• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

An old piece of iron - C1A1

Lot of guys used their teeth.

Sounds like something I should explore the next time I have some folks over for beers....

I'm actually planning on doing a 'Meat and Greet' with some friends this summer. I have not yet attained the expert level of smoking meats, but I'm pretty good at it. I saw a video the other day where a bunch of butchers carved up a cow and a pig at the start of the day, then moved the meat onto the smoker and did a variety of pork and beef ribs...which take different lengths of time to prepare in the smoker, so for the rest of the day they were basically drinking beer, laughing and telling stories/lies and as the meats finished their cook time, they pulled that type off the smoker and sampled it around the table. My God what a way to spend a Saturday...stories, lies, smoked meats, recreational beverages....sorry to distract from the FN....anyhow...I also recently picked up a deactivated MG-08 on the Sled mount, so that'll be a neat background item to have at the BBQ.

Turn the gas setting to adverse…mind you, that was hard on the shoulder and the ears.
I don't want to be "that guy" (most of the time, but someone has to, and I'm qualified). There was no "adverse" setting on the C2. It had an 11 position gas regulator that was default set at 6. As the gun gummed up, the gas could be turned down. On really long days, I would get it down to 4, and only once to 3, and my cheek had the bruise to prove it. Only time we ever set the gas to 2 was on an exchange shoot with our American friends. They did not enjoy that at all.

Am I remembering correctly that the C1 had four settings on the gas plug, ranging from ‘donkey kick in the cheek’ to ‘Mohammed Ali planting a right hook square on your clavicle?’

Am I remembering correctly that the C1 had four settings on the gas plug, ranging from ‘donkey kick in the cheek’ to ‘Mohammed Ali planting a right hook square on your clavicle?’
If memory serves, the gas system on both was identical.

I don't want to be "that guy" (most of the time, but someone has to, and I'm qualified). There was no "adverse" setting on the C2.
Correct! The C9, which replaced the C2, has an "Adverse" setting.

I don't want to be "that guy" (most of the time, but someone has to, and I'm qualified). There was no "adverse" setting on the C2. It had an 11 position gas regulator that was default set at 6. As the gun gummed up, the gas could be turned down. On really long days, I would get it down to 4, and only once to 3, and my cheek had the bruise to prove it. Only time we ever set the gas to 2 was on an exchange shoot with our American friends. They did not enjoy that at all.
Okay. This is weird but like G2G, I only remember there ever being four settings on the gas regulator.

I've done a quick search and actually found some pictures of spare parts for the FN including an 11 setting one:

1040290.jpg

And a 12 position one referred to as an "early type"

1740040.jpg

I'm still looking for the four-setting one I'm used to.

Edited to add: Not much luck with that and I'm starting to doubt my own memory. Maybe we were taught to start with the setting at "4"? 🤷‍♂️

🍻

Last edited:
Okay. This is weird but like G2G, I only remember there ever being four settings on the gas regulator.

I've done a quick search and actually found some pictures of spare parts for the FN including an 11 setting one:

1040290.jpg

And a 12 position one referred to as an "early type"

1740040.jpg

I'm still looking for the four-setting one I'm used to.

Edited to add: Not much luck with that and I'm starting to doubt my own memory. Maybe we were taught to start with the setting at "4"? 🤷‍♂️

🍻
Yup, you're right. It was a 12 setting plug. The "normal" setting was "4". Turning it up lightened the recoil by allowing more gas to escape the gas port.

Having last fired the beast around 34 years ago, I’ll claim amnesty and accept the “Start at 4” wisdom of the others.

Only other thing I recall is seeing what happens on the first shot when one (not me!) doesn’t fully seat the gas plug properly…..ziiiiiiiing!!!

Having last fired the beast around 34 years ago, I’ll claim amnesty and accept the “Start at 4” wisdom of the others.

Only other thing I recall is seeing what happens on the first shot when one (not me!) doesn’t fully seat the gas plug properly…..ziiiiiiiing!!!

It's even better when the weapon is fired with the bayonet not fully 'fixed' ;)

Gas Plug was a 2 setting - Fire and Grenade Launcher -
- the Gas Regulator was a 12 position - theoretically 13 in the early version (the fully open was the extra number) - which is pictured by @FJAG

This is the Gas Plug
View attachment 68083
I attended my Infantry 6B during the SARP days. Before I left for Gagetown, I got a spare gas plug and gas piston rod from a gun plumber friend and polished the heck out of them for use during morning inspections. I got to Gagetown and they issued me a C7. :mad:

The recoil was nasty BUT with the proper hold on the weapon it was controllable. You knew you were firing something glorius.

Back