for a week and it was almost effortless.

All with .22 cal ammo.

The only time I used the .22 insert with the C1A1 was in Chilliwack on BOTC. If I recall correctly, there were a few minor feed problems but nothing that seriously disrupted the serial. The only experience I could compare it too was several years later at Fort Sam Houston (outdoor 25 yard range) when we shot the M16 using the .22 rimfire adapter kit but with store bought ammo (a bunch of us needed a recent range qual before going to an EFMB test). About every half dozen rounds mis-fed, it was a pain in the ass to get through the shoot.

But I fondly remember the FN. It was a real rifle.

The only time I used the .22 insert with the C1A1 was in Chilliwack on BOTC. If I recall correctly, there were a few minor feed problems but nothing that seriously disrupted the serial. The only experience I could compare it too was several years later at Fort Sam Houston (outdoor 25 yard range) when we shot the M16 using the .22 rimfire adapter kit but with store bought ammo (a bunch of us needed a recent range qual before going to an EFMB test). About every half dozen rounds mis-fed, it was a pain in the ass to get through the shoot.

But I fondly remember the FN. It was a real rifle.
The thing I don’t fondly remember is carrying the thing the field. For days…

Back