• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Anaerobic: bad or good?

JB 11 11

Inactive
Reaction score
I’ve been training up in preparation for when my trades open up, which, from what I am told could be as soon as March.

Anyway, I have been training for about 6 months off and on, and just came back from a month or so off. Before the break, I was averaging my cardio circuit (5km of hilly parks trails) in about 24-25 minutes with a personal best at 20 minutes (although I could not walk properly for about week after that one!)

Since then, I’ve been reading up a lot on the Forums about training with a heart rate monitor and training within my THR (60-90% of my max).
Well, I just picked up a basic rig yesterday and had a first go with it this morning. First here are the numbers I came up with for myself:

Bottom End THR:
220-32 (My age)-48(my RHR)= 140x 0.60= 84 + 48(RHR)= 132
Top End THR:
220-32 (My age)-48(my RHR)= 140x0.90= 126 + 48= 174

So, my THR is some where in between 132-174 bpm and that’s what I used on this mornings run.

The results of this run: duration was 26.2 minutes with an avrg. HR of 167 and a max of 183. I was in the THR for 18.9 minutes out of the 26 and was over the 90% mark for just about the remainder.

Judging by what I’ve read here and elsewhere, I was pushing well into anaerobic territory, and going with a chart on Wikipedia on the subject(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Exercise_zones.png)
I was anaerobic for more than half the run.

My question is this: For cardio development, is that a bad thing or a good thing?

For me, my goal is to be able to easily meet and exceed the JTF fitness requirements. I figure it’s about the best bench mark one can have going into the forces. But will training at this intensity get me there? Or should I be slowing things down and really work within the THR as much as possible?

JB

I doubt anyone can answer that specifically for you, but in a week or two, your body will.

Read up about overtraining, and the physiological affects it can have, and keep an eye out for those signs and symptoms.

Training as hard as you are is good, if done right. Don't over do it. Adjust your intensities (never 2 hard sessions in a row) and rest appropriately and your training will continue to improve.

JB,

You should always consider the specificity principle of training.  Physical fitness improvement are highly correlated to how you training.  If your prospective job (or the fitness evaluation for it) requires you to push your Anaerobic Threshold, then it is in your best interest to work on that. 

I will also Second what Rider Pride said about over training.  Very few individuals (including Elite athletes) can consistently work at or above 90% max effort without suffering chronic injury.

I hope this helps 

Try using the Karvonen Formula (found here) to determine your exercise limits. It's reputed to be more accurate.

Just worked out my THR usuing the formula ModlrMike posted. Using this formula I got a THR of 137-164 vs. the old formula result of 132-174. I'll give the new calculation a go and see if it makes any difference. ;)

Back